Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Vomiting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Shalista

Shalista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi, so Bax has had only chicken and chicken bones with liver for some weeks now. Because of expense I've been dragging my feet getting him his next meat. I finally got him some pork. I gave him a bit without thinking a few weeks ago and he did fine with it. I immediately froze the rest to kill any parasites. 

Within the past two days Bax has been vomiting  a lot (about 2-3 times a day) and he mostly does it on our bed. It's almost entirely water and it's a fairly large quantity. In the past he has occasionally guzzled a lot of water and then barfed it up but never on our bed before and never so frequently. He's eating fine, seems perky, his fur is lustrous and shiny, and he doesn't feel like he has a fever. 

I'm taking him to our vet but our vet doesn't approve of raw and I know he's going to blame the meat. Any thoughts on how to address his concerns? 

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

The vomiting could be unrelated, and could be something else going on.

Can you locate a holistic DVM that is ok with raw? in my experience dealing with many "strict" western vets, they don't have the knowledge to deal with a raw fed dog. I wouldn't trust one to read a blood panel.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Sometimes they will vomit when they go for a time on an empty stomach which is usually a yellow slime type,  sometimes in the beginning from larger pieces of bone that the body hasn't adjusted to digesting yet. It won't hurt to go to the vet for a look over, but do be ready. I'm sure the vet will blame the raw feeding. Just explain that you have done your research, and are aware of what he needs to eat and you are slowly getting all the proteins in. I also have said in the past to my vet "he/she is my dog and I will feed them the way I feel is best" .

As far as freezing and parasites go. I have fed pork plenty of times fresh and never frozen. Unless you are feeding intestines there isn't a worry of parasites. wild boar is another story though! Don't feed it at all.

Eklutna

Eklutna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

We started feeding prey about a month ago.  We have a Sheltie and a Westie.  I see a few familiar names here, but basically, the story is that while we did chicken parts, we did well.  Chicken liver (frozen for two weeks first) seemed good, too.  But we finally, at the urging of others, purchased pork and that isn't going too well.  The Westie mainly isn't crazy about it (he's young), and the Sheltie puked up his first meal of it in large chunks, all over my office floor.  Clearly, he didn't make much effort to chew  what he was given.  I've had my doubts about pork all along, but went with advice.  Now, I'm not so sure.  I'm not sure where to go from here, am tempted to go back to good grain-free kibble.  

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts

I recognize you from another forum! Welcome! I would stop the liver and pork for now, and stick to bone in chicken only for now. Vomiting can be normal in the beginning, from their bodies learning to adjust to raw. Also, be sure to feed chunks that are to large to be able to swallow whole. Large enough that they are forced to chew. And, feeding too much at once can also cause vomiting. 

Go back to bone in chicken only. Try starting with just smaller amounts as well and work up. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

We started feeding prey about a month ago.  We have a Sheltie and a Westie.  I see a few familiar names here, but basically, the story is that while we did chicken parts, we did well.  Chicken liver (frozen for two weeks first) seemed good, too.  But we finally, at the urging of others, purchased pork and that isn't going too well.  The Westie mainly isn't crazy about it (he's young), and the Sheltie puked up his first meal of it in large chunks, all over my office floor.  Clearly, he didn't make much effort to chew  what he was given.  I've had my doubts about pork all along, but went with advice.  Now, I'm not so sure.  I'm not sure where to go from here, am tempted to go back to good grain-free kibble.  

What are you feeding now? Are you back on chicken? Still having vomiting? I am sorry for you and your two little ones. I would be a mess if mine were having issues.

I've never fed pork, but I have heard quite a bit from people who have fed their dogs pork and experienced issues (i.e. vomiting and diarrhea). Go back to chicken; if things are OK, I would introduce them to turkey next. Turkey necks usually aren't too hard to find. Turkey gizzard is another item that surfaces in my area periodically. After turkey, I would try a red meat (other than pork) such as beef or goat. You could also try oily fish (e.g. mackerel, sardines). Good luck!

• Eklutna likes this

Eklutna

Eklutna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

When you say oily fish, does this mean raw fish or can I use some canned?  

I gotta say, I have some issues with the recommendations I've seen to feed just about "any" meat; I don't feed any old meat to my family, and I'm not going to with my dogs.

Our vet, by the way, pretending that she supports PM, recommended feeding kibble so they'll get "all they need" of nutrients.  I suspect this is nonsense.  Am I right?

Eklutha

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts

Oily fish is usually raw, but you can feed canned as well. Just watch the salt content, and try to get unsalted. 

As far as "any" meat, I assume you are talking about quality of meat, rather than certain proteins? If so, then whatever you would buy for your family is fine. It doesn't have to be organic, or grass raised. Either way, they will still get the needed nutrients. Heck, I have even fed older and freezer burned meats that I have gotten for free in the past. 

Most vets are not on board with raw, due to their lack of nutritional knowledge. I can tell you, as long as you feed in variety, meat/bones/organs, you will be getting all of the needed nutrients. Those three things supply it all. (With the exception of added fish oil, if needed). Prey model is designed to be modeled after the way wolves eat in the wild, and they get all they need without anyone giving them kibble. 

• TRDmom and Poodlebeguiled like this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

I don't know...this seems more than regular empty stomach throw up. I usually give my tiny Poodles and Chi mix an egg or a half an egg and/or a little yogurt or something most mornings and their regular, main meal in late afternoon/evening. One of them often throws up just a tad (all bile/water) if he doesn't have some little thing in his stomach. With this much vomiting you're seeing, I'd be concerned. If you remove the meat you think might be causing a sensitivity, and the vomiting continues, I'd get the dog to a vet. Maybe there was some parasite but I'm pretty sure that usually causes diarrhea. Or it might be something else. Is your dog feeling okay the rest of the time? Playful, energetic etc?

Anyhow, you should be able to accustom your dog to a good raw food diet in time. Just take it slowly. Have you tried some lamb? I think that's suppose to be pretty easy to digest. I look for meat in the grocery store (because I haven't found a better alternative) that is about to expire and they mark it down. Watch the dates and go there on the day that is the sell by date in the morning. Ask them if you don't see it marked down. Sometimes I even get grass fed/organic stuff. My dogs eat anything and aren't sensitive. I didn't read all the advice to go as slowly through the proteins as is recommended soon enough. I went kind of gradually but after a few meats, I just started giving them anything. Luckily they've been great most of the time. Once in a while, I make a boo boo and give too much organ or too much bone but usually, it's all good. I've fed things too before freezing by accident. Luckily nothing happened. 

I've been feeding raw since mid December...about 5.5 months now. They eat beef, lamb (heavier on the red meats) pork, chicken, (chicken and duck feet also...gizzards and hearts (cheap)) duck, rabbit, goat, cornish game hens, weird stuff from Asian market like pork uterus, sardines, fish oil on the days they don't eat fish. They eat eggs, sometimes a little yogurt for a snack. (they got a frozen yogurt ice cube treat out on the lawn yesterday, as it was a pretty hot day) They eat mostly chicken bones but all kinds of meats INCLUDING raw green tripe...probably some I've forgotten to list. Raw green tripe is a super food as far as I'm concerned. You can't find it in a grocery store, only online as far as I can tell. I feed a little tripe every meal. It's amazing, well balanced, full of natural probiotics and digestive enzymes. I highly recommend that as a muscle meat. It might help your dog particularly. You've only been doing this a short time. I'd say give it some more time for adjustment. Are you feeding just liver? Be sure to go 50/50 liver and some other organ. 

Note: I can't believe I'm giving advice when I'm rather a newbie myself. But here I am expounding. I've read a ton about this and that...and these folks here have really been a well of knowledge and help. If my advice is off kilter, please, you more experienced ones, correct me. lol. I hate to be presumptuous.  :startle:

• Spy Car likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO