Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

All About The Poop!

- - - - - poop consistency

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Aleks

Aleks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi all,

My name is Aleks and I love this forum - it's what got us started on Raw a year ago, and I can't imagine having fed our Aussie - Jet - anything else! We're also working on adapting our cat's diet, but that's a whole other process. I'm hoping the great people here might be able to help.

I wanted to start a topic specifically on poop, as having now fed raw for a year, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I need to adjust my expectations. Specifically, Jet's food is delivered in small, frozen portions by meat-type that allow us to mix up what he eats: combining bone-in chicken, with green tripe, and organs, switching chicken for pork, or ground beef, etc. Our supplier provides the right proportion of bone-to-meat-to-organ ratio for the month and we just mix and match his meals.

That said, the problem we have is that Jet, depending on what his meal consists of that day, ends up with extremely varied poops. Instead of the chalky, standard consistency that breaks up easily, some days we have terrible diarrhea, other times he struggles with really hard, small and painful stool. Sometimes it's softer and with a muscus-like coating. Having read all about the dietary benefits, on the whole, his stool is much smaller and less smelly, but I definitely don't see the consistency that generally is touted as such a great benefit of raw diet.

My question ultimately is whether I'm supposed to mix all the various meats more thoroughly to give him a more consistent diet and consequently more consistent stools? I assume that wouldn't happen in the wild? Right now, with a full bowl Jet ALWAYS goes for the good stuff -  tripe and organ first, and then the bone-in-meat - so his first poops tend to be loose and his afternoon poops are hard. I think this kind of roller-coaster situation is likely hard on his stomach too, never mind the clean-up required when he's having a rough day!

Has anyone else experienced this? How do you get the same consistency when feeding meat straight from the butcher? We have a great supplier but it's definitely not the prepackaged/premixed stuff! Any help or tips would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Aleks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poop, consistency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO