Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Nervous Novice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

Hi everyone!

Although I've been intermittently reading a lot about raw feeding and even trying it once some years ago, I never really got the nerve to do this in earnest until a few weeks ago, around mid December. I'm very nervous about getting the right amounts of things. But I got some advice from the Poodle forum I go on but decided that a forum dedicated to raw feeding would be a good idea.

I have a Chihuahua mix named Jose` that is almost 14 years old. He doesn't chew up the bones, as he has some teeth missing...too many, is my guess. I'll let him gnaw on a thigh bone the best he can just to hopefully clean his teeth a little bit but he doesn't do much damage to it. So, I give him some Nature's Variety pre-made raw and sometimes some premium canned food at a separate meal. He gets some fresh raw when I am feeding eggs/shells. If not, I'm afraid he won't get the right amount of calcium, so I rely quite a bit on better commercial food for him. I suppose if I could find out how much bone meal to give him, I could do my own raw mixtures instead of Nature's Variety. He's about 10 lbs by the way.

My other two dogs are toy Poodles, one very small, at a tad over 4 lbs and the other is around 7 lbs. Maurice and Matisse respectively. (I'd love to make a siggy but don't know how. Matisse is the white one in my avatar) They're doing quite well so far, at least seemingly. But I am nervous. I'll post somewhere else what types of things I'm doing or write down a sampling of some meals...and perhaps some of you with loads of experience and know-how can give me some tips or feed back. I'd be very much obliged. 

I appreciate those who are willing to share experiences. I look forward to reading more threads as the days go on. Thanks!

• zeusthedapple likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Sometimes for the older guys ground is a big help. Sites like hare today have just about all the proteins in ground form, with bone and organs included. And it's not commercial so you know what you are feeding. 

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Here's some general diet advice:

At least three meats in her rotation--but more is better. Red meats are also supposed to be more nutritious, but honestly I'm not sure how much more that is.

Make sure to give liver at around 5% of diet (either feed weekly or daily). This can be from any species.

Chicken feet (and duck, if you can find them) are a good source of glucosamine and chondroitin (for joint health).

For conventionally raised meat (like you get at the grocery store), offer some salmon oil or oily fish (e.g. mackerel) to the diet for omega-3 fatty acid to help balance the omega-6. Too much omega-6 in the diet can cause inflammation, hence the need to balance it. My dog doesn't like fish, so I pump some salmon oil over his food when necessary. Grass-fed meat animals have a better omega-3/omega-6 ratio which shouldn't require supplementation.

Some raw feeders aim to have every meal balanced, while others shoot for balance over time. Balance over time doesn't mean that you're feeding poorly balanced meals and hoping "it'll all work out." It does mean that the meal today may have more bone than necessary, while the meal tomorrow may have less bone. Organs/liver may be fed once a week or even multiple times per week, just not every day. Regardless of how you approach it, you should be giving the approximate portions needed.

For smaller dogs, poultry bones tend to be better suited for them (e.g. chicken, duck, Cornish hen). Of course they can have muscle meat and organs of other species, its just that some of the larger animal bones might be too much.

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

Thank you Naturalfeddogs. I just took a quick look at that site and it looks amazing! Thank you!

Trdmom....thank you very much for the tips. Many of the things you mentioned I'm happy to say I'm doing. I've been popping open a fish oil capsule and squeezing it over the food some days. And feeding sardines a couple times a week, which they like. But they don't seem to be crazy about salmon. I found some lamb on sale and I've been using ground turkey and beef. I had to buy a bigger freezer and am waiting for it so I can buy some unusual meats I found at one of those big, Asian markets...so many weird things but talk about variety! I'll make a separate thread and list some of what I'm doing. 

That's interesting about the grass fed animals having a better omega 3/6 ratio. I'll be looking for that. And yes, I've heard about the unbalance causing inflammation. Yikes! 

I have been feeding liver and tongue for organs. Now, finally, I've found some kidneys at that International market. I have gizzards too but read that they're not nutritionally adequate to qualify as an organ meat. But they can be used as a muscle meat. Heart is good I read because it has taurine in it...very good stuff. I found gizzards and hearts in a package that was very inexpensive. 

So thus far, I've been estimating the organ meat...(Yes, I read that it should constitute 10% of the diet but only 50% of organ meat should be liver) So, I'm so stoked I found some other types of organ meat finally. 

Thank you for your experience and knowledge. It means a lot because I'm truly nervous about causing harm.

• naturalfeddogs and A D like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Thank you Naturalfeddogs. I just took a quick look at that site and it looks amazing! Thank you!

Trdmom....thank you very much for the tips. Many of the things you mentioned I'm happy to say I'm doing. I've been popping open a fish oil capsule and squeezing it over the food some days. And feeding sardines a couple times a week, which they like. But they don't seem to be crazy about salmon. I found some lamb on sale and I've been using ground turkey and beef. I had to buy a bigger freezer and am waiting for it so I can buy some unusual meats I found at one of those big, Asian markets...so many weird things but talk about variety! I'll make a separate thread and list some of what I'm doing. 

That's interesting about the grass fed animals having a better omega 3/6 ratio. I'll be looking for that. And yes, I've heard about the unbalance causing inflammation. Yikes! 

I have been feeding liver and tongue for organs. Now, finally, I've found some kidneys at that International market. I have gizzards too but read that they're not nutritionally adequate to qualify as an organ meat. But they can be used as a muscle meat. Heart is good I read because it has taurine in it...very good stuff. I found gizzards and hearts in a package that was very inexpensive. 

So thus far, I've been estimating the organ meat...(Yes, I read that it should constitute 10% of the diet but only 50% of organ meat should be liver) So, I'm so stoked I found some other types of organ meat finally. 

Thank you for your experience and knowledge. It means a lot because I'm truly nervous about causing harm.

Tongue is considered a muscle rather than organ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO