Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Vaccines

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Just got notice from my vet that Zeus is due for his DHPP (no lepto) vaccine. I'm really conflicted with the decision of taking him for the vaccination. I was curious about everyone's opinion on the subject. I've been hearing more and more differing opinions and viewpoints on over-vaccinating. He's 3yo. His only other line of vacc was last year when I brought him home and it was pretty much everything, since we didn't know what he'd been vaccinated with before me. Now, Harley is 1. I'm not sure if she needs any vacc. She hasn't been to the vet yet since I brought her home. At least her prev. owner gave me all of her medical files and vacc records.

My question for this discussions is:

What are your thoughts on vaccinations and "over vaccinations"?

• OctavioMype likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I don't vaccinatr for anything. Period. Have titers done to show immunity. Generally, raw fed dogs will have great natural immunity to be be able to fight off anything they may have been exposed to.

• zeusthedapple and OctavioMype like this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Pretty sure our little guy has been overvaccinated, but not my call unfortunately. He had a rabies shot a few months ago, will probably be the last vaccine he gets.

I will never have another dog neutered either, will pay the extra for vasectomy vs paying the price for lack of hormones.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

I'm not against a couple puppy shots (by a couple I mean "two"). Puppies are more susceptible to disease than adult dogs, plus they're not as strong to deal with it. For an adult animal, I would stick to only vaccinating for rabies since it is required by law here. Really, it is personal choice. Do what you believe is right for your family.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Thanks, guys! I may just get the rabies vacc for Harley. I believe it's required when moving into a new apt. No need to fuss with anything else.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Thanks, guys! I may just get the rabies vacc for Harley. I believe it's required when moving into a new apt. No need to fuss with anything else.

See if rabies titers are acceptable where you are going. Then you won't have to get the vaccines themselves. If the immunity is there, no reason to overdo it. Over vaccinating can actually cause more health issues down the road. 

• zeusthedapple likes this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I will do that! Let's say, she gets the test, she has immunity. Can they still give me the tag or would she have to have a new vacc to receive the tag? That's what the landlords want, I believe.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I didn't get a tag, they gave me the official veterinary papers proving immunity to the point vaccines aren't needed for that year. I don't know if they will give you a tag, you can ask though. I'm sure each state is different. 

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Cool. I have the papers, hopefully that is enough. Thanks

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Let us know how it goes!

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Absolutely will do!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I do limited puppy vaccines (worked with my pro-raw, anti-over vax vet to figure out what should and shouldn't be done based on our area) and then rabies for the duration of the dog's life as required by law. 

I, personally, will not mess with titers and "exemption papers" for rabies because I just don't trust the authorities. I'm not actually afraid of my dogs getting rabies, although I do feel better since we have ALL kinds of critters here with coyotes and raccoons making regular visits right up to our front door. We even had a fox hop across the road about 15 feet away from us when we were checking our mail after a walk with the dogs. I didn't even know we had foxes in our area, but there was a red fox, right in front of my face. I't's in the event of one of the dogs being bitten by one of said critters which, frankly, is a real possibility here. Even sticking their head in the wrong bush has the potential for being bitten. I want to make sure my dogs are covered by law so there is no risk of the authorities trying to bully me into giving up my dog even temporarily. I've seen how that ends. I'm sure I sound paranoid, but I get that way with Iorveth a little bit.

However, our state is attempting to get the period between vaccines pushed from the 3 years it is now to 5 years and eventually 7 years. I believe they are actually conducting research to prove that the rabies vaccines lasts far longer than 3 years. 

For everything else though, titers are fine by me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO