Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pork Issues

- - - - - diarrhea pork issues

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Still am trying to get Mya transitioned onto pork, its been about 2-3 weeks.

She's had diarrhea after every feeding of pork. It stops as soon as I feed turkey or chicken. We are now going into our 2nd month on raw and I'm worried about her becoming nutrient deficient since it's taking so long to get onto red meat and since we haven't started liver yet.

Should I just skip Pork? Maybe she's allergic?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

What cut of pork are you feeding? Bone in? Pork sometimes seems to be a issue for some for some reason. If you have been trying for 2-3 weeks and she still isn't handling it, even with bone then yes, try moving on to beef. But, do still give something with bone along with it, and start pretty small at first. Beef is pretty rich.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I was feeding the pork with her bone in meal and even upped her bone intake without a change. I'll just try beef next because she needs to get on some more proteins. I used to feed her chunks of beef when I would cook, and she never got diahrrea, so I think beef will work great
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Something about pork sometimes. Keep us posted on how the beef goes.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Will do! I'll start her tomorrow, as she doesn't get a bone in meal today. The chicken thighs I've been buying have huge bones compared to the ones I bought before, so I have to feed bone every other day

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

I have never fed pork and have had plenty of red meat options (i.e. deer, goat, lamb, beef). There was a discussion not long ago on a raw mailing list that pork isn't easily digested by dogs (this was being discussed by people who feed pork) and can cause GI upset. There are many people who feed it and say there dogs are fine though. If your dog has issues with it, certainly find another protein. You can always "revisit" it later if that's something you want to offer and see how it goes.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Were I editing the Getting Started Guide, I'd move pork way to the back of the pack as far as proteins go. 

It would be a late stage addition. Many dogs seem to have issues with pork. Much more so than with beef in my experience.

Bill

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Good luck with the beef!

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
She's on beef and has literally 0 stomach upset. With pork she would get cannon butt hours after feeding it.
  • TRDmom and zeusthedapple like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

She's on beef and has literally 0 stomach upset. With pork she would get cannon butt hours after feeding it.

Good news!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

That's great that beef is going so well! There are other red meats to feed besides pork, so maybe just stay away from it, since it seems to have been the cause of the problem.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

She's eating full meals of beef without any issue what so ever. Our foster dog has lost all interest in kibble and only wants Mya's raw meals... Time to start this girls transition!

I have about 4 pounds of lamb in the freezer, planning on starting Mya on this later this week.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I would try pork again at a later date when she's better established on raw. I went through the same thing with chicken when my Xolo was a puppy so I just moved on to turkey. He's three now and I've actually been thinking about trying him on chicken again. We don't buy chicken much anymore since Dude died. With two eating chicken and Dude doing best with lots of chicken in his diet, we bought it a lot, but now Buck just eats what Iorveth eats and Iorveth got cannon butt on chicken. It's been years since he's had more than a few bites of raw chicken at one time so maybe I ought to try it again. it'd give me another cheap protein, I suppose!

Glad to hear the beef is working well. You could also check to see if the pork was enhanced. That can mess with a dog's digestive system. 

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I buy all organic, non enhanced meat. So I don't think the pool would be

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

When I started feeding raw I didn't take it anywhere close to as gradually as is recommended. I think I did chicken for about a week, then added liver, then some other meat for a week, then another. But I didn't go through all the different meats I'd be feeding in the coming months. I just started putting anything into their bowl. I hadn't read that much yet on it. Luckily none of my dogs had any issues to speak of except maybe a little loose or hard stool at first until I got that figured out. 

My question is...what do they do in nature when hunting or scavenging? Do they say to their buddy, "Hey, no, don't go after that rabbit. We're still on chicken. And skip the liver. That's next week." I guess more dogs have allergies these days in our society...with all the over vaccinating and chemicals, the over exposure to one kind of meat perhaps? But seriously, is it really a problem to get going on the essentials like organ meat? I wouldn't wait for months and months to begin that. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

You can start sooner if your dog handles it OK. I think being careful is more of a convenience thing for us really. In the wild, I'm sure they do have digestive issues on occasion as well, but they aren't in our living room or bedroom when cannon butt happens. 

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

LOL! Oh yes, the cannon butt can really be inconvenient, can't it. haha.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

When I started feeding raw I didn't take it anywhere close to as gradually as is recommended. I think I did chicken for about a week, then added liver, then some other meat for a week, then another. But I didn't go through all the different meats I'd be feeding in the coming months. I just started putting anything into their bowl. I hadn't read that much yet on it. Luckily none of my dogs had any issues to speak of except maybe a little loose or hard stool at first until I got that figured out. 

My question is...what do they do in nature when hunting or scavenging? Do they say to their buddy, "Hey, no, don't go after that rabbit. We're still on chicken. And skip the liver. That's next week." I guess more dogs have allergies these days in our society...with all the over vaccinating and chemicals, the over exposure to one kind of meat perhaps? But seriously, is it really a problem to get going on the essentials like organ meat? I wouldn't wait for months and months to begin that. 

Wild canines are bred by survival of the fittest. Only those that can handle life in the wild survive. They are also born into these diets. Puppies take to raw MUCH better than most adults do and those from raw fed breeders are often eating a lot of various proteins by the time they go home between 8 and 12 weeks. However, many people are switching over dogs who have spent years eating processed cereal foods and it is a huge change to their systems. 

If a dog gets loose and goes feral and does manage to pick up the skills to survive, it's just going to have to deal with cannon butt its new diet is going to give it when it catches that rabbit. I don't know about you, but I've learned that dogs are disgusting creatures that don't mind a little diarrhea. They roll in dead things, lick each others genitals, and scavenge dirty diapers out of the trash. When left to their own devices, dogs aren't thinking about how their stomach is going to feel later after they've eaten this delicious thing. 

I also feel that going slow and doing what you can to avoid cannon butt is for our human sanity as well. I've had to clean runny dog poop out of carpet and it's not my idea of a good time. I'm sure we've all had an upset stomach at one point and sometimes our bodies don't give us the option to wait until it's a convenient time to run to the toilet. For the dogs, even the reliably housebroken ones like my boys, sometimes getting those sleeping humans up out of bed and awake enough to understand that you're asking to go outside takes longer than your body can handle. 

After having switched three dogs over to raw, I'm happy to just let the dog's digestive system tell me how fast to go. If it needs two weeks for one protein then I'll wait. If its ready to move on, we move on. It's not a black and white "you must do this" type of thing. As Captain Barbossa would say, "They're more like guidelines than actual rules."

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

My feeling is that delaying organs is ill advised. Dogs (and especially puppies) need the nutrients, and delay can cause "pickiness" (which can be a long-term problem).

Best IMO to start early, while keeping amounts small and working up. 

For the transition, rather than feeding over-loads of bone, which can cause GI issues and vomiting, in hopes of avoiding loose stools, I think more good comes from feeding bone in moderation while reducing fat at the very beginning. Fats are essential, but dogs need to be conditioned to fat burning/digestion. Better to address the real issue (the need to condition dogs to fat) than create more potential problems in over feeding bone to plug dogs up.

Bill

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diarrhea, pork, issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO