Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Meats To Avoid!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

gswh2

gswh2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have a friend who hunts wild hog and doesn't use any of the meat. I found a processor who is willing to do all the butchering but I am now reading that wild hogs are a big no-no raw.

As we continue the search for inexpensive meat or simply a variety of proteins, what meat should be avoided?

From searching the forum I have the following:

Salmon from PNW (might be ok with freezing)

Wild boar

Bear

Raccoon

Thanks! 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

All of those are correct. Some say freezing freezing PNW salmon for a period of time is ok, but I have have also heard freezing doesn't affect it at all, so considering all the other protein sources to choose from, I stay away from it. Not worth the risk. I just give salmon oil capsules. 

Wild boar can carry a parasite that is not only in the intestines, but also bores into the muscle as well. Freezing does not affect it, and it is potentially fatal if fed raw. You can send the meat off to be tested, but I have no idea the cost. And again, there are too many other proteins to feed to worry about it. 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Freshwater fish from the Philippines should be avoided for a similar reason to PNW salmon. It's not the same parasite as PNW salmon, but it's the same idea. It's a little critter inside the parasites inside the fish that can do it. Milkfish are a common fish you can find in the store and we ended up with a box of milkfish that had been labelled mackerel so we ended up with a box of fish we couldn't feed! Needless to say, I was NOT happy.

I'm okay with the salmon though, to be honest. When we catch them, I don't want to share them anyway!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO