Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New Dog

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Adopted a little girl yesterday. She's a Basenji/Chi cross, only 1yo. I'm a tad nervous to start her on PMR. Zeus was so easy since he eats everything in sight, there is nothing he won't eat. She always licks Zeus' bowl clean when he's finished eating, so I offered her a dime size piece of lamb. She just played with it and walked away. I'm not sure if that's any indicator as to how she will handle the new diet. Right now she's on Fromm until I get everything ready for her new diet.

• OctavioMype likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Sometimes it takes a little time to get them to understand that raw is food. Most aren't used to real food. Give it time, and keep offering. She will get it.

• zeusthedapple likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Congrats on the new addition!! Don't worry, a hungry dog will eat. :)

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Thanks you guys, I'll keep offering! :)

Update: Just served breakfast, offered her some kangaroo. She loved it! Perhaps she's just not a big fan of lamb, or maybe it took seeing her "brother" eat raw to know what to do.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

You can try offering the lamb again later, after she gets the hang of it a little better. She may decide she likes then.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

It's so nice to see how far she's come into this diet. She had lamb lung for breakfast, something a couple months ago she would have never touched. I wanted to share this with you guys w/o starting a new thread... I've been taking the pups to the dog park lately and I think the 'senji in her has just been itching to get into trouble. She's finding holes under the fencing and yesterday she squeezed under and into the "big dog" side of the park. (She loves getting dogs to chase her and loves a big chase). I ran so fast and jumped this fence to grab her. There were huskies, shepherds, and even a coonhound over there, I didn't know these dogs and I'm not going to take a chance to see who has the high prey drive and doesn't do well with small dogs. Fortunately, Harley was unharmed and thought she was just playing with some big dog friends. But the people back on the small dog section acted like I was crazy for jumping over the fence for my dog. But it only takes one second for something to happen. This dog keeps me on my toes, let me tell you. :rolleyes:

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I don't blame you! I would have freaked out and done the same thing!

I'm glad everything has been going so well for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO