Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Eggs - Use A Blender Or Just Casually Crush?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ChloeLabs

ChloeLabs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

This may be a stupid question  :unsure: 

Although it may make all the difference in how my dog takes in the nutrients in the egg shell.

I don't own a blender but I'm very willing to go out and buy one if powder egg shells are better than just casually crushing it with my hand.

Sorry for the short question, thanks for any help in advanced.  :wub:

• OctavioMype likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Why do you want to use eggshells? As long as you are feeding bone, you don't need the eggshell.

ChloeLabs

ChloeLabs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Why do you want to use eggshells? As long as you are feeding bone, you don't need the eggshell.

I wasn't aware of that, should I still feed raw egg without the shell even if I'm feeding bone?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

I don't hardly ever feed eggs. They aren't a must by no means. What all are you feeding right now?

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

This may be a stupid question  :unsure:

Although it may make all the difference in how my dog takes in the nutrients in the egg shell.

I don't own a blender but I'm very willing to go out and buy one if powder egg shells are better than just casually crushing it with my hand.

Sorry for the short question, thanks for any help in advanced.  :wub:

I feed a fair amount of eggs. My practice is to give the occasional raw egg (whole in the shell), but more often will gently cook the whites alone (serving the yoke raw) or do a lightly cooked "sunny-side up" fried egg cooked lightly in a saturated fat (like coconut oil). In all cases I serve the shell, which I let the dog crunch.

I do not know about the digestibility of whole shell vs grinding, but as part of a balanced PMR diet is isn't something I sweat. Were I replacing bone (say I had a dog with bad teeth) I'd probably do the sterilize and grind routine.

During periods where I'm feeding multiple egg a week ,I lightly cook the egg whites, as raw egg whites reportedly can bind with dietary biotin. Egg yokes has a lot of biotin, so the issue isn't clear-cut, but when I feed eggs regularly I set the eggs whites just in case.

Bill

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

I was feeding eggs with shells all ground up in the Vita Mix. But then I read that grocery store eggs have mineral oil of some sort on them to make them look better and there's something about it that is not safe. Well, it's a petroleum product, after all. So if the eggs come from a local source, like a farmer down the road or you have your own, the shells are probably not safe. I will boil egg shells for about 1/2 hour and then dry them, grind them up in my Vita mix into a powder and I use those (a pinch) in place of bone for Jose`, who doesn't "do" bones...either that or bone meal. But now, if I want to feed eggs, which I do a few times a week, I just drizzle a mixed up egg, including the white in a little bowl and drizzle a couple tablespoons over their meal. The whites shouldn't hurt an adult dog as far as biotin is concerned. That's usually a something that may affect puppies more. And a little bit isn't likely to hurt. That's my understanding anyhow. I could have gotten the story wrong. I read something about it a long time ago. And the whites also have some nutritional value. Lightly cooking isn't a bad idea and sometimes I do it that way if the spirit moves me. :bbq: I think eggs are a great thing to feed them and they sure do love them. And yeah, if they're getting a bone, they don't need the shells I guess. (except for Jose`, lol...who just turned 14 years old btw, on the 1st)  :rock:

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Supermarket/ commercial eggs are lacking omega 3's. Free range local eggs  have the needed omegas that are missing from commercial ones. Free range eggs are perfectly safe, and when we had chickens I fed them straight from the birds. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO