Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Booster Vaccines For 1-2 Year Old Dog

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

So Meeko came from a puppy mill, and I don't know anything about whether or not he was vaccinated there. The vet gave him vaccines for distemper, adenovirus II, parainfluenza, parvo and rabies when I brought him home at around 8-12 months old. Well, his booster's due in February, and I am wondering if a booster is necessary at all?

I don't really want to get him vaccinated for anything other than rabies. I'm worried that he won't do well since he's so small... but he also does get groomed and I'm pretty sure certain vaccines are required for grooming places too.

He also goes hiking with me so sometimes he can get into animal poop and whatnot. Do you think he should be vaccinated for other things?

So anyway... thoughts? Advice? What do you all think? 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Well, my Copper sort of came from the same situation. All I gave was the full puppy series and that was it. She's never had another vaccine.

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

In my honest opinion, no.  Rabies is boostered 1 year and then whatever your local government requires (usually annually or one year then every 3 years.)

Your hiking vaccine would be lepto if that is a problem in your area.  These are generally given in a 5 way (DHLPP) vs what you got (DHPP)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I wouldn't vaccinate either. The lepto vaccine is not a good one in any sense of the word- doesn't even protect against getting the disease in my experience.

Rabies is the only one I recommend keeping current just because of the laws- I've seen dogs euthanized because they weren't current and a rabid animal was found dead on the property. So get it to not only protect them from the disease but also from the law

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Thanks for the input, guys!

So I think I will only get the booster for rabies.

I honestly don't even give him Revolution or anything like that. Just deworming a few times a year using diatomaceous earth. So far he's been healthy as a horse (minus random itch in his right ear recently, but I think it's just ear wax build up because I cleaned it with some olive/oregano oil and it cleared right up), so I'm not too worried.

Rabies here is every three years (thank goodness!) after the 1 year booster :)

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I've been debating this as well.  We won't be giving anymore vaccines except rabies but I am REALLY not wanting to give my chi Sprocket, rabies.  He had a bad reaction last time.  Thankfully he isn't due for another 2 years.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I've been debating this as well.  We won't be giving anymore vaccines except rabies but I am REALLY not wanting to give my chi Sprocket, rabies.  He had a bad reaction last time.  Thankfully he isn't due for another 2 years.

What kind of reaction did he have? 

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

What kind of reaction did he have? 

He broke out in these itchy scabby hive type things all over his body and lost a bunch of hair.  He was miserable and I don't really want to put him through that again. 

In the big picture, its probably not really a bad reaction but still something I want to avoid. I need to weigh the pros and cons, I suppose.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

If it was documented by a vet you could probably get a rabies exempt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO