Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

International Pet Travel

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
The time has come for my husband and I and Samson and Roo to move back home to the States from Africa. It's a 30 hour trip total, and yes, that was the shortest route we could find. Because the dogs are huge, they have to travel as cargo. We got their travel crates months ago and they are very accustomed to them. I've slowly increased the time they spend in the crates so they've never felt stressed and usually when I open the crate door they are so comfortable they don't even get out.

My main question is about using benzodiazepine to help keep them calm. The vet here recommended it because the flight is so long. A certified dog trainer I've been working with for years over Skype and email also recommended it. She has helped me with Samson's fear issues and I really trust her. Despite these two recommendations, I am still worried about it because everything on the Internet says DO NOT sedate dogs for air travel as it inhibits their ability to regulate their bodies. Any advice on this? Any personal experiences?

I am also wondering when I should feed them their last meal before they fly.

I am really anxious about flying with the dogs and would appreciate any tips or advice on international pet travel. Thanks!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Wow! Huge move! Sorry I have no advice for you, just wishing you all the luck in the world!

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

I would feed them the day before, but not the day of the flight. Some animals get motion sickness and it could get unpleasant.

Unless you think your dogs will be very anxious, you may be OK without the drug. If you want to use it, I personally would feel better testing my dogs with the recommended dose while home to see how they react with it. If it causes any negative side-effects, you can get them treatment ASAP. Good luck!

• naturalfeddogs likes this

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
My dog Samson flew from South Africa to Malawi, a 2 hour flight, when he was 4 months old and I suspect it really traumatized him and sparked a lot of his fear amd reactivity. If a two hour flight freaked him out, I'm scared to think what 30 hours might do. Part of me thinks he will just fall asleep and be fine, but another psrt of me thinks he will have a panic attack.

I feed one meal at night. Do you think I should feed the usual night meal or move it up and feed in the afternoon to make sure thry habe time to poop before the flight?

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

My dog Samson flew from South Africa to Malawi, a 2 hour flight, when he was 4 months old and I suspect it really traumatized him and sparked a lot of his fear amd reactivity. If a two hour flight freaked him out, I'm scared to think what 30 hours might do. Part of me thinks he will just fall asleep and be fine, but another psrt of me thinks he will have a panic attack.

I feed one meal at night. Do you think I should feed the usual night meal or move it up and feed in the afternoon to make sure thry habe time to poop before the flight?

Aww, poor guy! Mine had a 10+ hour flight as a pup--he looked worn out and melted into me when I held him.

What time is the flight? Morning or night? If at night, I would give the meal earlier in the day (morning or early afternoon). If in the morning, then I would feed the night before.

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Is it really a 30 hour straight flight? If it was recommended by your vet then I guess that would be the least you could do for them during your travel. 30 long hours is pretty serious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO