Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

When To Start Liver

liver new transitioned months

Best Answer TRDmom , 22 March 2016 - 08:33 AM

"When" depends on you. "How much" depends on your dog. I've started my dogs off with full servings of liver from the "get go" and not had digestive issues. The biggest reason for delaying liver and organ is to prevent diarrhea. If stomach upset/diarrhea is the concern, I would start off by giving very small (bite-sized) pieces and seeing how the dog does. If all is well, gradually increase until they're able to eat the suggested serving amount (around 5% of total body weight). Feeding liver daily rather than weekly can also help digestion. Remember, liver has a greater concentration of vitamins essential for your dog's health--not something I personally want to delay if I can help it.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

So Mya is successfully transitioned onto turkey, and she just started pork today. She hasn't had any loose stool since we started raw. When should I start introducing liver? I know it's a vital part of the diet. 

A D

A D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWestern washington
According to the getting started guide organ should be introduced week seven. I started feeding organ meats (10% per meal) week one with no G.I. trouble. Initially some coaxing was needed to get my older dog to eat It.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have always waited until pretty close to the end of the transition period before introducing liver. When you do, start with a very tiny amount and work up. I always give mine theirs with a bone in meal, because I have a couple who are pretty touchy about it. 

A lot of people worry about becoming deficient by waiting, but it takes  months to become deficient in nutrients, and you are only going no longer than six or seven weeks at the most. I have done this way for the last ten years or so, and it has worked well every time. You can intro liver sooner, but only if your dog seems to be handling the red meats with no digestive upset. The earliest I have introduced it has been about in the middle of transition, after pork went fine.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
✓  Best Answer

"When" depends on you. "How much" depends on your dog. I've started my dogs off with full servings of liver from the "get go" and not had digestive issues. The biggest reason for delaying liver and organ is to prevent diarrhea. If stomach upset/diarrhea is the concern, I would start off by giving very small (bite-sized) pieces and seeing how the dog does. If all is well, gradually increase until they're able to eat the suggested serving amount (around 5% of total body weight). Feeding liver daily rather than weekly can also help digestion. Remember, liver has a greater concentration of vitamins essential for your dog's health--not something I personally want to delay if I can help it.

• Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I think it's best to start early. The nutrients are essential (especially with puppies) and dogs/pups who get used to organs early tend not to be picky about them, while delay too often results in aversion. Starting small and working up and serving liver with bone is wise. 

I disagree (entirely) with the advise in the "getting started guide" on this issue. I really wish the guide would be revised. 

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I've always started giving liver anywhere from the middle of the transition to close to the end, and personally have never had a problem with pickiness towards them. I think it's more or less all a personal preference, and depending on how well the dog/puppy handles it.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Also, what types are okay? I have both calf and cow

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I think I might start giving her super tiny pieces after she is okay on pork

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Also, what types are okay? I have both calf and cow

Both are ok, but calf is the best. It's from a younger animal, with less "use" from the liver, if that makes sense. Calf liver is a little more expensive usually too because of the quality difference, but even still both are fine. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liver, new, transitioned, months

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO