Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Are You Sure You're Feeding A Species Appropriate Diet?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

LOL. I don't want to see increased energy! LOL! They're already like sled dogs as it is or the energizer bunny. And I don't let them run or do hard exercise right after eating...never have in my 55 years of having dogs. I've had dogs that are prone to bloat and at that time, it was considered risky business to let them run hard after eating. I gave mine a little yogurt...just a TBS to have some licks a few times over by the three little dogs. Then they got a couple little cubes of tripe. But anyhow, I think that's a good idea of yours to do one meal a day so we'll see about that during the next week and see how they do. Thanks for all your tips guys!

I lost my first dog, a beautiful Irish Setter, to bloat (GVD). Kibble-hatred was planted early. The alternative took me a while to figure out.

One thing I love about raw is that I can't even tell when my lean-muscular Vizsla (who has no coat that hides things) has eaten. The destined belly one gets used to seeing after feeding kibble, just doesn't happen with PMR.

Bill

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

I'm sorry you lost your dog to bloat. How traumatic that must have been. I remember always fearing that. They've had lots of theories as to what causes bloat. I never heard that kibble did. They thought maybe hard running right after or before eating did and recommended having the dog wait for a couple hours. Then it was feed bowls set too low, then they said don't set them up too high. lol. But now they say they really don't know what causes it.

I haven't noticed any distended bellies particularly or a lot of the issues mentioned about kibble. I have fed for a long time Taste of The Wild and they did fine on it...their coats were shiny, they had lots of energy and they liked it. I had a non-toy breed dog live to be 18 years on Purina, another 15 when I was young. My son's dog is about to turn 16, a 60 lb dog. She's shiny, muscular and lean, lots of energy. I lost my other Chihuahua to CHF not too long ago 14. She was healthy all the way until that got the better of her. But up until then, she was my hiking buddy in north Idaho. She ran and leaped, kept right up with the big dogs. She was very fit and healthy. She ate TOTW most of her life. My little man, Jose`'s 14th birthday is today! I just realized that. He has been healthy so far and on TOTW for the most part...and now recently, of course, on raw. So hopefully, he'll be even healthier. I think he is. His coat is shinier I'd say and his bad breath went away. I think probiotics in tripe did that.

I know there are kibbles that are awful, like Old Roy and Kibbles and Bits, ones made almost purely of grain, carcinogenic additives, and not enough meat. Maybe that grain is what bloats up the belly. (?) And I don't think in general commercial food is what it use to be. I don't trust the manufacturers anymore. I don't trust the labeling or what they say is in there. And I don't think overly cooked, processed foods are the best at all. That's why I went with a fresh food, raw diet. But I don't think that commercial food causes as many illnesses and problems as is sometimes portrayed. I wouldn't be surprised if all the grains in some of them bring on allergies or other dermatitis issues. Or glucose spikes which wear out the pancreas. But I also think not all commercial food is the same. 

Anyhow, I think there's plenty of truth to the scary stuff you read about commercial food. But some of it may be exaggerated. At any rate, I'm not taking anymore chances on food that someone else makes who doesn't even know or love my dogs... and things are going well so far, at least from what I can see. And I thank you and many on here for all your experience and helpful information.  :)

Here's a pic of my Dobe and my son's dog some years ago. My son's dog is thinner now. She went through a chubby stage. This was back in Idaho.

tokesandlyree.jpg

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Beautiful doberman! I had several a number of years ago. Great dogs.

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

It's always interesting to read these conversations. We have a pure miniature pinscher that has the attitude of a doberman.

We converted to strict PMR a couple of years ago, and the postive changes in the dog made us stay with PMR - and he seems to enjoy raw meats.

We started a food trial of cooked for a month on the recommendation of a holistic DVM - and to add some vegetables of our choice. She is totally cool with raw feeding, prefers it actually, but just wanted us to try something different. Started making soup out of meat, full lot of organs and a bit of veg - he loves turnip, carrot, celery etc. The soup ensures he gets a good dose of fluid and it's easy to add probiotics and such that he needs through these meals. He's made the choice it seems, he likes these soups.

On strict PMR, his stools were small, not much to them. Since we started in on cooked meals, they are much larger and thicker which tells me there's more in the meals that isn't being digested properly - I can only assume it's the veggies. I don't think the veg in his diet will hurt, if I did, then he wouldn't get them - don't see any benefit to adding veg. We feed generally one cooked and one raw meal per day - but sometimes he lets us know that he wants one or the other by turning up his nose.

I don't really care what people choose to feed their dog - it's their dog - however, I'll try to take the time to discuss with owners on the benefits of feeding better foods. Mind you, most times the response is "Oh, that sounds like a lot of work" or "that sounds expensive". Wow, but it's easier to throw kibble in a bowl.

Alot of good points are brought up here - but there is another I would like to add.

I don't care who says what - Grains/soy/corn are cheap, they are money makers. You can buy a ton of soy or corn for $150 - what do you think a ton of beef, chicken or pork would cost in comparison? It affects the dog food companies bottom line. There is a reason why pet owners are told that their pet has "evolved" to eat grain and other cheap proteins.

There is mention via different internet articles and books to dogs eating grain based diets over the last couple of thousand years. While this may be the case, how long do you think it would take for the dog's digestive system and teeth to evolve? Commercial dog kibble has only been available for under 100 years, I guarantee you the dog hasn't evolved in that time frame.

• naturalfeddogs and Poodlebeguiled like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

True. People don't think about how long kibble has been in existance, vs. how long evelutional changes take to happen for a species. IF that were to ever happen with dogs, no one here today will be alive to see that happen. And so far, it's not even begun to be long enough to even start changing. 

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

The first commercial kibble hit the US market in 1956.

Bill

• naturalfeddogs and Poodlebeguiled like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO