Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Peeing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I'm not sure if I should be concerned. Harley drinks more water than Zeus, I'm sure bc she's on kibble right now. But she peed all over the floor after an hour of taking her outside to pee. Mind you, she had just finished a hard play session in that hour and pounded back a lot of water. I don't know if this seems to be alarming, that I should take her to the vet for, but she acts normal otherwise.

I've had her for about a week and it seems she's just now started to get into the routine, I know she had a couple of accidents the first day but urggghhhh. I don't know if this is nothing or something.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Is the only time she drank water like that after playing hard? What about the peeing? Is it the first time she has peed in the floor? If so, its probably between the kibble and playing. But if it continues, you may want to see the vet.

• zeusthedapple likes this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

No, she always drinks a lot of water after playing hard. Zeus used to drink that so much water until he switched to raw, understandably so. She peed a little accident on like the second day I had her, but I shrugged that off as adjusting to a new environment/schedule. I'm hoping she's still adjusting..

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

If she had just been playing hard, then I would think it's ok, but do monitor it to be sure that is the only time she does it. I know mine always do as soon as they come back inside from playing hard themselves. She is most likely still adjusting.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

It could be a UTI. You may also want to read up on fanconi syndrome (renal disease/failure), if you haven't already. Symptoms include excessive drinking and urination. http://www.basenjire...oni/fanconi.htm

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

If she had just been playing hard, then I would think it's ok, but do monitor it to be sure that is the only time she does it. I know mine always do as soon as they come back inside from playing hard themselves. She is most likely still adjusting.

I think she only drinks a lot after playing hard. Other than that, I'd say for a kibble-fed dog, she drinks a normal amount.

It could be a UTI. You may also want to read up on fanconi syndrome (renal disease/failure), if you haven't already. Symptoms include excessive drinking and urination. http://www.basenjire...oni/fanconi.htm

You know, I read up about that on the Basenji. I guess I shrugged it off, considering she was mixed. Zeus is due for his annual shortly, I may try to bring her along for some small tests.

I will say that I just contacted the previous owner the other day about the situation, hoping to find more information. She told me that the last time she let Harley spend the week away from her, she peed all over the new home. Could be related???

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I think she only drinks a lot after playing hard. Other than that, I'd say for a kibble-fed dog, she drinks a normal amount.

You know, I read up about that on the Basenji. I guess I shrugged it off, considering she was mixed. Zeus is due for his annual shortly, I may try to bring her along for some small tests.

I will say that I just contacted the previous owner the other day about the situation, hoping to find more information. She told me that the last time she let Harley spend the week away from her, she peed all over the new home. Could be related???

Stress maybe? Is that was she was getting at? Maybe the whole situation of being in a new place is just an adjustment.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Stress maybe? Is that was she was getting at? Maybe the whole situation of being in a new place is just an adjustment.

I think that might be. It should seem that way. She said otherwise she has never been a problem with "accidents".

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Yea, she may just need some time to adjust to a new life, so I would give her some time and see how she does. If it continues, you probably would want to see a vet.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

You can do the fanconi testing at home. Directions are in the link I provided above.

As for the possible UTI, you should be able to take in a urine sample. I used to drop off fecals at the vet (rather than taking the animals in).

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

You can do the fanconi testing at home. Directions are in the link I provided above.

As for the possible UTI, you should be able to take in a urine sample. I used to drop off fecals at the vet (rather than taking the animals in).

Yeah I just think I read it's like 65 bucks, the vet visit would be cheaper. My vet usually will have me come in and not even charge me for the sesh.

Thank you for all your advice <3

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Yeah I just think I read it's like 65 bucks, the vet visit would be cheaper. My vet usually will have me come in and not even charge me for the sesh.

Thank you for all your advice <3

Sounds good.

FYI - you can get strip tests at Walgreens for about $11 for a 50-pack.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Sounds good.

FYI - you can get strip tests at Walgreens for about $11 for a 50-pack.

Oh, okay. Cool! Thank you :)

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I forgot to update you guys on this issue. I will say Harley is a very sensitive girl. If I'm outwardly stressed and upset, she will vomit and hide in the bathroom. As for the peeing, I finally put it together. No diseases of that I'm aware. She's a submissive pee-er. That time she peed all over the kitchen, when I thought about it again, it made sense. My friend had went to pick her up and that scared her, so she ran away peeing herself. The other time, I can attribute to me probably saying something harshly towards her. If I walk up to her and she thinks I'm mad, she pisses herself. It's hard to deal with sometimes. Now, recognising the problem, I'm hoping to slowly fix this issue. She's a really submissive dog in general. When she goes up to people, she scared and wags her tail in such a way, she's trying to tell them she isn't a threat. (If that makes sense). Thankfully, she has not peed herself while a stranger tries to stroke her.

I don't want you to think that I beat her or anything like that, lol. She's been like this since the day I adopted her. I always try to be gentle with her. Obviously if she misbehaves, I have to correct it, and I try to do so in the most gently firm way w/o her peeing herself.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I'm so glad you found the problem! She may have developed the submissive behavior from the way she was treated in the past, possibly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO