Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New To Pmr In New York

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Meadow910

Meadow910

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
Hi! We're new to the PMR scene and would love to connect with other PMR feeders. Any advice, pointer, meat source suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Our girl, Dolly, is a 12 week old Great Dane
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great to have you! 

• Meadow910 likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Welcome!

For meat, check local raw feeding mailing lists (e.g. Yahoo!) and local farms. I've found meat through my local raw feeders list and a farmer via Craigslist. Also, if you have a butcher or grocery store with an actual butcher in their meat department, they can order in bulk for a better price. For example, the small packs of turkey necks go for about $2/lb in the grocery store, but I was able to order a large case for about $0.80/lb.

• Meadow910 likes this

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Welcome! As far as meat we have a local restaurant supply store that we go to for our meat. They recently started cutting deals with us so we are getting great meat for cheaper. Also we have a butcher we go to as well and we get great deals because we continue to go. The best advice that i can give is dont be afraid to ask. If you have questions these folks have been doing this awhile andhave a wealth of knowledge. Ask around for meat in your area...i found the restaurant supply store by accident googling chicken quarters. I webt for paying 69-99 cents a pound to paying 12.99 for a 40 lb case! It pays to do some searching. Good luck and cant wait to see pics of your baby!
  • Meadow910 likes this

Meadow910

Meadow910

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to finally feeling comfortable with my raw feeding skills. Lol! I am a licensed veterinary technician so I'm a bit handicapped from the get-go. All of my training tells me you're not supposed to feed raw, but due to an excellent explaination from an exceptional breeder along with further research, I decided to give it a try. We've had Dolly now for about one month. She has never had kibble. The prep in the beginning was starting to get to be a bit much but now that she can handle bigger pieces and we don't need to go crazy trimming fat it's much easier. My two biggest obstacle right now is knowing what to get as far as cuts of meet and RMBs. I have an excellent source for chicken quarters, I'm paying between 39-49cents per pound. I started adding pork last week that I found on sale. I've been trying to find a guideline or shopping list. Once I get the hang of what we should be feeding I can get a better handle on where the best place to get it will be.  Luckily, I live in an area where there is much ethnic diversity so variety shouldn't really be too hard to find. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks again! 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I wish all vet techs were as open minded as you. I'm an equine vet tech myself, and even I don't say a whole lot about it. 

We'll be more than glad to help you!

Meadow910

Meadow910

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks! I've never been one to pass judgement on others and always expected the same in return. We never really had too many clients that were raw feeders but when we did the Docs always had a lecture on the why nots. I'd heard it a million times and when I found a breeder (gasp) that I was comfortable with that only feeds raw I honestly didn't know what I was going to do. I decided rather than writing it off altogether to do some research and I liked what I was learning. Dolly is doing excellent on the raw diet, so I guess we made the right choice.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO