Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hair Loss

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I just noticed on my basenji/chi patches of fur missing on her neck. I can see her skin and feel it. I know she's short coated but it's still considerable loss. I haven't noticed any fur loss on other parts of the body. It's not inflamed, she doesn't even seem to scratch much at all, she hardly scratches herself ever. Does this seem like it could be an allergy or something more severe? :/

• Fatenami likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

It could be allergies, can you post a picture?

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I'll try to get a good shot. I don't know if I'm crazy but I swear I saw chunks missing so I rubbed coco oil on it last night and it doesn't look that bad today. I still see some spots. They're playing right now, I'm going to try to get a photo hopefully before I go into work today.

EDIT: Here is my poor lighting, poor quality photo. It's kind of hard to tell in this photo but what I circled is where it is mainly. The photo may make it look red but I promise you, her skin is not irritated.

mjwg0w.png

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I also thought about coconut oil as well, and was going to suggest that. I would put that on it a couple of times a day for a few days and see what happens.  Coconut oil can work really well on for skin issues.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Thanks! Yeah, I always recommend it to people who have similar concerns :)

Also, my edited post has a photo

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I'll try to get a good shot. I don't know if I'm crazy but I swear I saw chunks missing so I rubbed coco oil on it last night and it doesn't look that bad today. I still see some spots. They're playing right now, I'm going to try to get a photo hopefully before I go into work today.

EDIT: Here is my poor lighting, poor quality photo. It's kind of hard to tell in this photo but what I circled is where it is mainly. The photo may make it look red but I promise you, her skin is not irritated.

mjwg0w.png

Yea, That doesn't look too bad. Just keep an eye on it, and keep on with the coconut oil for a few days.  

• zeusthedapple likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

And I just noticed.....It looks like Zeus is helping you hold her head up by her ear. Ha Ha Ha!!! :lol:

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Thank you, I appreciate the second opinion ^_^

Yes, he's such a great helper! Actually, from his perspective, he'd rather me let go so he can continue to gnaw on her ears lol.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Oh, the joys of figuring out what's causing the allergy. She's had chicken, turkey, duck, and pork. Chicken and turkey she's had for a while of course. I just introduced pork into her diet last week(ish) and duck about a week ago, maybe less. Since I never saw any rashes or weird immediate symptoms of allergies, I'm not sure how to go about this successfully.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

Does she wear a collar for walks? Could that be rubbing? It doesn't look inflamed or scratched up. Hmmm...Does the hair come out if you tug on any around there? I hope you can solve the mystery soon. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Oh, the joys of figuring out what's causing the allergy. She's had chicken, turkey, duck, and pork. Chicken and turkey she's had for a while of course. I just introduced pork into her diet last week(ish) and duck about a week ago, maybe less. Since I never saw any rashes or weird immediate symptoms of allergies, I'm not sure how to go about this successfully.

Try taking out the duck for now, and just give pork for about a week, and see what happens. If nothing changes, remove the pork and give only duck for a week and see. If it's food related, that is the best way to see which one it could be. It's part of the beauty of raw, and feeding individual proteins in the beginning. It's easy to isolate one from another.

Also, it's possible to be environmental as well. Spring is around the corner and grasses and other plants are starting to bloom. Dust can also be a culprit. 

And like Poodlebeguilded said, if she wears a collar that may also do it.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Does she wear a collar for walks? Could that be rubbing? It doesn't look inflamed or scratched up. Hmmm...Does the hair come out if you tug on any around there? I hope you can solve the mystery soon. 

She never wears a collar. For walks, we have a harness. The only other thing besides an allergy is that her and Zeus play rough and he's always grabbing her neck???

Try taking out the duck for now, and just give pork for about a week, and see what happens. If nothing changes, remove the pork and give only duck for a week and see. If it's food related, that is the best way to see which one it could be. It's part of the beauty of raw, and feeding individual proteins in the beginning. It's easy to isolate one from another.

Also, it's possible to be environmental as well. Spring is around the corner and grasses and other plants are starting to bloom. Dust can also be a culprit. 

And like Poodlebeguilded said, if she wears a collar that may also do it.

If I go with just pork, what bone should I give? Pork rib is too much for her, isn't it? You want to go to chicken bone or no?

I appreciate the advice, guys! It really helps calms the nerves.

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

If you know she's OK with chicken, then give chicken bones on bone in days.

Some stores have pork cuts with bone, but smaller and something she could handle.  I'm not sure what they are called, maybe riblet strips or something. I gave them to ours as puppies as beginning pork bones. I found them at smaller groceries. 

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Ah, okay. I will look for those! Thanks so much :)

based on that description, I think I have lamb "riblets". They were a gift. I haven't fed them yet. I'm not sure if they could handle them.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

If they are the same thing we have here, they should be just right.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington
She never wears a collar. For walks, we have a harness. The only other thing besides an allergy is that her and Zeus play rough and he's always grabbing her neck???

Oh! I'd vote for that over allergies. It just doesn't look raw or scaly. She doesn't scratch a lot, right? Usually allergies where the skin is involved cause itching as far as I know anyway. At any rate, if she doesn't continue to lose hair I wouldn't worry about it. That will probably grow back. Maybe you can try distracting Zeus when he grabs her neck and change the subject. 

The other thing that flitted across my mind was vaccines. Has she had any lately? Sometimes there are immune issues that may be related to vaccines...that may or may not cause itching or a rashy look.

Or maybe we're just over-thinking this and it's nothing much at all. Maybe Zeus rubbed out some hair and it will grow back and nothing else will come of it. (?) I wouldn't worry too much since it's not irritated and not itchy. That seems like a good sign to me. It will be interesting to see if it will just grow back. If not, maybe a doggie dermatologist could help.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I agree with poodlebeguiled, it could be from Zeus during their play. Also, primitive breeds will "blow" their coat to where they can have extensive hair-loss/baldness--which varies from all over the body to localized spots. This is natural and the fur grows back in. For people not expecting it, it can be very concerning (vets are not necessarily familiar with this either). Since your girl is part Basenji, that is something to consider.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Oh! I'd vote for that over allergies. It just doesn't look raw or scaly. She doesn't scratch a lot, right? Usually allergies where the skin is involved cause itching as far as I know anyway. At any rate, if she doesn't continue to lose hair I wouldn't worry about it. That will probably grow back. Maybe you can try distracting Zeus when he grabs her neck and change the subject. 

The other thing that flitted across my mind was vaccines. Has she had any lately? Sometimes there are immune issues that may be related to vaccines...that may or may not cause itching or a rashy look.

Or maybe we're just over-thinking this and it's nothing much at all. Maybe Zeus rubbed out some hair and it will grow back and nothing else will come of it. (?) I wouldn't worry too much since it's not irritated and not itchy. That seems like a good sign to me. It will be interesting to see if it will just grow back. If not, maybe a doggie dermatologist could help.

Yeah, I honestly think I've only seen her scratch herself twice since I've taken her home.

I have her vet papers, I think she had her last vaccines around september last year.

I agree with poodlebeguiled, it could be from Zeus during their play. Also, primitive breeds will "blow" their coat to where they can have extensive hair-loss/baldness--which varies from all over the body to localized spots. This is natural and the fur grows back in. For people not expecting it, it can be very concerning (vets are not necessarily familiar with this either). Since your girl is part Basenji, that is something to consider.

Interesting. I never even took that into consideration. She becomes more fascinating each day.

Thanks so much you guys!

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I think you should just watch it right now, to be honest. It seems to me like a strange place for being the only spot for " blowing coat", and there is no sign of rough play like it seems like, if it were from playing with zeus. There should be some sort of mark if it was from that. I say just watch it. The more I think about it, the more I do feel like it's nothing and being over thought. Maybe some coconut oil, but I don't think it's a big thing.

• zeusthedapple and Poodlebeguiled like this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I think you should just watch it right now, to be honest. It seems to me like a strange place for being the only spot for " blowing coat", and there is no sign of rough play like it seems like, if it were from playing with zeus. There should be some sort of mark if it was from that. I say just watch it. The more I think about it, the more I do feel like it's nothing and being over thought. Maybe some coconut oil, but I don't think it's a big thing.

Yeah, like she doesn't have any fur on her armpits and a bit on the leg starting from that spot. However, that seems to be from her very thin coat. I'll keep applying the coco oil and keep an eye on it. Trying not to over-think things lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO