Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hair Loss

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Keep us updated on how it looks.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

Are you absolutely positive she always had hair right there and now you notice it's gone? 

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Keep us updated on how it looks.

Will do. It hasn't worsened, but it's getting a bit better. I also forgot to rub coco oil on it yesterday, so that's my fault.

Are you absolutely positive she always had hair right there and now you notice it's gone? 

I'm not absolutely positive, but I've also only had her for a little over a month now.

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

I see. Well, hey, that's good that it seems to be getting better. It may remain a mystery as to why. It will be good to see if she improves even more. Good news!

• zeusthedapple likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

How is it looking?

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

How is it looking?

It's not looking worse. Of course all of her fur isn't grown back in but I guess it's okay?? Ha.

Unrelated, but I left her with my dad while I went out the other night. I came back and he said she just kept howling the entire time. So she does the Basenji howl when she's in distress. Lol.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

At least it isn't any worse. Is any coming back in at all?

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

At least it isn't any worse. Is any coming back in at all?

I think a bit is growing back, in its own time. :)

• naturalfeddogs likes this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I feel like I can attribute the neck patches to Zeus' over-grooming. But she has such thin fur now. Her chest, her inner thighs, her outer thighs, the part of her hair in front of her ears. I can see her skin. She is dark skinned so it shows. I don't know if anything is wrong. The only other excuse I can muster in my mind is that I haven't owned her in the summertime yet, so this could be her "summer coat" being thinner. I mean, should I be concerned, is there something I should be doing? Granted, their diets have been limited the past few weeks since I've been getting new meat but tomorrow they will be back to normal. :/

I'm starting to get concerned and I'm not sure if I should be.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Is she itching any at all? How about fats? Maybe uping the fat content could help. 

Or, it could just be her. Unless her skin starts looking bad, or really itchy I don't think I would be too concerned at the moment. Just keep an eye on her, and see how her coat/skin does over the summer.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

She's been scratching a bit more lately, but so has Zeus. I think we're getting near the big flea season over here and I just moved to a new place. I'm thinking about making that garlic/brewers/acv mix for them. I also thought about fats and honestly, not a lot of fat in the diet at the moment. But tomorrow I'm getting some beef cheek and some fattier cuts of meat, so I should be adding more fat to the diet soon! :)

I'll def let you know how it goes.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Yep, do let us know.

I have been using Wondercide for fleas this year, and it has been doing a great job. I'm really liking it. If you haven't ever heard of it, here is their link...http://Wondercide.com

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I feel like I can attribute the neck patches to Zeus' over-grooming. But she has such thin fur now. Her chest, her inner thighs, her outer thighs, the part of her hair in front of her ears. I can see her skin. She is dark skinned so it shows. I don't know if anything is wrong. The only other excuse I can muster in my mind is that I haven't owned her in the summertime yet, so this could be her "summer coat" being thinner. I mean, should I be concerned, is there something I should be doing? Granted, their diets have been limited the past few weeks since I've been getting new meat but tomorrow they will be back to normal. :/

I'm starting to get concerned and I'm not sure if I should be.

Could it be considered a moth eaten appearance?

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Yep, do let us know.

I have been using Wondercide for fleas this year, and it has been doing a great job. I'm really liking it. If you haven't ever heard of it, here is their link...http://Wondercide.com

Oh, I've never head of that. It looks worth a shot!

jagger, I don't believe so...? I looked up moth bites, it doesn't look anything like that. Crazy, never heard of that though.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

jagger, I don't believe so...? I looked up moth bites, it doesn't look anything like that. Crazy, never heard of that though.

Sorry, not suggesting your dog is being attacked by moths, it's the moth eaten appearance I'm wondering about.

Photo00621.jpg

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

TRDMom, I've never heard that about primitive breeds and the extreme coat blowing. I'd watch for it, but my primitive is a nudist! I like the primitive breeds so I'll have to keep that in mind for future coated primitives. That's something that would freak me out for sure if I didn't know about it!

Not enough fat in the diet can definitely cause hair loss. We went through that with Buck a few years ago and his face was losing hair around his eyes, ears, and the top of his muzzle. We were feeding a lot of beef heart, but it was for human consumption so that big cap of fat was trimmed off. We got a ton of nice, grass fed, Scottish Highland beef fat and supplementing those lean meals with a strip of fat took care of the issue. Of course, it doesn't have to be grass fed Scottish Highland fat, but fattier meats like pork really help. I'll also go find a GIANT cut of beef with lots of fat and make little 1 lb bags of fatty meat (my guys get between 2 and 3 lbs per day depending on the meat) and give that to them when we're going to have a few days of lean meals. It also gives me a lot of pure fat to cut away and store separately. I bought a giant, 10 lb hunk of meat a few weeks ago and it gave me about 3 lbs of pure fat and 7 lbs of fatty meals. That way, once those fatty meals are gone, I can just take some of those pieces of fat from the other bag and add it to the lean meals. 

Otherwise, I would definitely think about it being Zeus. Teeth can really do a number on another dog's skin. It's not exactly the same, but it does show you what simply playing can do. When my Xolo was a baby, he and Buck played ALL the time. Buck was a year and a half old and pretty close to his adult size. By the time Iorveth had been with us for a week, he had thick, tough rhinoceros skin that was rough and scaly. Mind you, Xolos have tough skin anyway, but this was not natural. Only the strip down his back is rough. Everything else is naturally baby soft, but thick. We kept them from playing with teeth for a few days and his skin gradually softened back up (and has since come to be able to handle Buck's teeth without going all rhino again). It was Buck's teeth causing so much damage to Iorveth's skin. Iorveth has done his fair share of damage to the hair on Buck's ears as well. 

Anyway, I do hope you can figure out what is causing the hair loss. Allergies, hair loss, fleas, etc. None of it's fun or pleasant!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Not enough fat in the diet can definitely cause hair loss.

That's interesting to note, our bugger isn't getting a lot of whole fats.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

That's interesting to note, our bugger isn't getting a lot of whole fats.

I won't say it will work for sure, but fat is very important to dogs as a source of energy, if I recall correctly, so making sure he's getting enough could help him. As always, I remind people not to overdo it because of the risk of pancreatitis, but I've always heard of pancreatitis being triggered by cooked fats. Someone with more knowledge of pancreatitis would be helpful here!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Raw fats in a dogs diet are totally different from cooked. Pancreatitis isn't a problem with raw because their bodies are going to actually be able to use the fat the way they are designed to. Fed raw, dogs must have fat for both their energy source and to help with a healthy skin and coat as well. A lack of fat will affect the skin, which in turn affects the coat.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

well, it's worth trying. Many times he's fed the leaner cuts of meat, some marbling but not much... Bring on the fat :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO