Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Anal Glands Not Expressing By Themselves

anal gland not expressing expressing naturally scooting licking scratching anal gland

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Hey All!

I have a question for you all, Autumn has been scooting on her bum and licking and scratching at her behind seems like for months now. I've gone to the Vet, of course they needed to express her anal glands not once but twice and they were super full they said because she wasn't expressing them naturally during her poopin' time. Her diet has always stayed consistent, I can't think back to anything that I've given her that was new that might have triggered her to have smaller/"skinny" stools. 

What can I do to help her express her anal glands naturally? Or change in her diet? I've already tried to add a little bit more bone to "bulk up" her stools and make them a little firmer but no go still, she still scoots and licks her butt all crazy! I've also tried giving her some pureed pumpkin but it only improves it for a short time then its back to scootin'!

HELP HER BUTT OUT - LITERALLY! 

• Fatenami likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Raw fed dogs typically don't need them expressed manually. Their diet does it naturally due to the bone keeping them firm.

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Raw fed dogs typically don't need them expressed manually. Their diet does it naturally due to the bone keeping them firm.

Should I be increasing the bone intake in her diet then? To what percent?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

How often are you feeding bone now? As long as you are feeding bone in meals a few times a week you should be fine. If you are seeing runny poops a lot on a regular basis, then you would need the bone to help firm poops and express the sacks. But just regular raw feeding shouldn't be a problem.

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

How often are you feeding bone now? As long as you are feeding bone in meals a few times a week you should be fine. If you are seeing runny poops a lot on a regular basis, then you would need the bone to help firm poops and express the sacks. But just regular raw feeding shouldn't be a problem.

I DON'T KNOW WHY MY RESPONSE NEVER GOT POSTED TO YOU!

Anyway, he doesn't usually have runny stools. Almost every stool is nice a firm, slightly soft if you were to press on it. But still, her anal glands do not express! Even when I have added a little more bone to her meals, she still has this issue up until today - I know this because she still scoots, licks at her privates, rash around the private area and some times her anal will sightly express involuntarily. 

What do to with her diet?? Vet said that we should manually express them each time but I'm afraid that will cause complications - like weakening of the muscle around it where she can't express the herself anymore or something like that. 

But definitely need any kind of advice that I can try with her DIET FIRST! Before the vet tells me something I don't wanna do for Autumn. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

Are you giving any oils? How often? You may want to stop those for some time and see what happens. Some dogs just have to have them continually expressed,  I would also still try increasing bone more. 

It could also be tapeworms, as well. They can show the same symptoms as blocked anal glands. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Could you give a sample of her meals (i.e. tues. Whole turkey neck; Wed. ground beef with chicken feet...)? It could be diet or it could be something genetic. When did this issue first seem to appear (how long ago and her age at the time)?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anal gland, not expressing, expressing, naturally, scooting, licking, scratching, anal, gland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO