Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Day 1 On Raw

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

For breakfast, Harley had a chicken drumstick. She didn't seem to gulp anything down, so that's good. But she definitely had an interesting way of eating it. She stripped off all the meat nearly down to the bone. I had to hold the drum to encourage her to actually chomp down and chew the bone. She chomped but some of the bone wasn't covered in meat, so I'm hoping it passes without any trouble. :rolleyes:

• OctavioMype likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

She will be fine. Both our Reba and Rodeo did the same thing when they were still new to eating raw. I think it took them some time to realize they could eat the whole thing at once. 

The only time I would worry about it is if a bone has for some reason been left out without meat on it for a long period of time, and allowed to dry out. That's another story, but in just a meal right then won't hurt anything.

• zeusthedapple likes this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Oh okay. Good, then. Thanks for explaining that. That helps me feel better.

Dogs are silly, right? :D

Also, Zeus had his first turkey neck chunk and it took this poor boy over half an hour to eat it. (He usually takes like 2 minutes).

Harley and I just had to sit there and wait for him to finish, haha.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

They do all tend to have their own style, that's for sure!

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

For dinner she seemed to do great. She eats out of her bowl without needing to use a towel. Zeus spooked her though and caused her to gulp her bone in thigh. Ah well, Zeus has swallowed bigger chunks, so I'm not too concerned.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Glad she's doing better! Sometimes "competition" is a good thing to encourage the pickier eaters, but sometimes it also causes too much of a "rush" to finish. 

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Thank you. Yes, that was definitely the case for Harley, as she was being a little finicky! I've heard a couple people mentioning to just pinch in a little bit of organ from day one, to keep up with nutrients and to help avoid picky behaviour. I decided to try this with Harley. Little pinch of beef liver and she sniffed it and tried to ignore it, when Zeus spooked her, she quickly gulped it down! Zeus is working on not bothering her, he did a lot better this morning, let her finish her food.

I always see photos of people doing mass prep of food for like some odd months in advance. It seems beautiful in a way, and some part of me wants to do this, but at the same time I honestly can't be bothered or perhaps it overwhelms me. I've always just sort of pulled whatever out of the freezer and gone, "well looks like we're having this for dinner!" I tried scheduling and I don't stick to it. Is it easier to do a mass food prep? I don't even know any more lol.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

You don't have to feed all that different stuff at once if you don't want. Once you have been feeding raw for some time, it won't seem so overwhelming.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Thank you ^_^ How are your pups doing at the moment?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Mine are doing great. They are enjoying a lot of deer right now! Lots of it left over.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Awe, that's great. They must be thrilled! :P

Lol, I guess I'm giving her too much bone. Ah, well. I had been giving chicken leg for breakfast, thigh for dinner. Understanding I will change that from tonight on, do you think the 3 days of this meal plan should be a concern, or just simply pull back on the bone and don't worry too much about it?

Now that I've realized it was too much bone, I'm just getting more nervous. Thinking, what if I've made her ill. It's scaring me a bit, so I just need some comfort if everything is to be alright. She seems to be acting normal otherwise. :(

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Considering her size, I almost feel like it's more the amount being fed than too much bone. Because, honestly, too much bone tends to cause constipation, but over feeding cause runny poops. Thighs are pretty big for them, with less bone. So that could be the cause of loose stools. I would go with either just drumsticks or just wings, one per meal and see how that goes. Sometimes it's just a matter of playing around with it to figure out what is going to work.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Gotcha. Yeah, the thighs I have are very small. Also, her poops have been fine. Maybe even a bit constipated, dare I say it, but she hasn't had runny stool yet. Another thing, even with drum and 2 thigh for dinner (one has bone pulled out) she's been losing weight dramatically and she's already a pinch underweight so what should I do about that?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Sometimes in the beginning with chicken and turkey, they will lose some weight. Once you start feeding fattier red meats lost weight will be put back on. If poops are looking better, you could go ahead and move on to adding turkey in.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Okay cool. That was what I was sort of thinking, but I wanted to make sure. Yeah, I started adding in a pinch of turkey gizzard in yesterday and today. The only problem is I don't think I have much to work with on her transition. For poultry I have: Chicken hearts, backs, necks, legs, thighs, and feet. Turkey hearts, two gizzards, a pair of lungs, turkey neck, and ground turkey bone-in. I also have some duck feet. Should I try pinching in the ground bone-in turkey? I'm not sure if the turkey/chicken hearts are too rich or not.

btw, I appreciate all of the advice. I may have gone through transitioning once, but going through it again after a while, I miss a couple things and I think my anxiety gets the best of me most of the time. It's nice to have a good circle of friends for support and help. :)

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Heart is pretty rich, I would be careful with that at the moment considering poop issues that you have had. If you can find some small turkey necks that would be great, but that may be hard to do. Feeding such small dogs is harder than feeding larger ones, so it can be hard to say what to go with next. Turkey feet would be good as well. That's a thought as well.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Thanks! I might try turkey necks next. She's much bigger than Zeus and handles things so much better than him. She has a big set of teeth for her size, so I think she'll handle that. But yeah ultimately, feeding much larger dogs are so much easier than the smaller ones haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO