Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Want To Start The Raw Diet - Need Suggestion - Total Newbie

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Olivia-GoldenMom

Olivia-GoldenMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi all,

I have a 8 months old Golden Retriever Tyler, I think he has allergy because there're red-ish spots on this back and sides, he's itching and lots of dry dead skin on his coat. Took him to the vet, and she suggested a food trail - Hill's prescription food, we got two small pks of sample, then immediately, I knew it's junk because all the ingredients...

Tyler was on Wellness grain free for couple of months but he doesn't like it very much, so I switched to Blue Buffalo, I think that's when the allergy gets worse, I switched Tyler's food to Orijen 5 weeks ago. I give him small pieces of raw chicken breast as treat sometimes, just want to see if he's OK with raw meat. I think he's absolutely loves it. My husband, on the other hand, is kind of against this raw diet idea, he's worry about the parasite, Salmonella...Is this something I really should be worry about? And, how do I do the transition? partial kibble and partial raw food as start? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

thank you so much!!!

xx

Liv

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome to prey model! Have you read the getting started guide at the top of the page? It has lots of info. Basically, you will start with chicken quarters for about a week and a half to two weeks. If poops are all good, then move on to turkey and do the same. Then pork, and on to other red meats like beef, venison and lamb. It will take around six-seven weeks to get through the proteins. The reason for going protein by protein, is so that if there is a problem with one, digestive or whatever, you know what the problem is. Unlike kibble, that has sooo many artificial ingredients, chemicals, etc that there is almost no way to pinpoint the exact culprit. 

Dogs are designed to handle the bacteria in raw meat. Raw meat is their natural diet, so their body is able to digest quickly and move everything on through. Nothing has time to sit around in there. A healthy dog will handle it just fine. 

No transition to raw. Just ditch the kibble and start giving chicken quarters. Raw meat and kibble doesn't always mix for some dogs, and you may get digestive issues.

• Olivia-GoldenMom likes this

Olivia-GoldenMom

Olivia-GoldenMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, thank you so much! I just checked out the started guide, it's helpful!

Tyler is experiencing diarrhea at the moment, started Saturday afternoon at the dog park in the afternoon, but pooped solid stool at the evening at home. Diarrhea started again Sunday midday, and continue thru out the day. I haven't giving him any food for the past 12 hours, wondering if I should delay the raw diet plan till he poop go back to normal again. 

The weird thing is we haven't change his food, but our vet gave him a shot at Friday afternoon to relief the itchiness. Not sure if the shot caused the diarrhea. I checked with her several times, and she promised me the only thing would effect Tyler is drinking more water. :(

Welcome to prey model! Have you read the getting started guide at the top of the page? It has lots of info. Basically, you will start with chicken quarters for about a week and a half to two weeks. If poops are all good, then move on to turkey and do the same. Then pork, and on to other red meats like beef, venison and lamb. It will take around six-seven weeks to get through the proteins. The reason for going protein by protein, is so that if there is a problem with one, digestive or whatever, you know what the problem is. Unlike kibble, that has sooo many artificial ingredients, chemicals, etc that there is almost no way to pinpoint the exact culprit. 

Dogs are designed to handle the bacteria in raw meat. Raw meat is their natural diet, so their body is able to digest quickly and move everything on through. Nothing has time to sit around in there. A healthy dog will handle it just fine. 

No transition to raw. Just ditch the kibble and start giving chicken quarters. Raw meat and kibble doesn't always mix for some dogs, and you may get digestive issues.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

I would start off with something bone in. Go ahead with maybe some quarters. 

If the poops began with the shot, that could be it. Or maybe what he ate before it started.

• Olivia-GoldenMom likes this

Olivia-GoldenMom

Olivia-GoldenMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

thanks! I will try :) 

I would start off with something bone in. Go ahead with maybe some quarters. 

If the poops began with the shot, that could be it. Or maybe what he ate before it started.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I'd suggest stripping all (or most) of the skin off the chicken at first, especially given the diarrhea going in. The fat from the skin is a vital source of energy moving forwards, but for the first few days there can be an adjustment to fat burning and fat digestion. Reducing or eliminating the skin can help ease the transition. Then add skin back in as every thing shapes up.

Save the skin if you do strip it to feed later.

Bill

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

Good point. I forgot to mention removing skin! That can be a big digestive issue in the beginning. Once poops are good, you can slowly start adding it back in.

• Spy Car likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO