Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I Am About To Give Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
McGee is so fussy he sticks his nose up to literally everything unless it is grounded meat that goes down smoothly. He won't eat rmbs anymore, thicker meat such as beef cheek or steak, refuses to try anything new (although he did eat lamb heart). He looks thin and I am just irritable. I'd hate to go back to kibble (he loves it) , but I'm sick of him not eating. Help!

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I'd use your dog's exqusite sense of smell to your advantage.

Be it a little sear, the addition of a small amount of nice fat  (like coconut oil), adding green tripe, or even a sprinkle of paramasan cheese (a trick I've never used, but others have.) Whatever it takes to drive the olfactory senses into high gear. 

Dogs won't starve themselves, and are well-evolved to deal with a fast if there is a battle-of-wills. Vizsla should run skinny in any case. I'd use subterfuge, manipulation, and will-power to win this battle.

Some hills are with dying on. Win this one, and your dog will win too!

Bill 

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Yeah, I've done tripe coconut oil olive oil etc...I love raw feeding, so I don't want to give up. I think I'm just going to continue to play tough love. He never used to be this bad...Hes being a snob haha.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I think it is worth the power-struggle.

I must admit the drooling excitement Chester displays at meal time is a powerful reenforcement to raw feeding for me (and I'd miss it were he not enthusiastic), so I get feeling as you do. 

Just remember that you're doing something awesome for McGee's health, and if you hang tough, he's almost sure to come around.

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Hrs bring super picky, and knows how to work you. Mine will still occasionally turn their nosrs up to meals. When they do, I just take it up and offer it next time. Regardless of what the others are eating, that one will be offered the same as before that he/she didn't eat the night before. Eventually, they always eat a healthy dog will not starve itself. They will always eat eventually. And do remember, if he doesn't eat something you offer, and you take it away, you are not starving him. You are offering the food, he is the one choosing not to eat. Keep offering and he will eat. The more you beg and " sugarcoat" so to speak, the pickier he is going to be. Don't give up, just don't give in to his pickiness. 

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

Maybe some of those bones are just too hard for him. Maybe his teeth hurt or something not quite right. I know with my tiny dogs, really...the only practical bones to give them are chicken bones. They have a little trouble with most others. Rabbit works fairly well. With the goat, they swallowed some but left some. Soooooo...what about an easier bone and add some meat if needed. Parmesan cheese is nice and smelly. I use to sprinkle it on my little girl Chihuahua's food when she was picky. It just sort of jazzes things up. You can wean them off later. Also, I've been feeding once a day. Are you? Maybe if he's good and hungry by evening, he'll gobble up. So, I'd be inclined to do one or two things that might appeal to him better but if he still won't eat, then tough love. As long as there's nothing wrong with the food...spoiled or some horrible chemical in it...lol, I would just figure he won't starve himself. My dogs are piglets and by dinner time...omg! They're so ready to eat. Of course, since I started feeding this way, but twice a day, they always ate it all up. Oh! Raw green tripe is a real hit around here....yum, yum...I put a little bit in each meal. Good luck! 

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks for all the replies! It's hit or miss with him, he's never been this bad before. I have an obedience trial on Sunday with him and he looks terrible, way too thin and I would like to represent the breed well so I'll just feed him stuff I know he will eat this week and start over. I've just been putting his food bowl down and walking away bc he can tell that I'm not happy with him right now. Yes, i mix tripe and eggs in the food. Ugh, other than this he's the most perfect dog in the world lol.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

They are like human kids. They can drive us absolutely nuts! lol!

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
I just threw a chicken leg quarter across the yard lol I'm so fed up. He's boney he won't eat he knows I'm frustrated bc hes hiding from me.
How much variety do they really need? If I can stick with butcher scraps, tripe, Turkey necks, eggs, sardines, supplements, and the occasional veggie he would gladly eat that for the rest of his life and it would save me money since I can get it for cheap vs buying the more exotic items such as lamb, rabbit, quail, etc..

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

If you are going to feed raw, you need all the variety you can get, including organs, liver specifically.  You don't have to buy all the expensive exotic stuff. Keep trying pork, beef, turkey. If he's healthy, he will eat eventually. Find one protein for now, and stick with it only. Don't get upset, because he will only see feeding time as something stressful rather than enjoyable.

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

I was just going to type something like that. If you're upset and stressed, he's likely picking up on that and pairing a sort of scary time (if he's hiding) with the food. It needs to be associated with a pleasant time. Eating should be a really enjoyable thing. I would give him something he likes. There must be something. And give him 20-30 minutes to try it. If he doesn't touch it, pick it up, put it away till the next meal. Be calm, matter of fact but cheerful and go do something else. He's not going to starve himself. If you get worried and it goes on for too many days, then he needs to see a vet or get a 2nd opinion if needed...perhaps to see if there's something else going on. But try to stay calm and cheerful. You might even play a little game and offer him a small bite of something good while you and he are having fun. Hope things improve. It must be frustrating as heck. But don't let on.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO