Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Eating Fabric!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

happyrescues

happyrescues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm a newbie to the site, having joined about 2 months ago.  We have 3 dogs - a 4 y/o Pit/Boxer mix, a 4 y/o GSD/Rott mix (both rescues) and an 8 y/o Shih Tzu that we inherited from my mother-in-law when she passed from cancer about 5 years ago.  I started them all on a RFD at the beginning of this year after many months of research, and they have done extremely well!  Their coats are better, not shedding as much as before, more energy, etc.  They get their raw meat and bones in the AM, raw meat in the PM, along with vitamin & enzyme supplements with every meal.  They also receive a frozen veggie cube... basically a frozen veggie/fruit smoothie every meal.  My question/problem is the following. 

Our Pit/Boxer mix started eating fabric about 6-7 weeks ago.  Not every day, and not every time we leave them alone.  Our dogs are not crated during the day if none of us are at the house, and we have never had a problem with any of them chewing or damaging things around the house.  They sleep in their crates at night, but the doors are not closed.  Now, about 6-7 weeks ago, we started a kitchen remodel.  When he started eating fabric, we assumed that it was because we had to crate the dogs during the day when the construction workers were in the house.  He was anxious and not like himself, and we would take him (them) for multiple walks and runs. But we would find scarves, shirts, towels, etc. chewed on with pieces missing.  He would vomit the next day, or he would poop it out.  We have not had to take him to the vet yet, but we've come close. 

He had his annual vet check a few weeks ago and the vet agreed that it was probably the stress of having strangers in the house and being cooped up some days. But the issue is the construction has been completed a couple of weeks ago, yet I have found him still eating fabric.  The most recent time was this afternoon. - he ate some of the cover off of one of the dog beds.  The research I've seen could suggest a mineral deficiency.  That is my question - could he have a mineral deficiency, and if so, which one?  Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

Sorry for the long post for such a simple question... I wanted to provide some back history of what he has been through.  Other than this problem, he is an outstanding dog - well trained and he thinks he's a 65# lapdog!

Any help would be appreciated before we take him to the vet for some blood work (or whatever he will do!)

• OctavioMype likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

If it was a mineral deficiency, he would be likely eating dirt. I have heard of that happening. 

To me, if he just started during the construction, it could have started as stress related and is sort of stuck and become a sort of habit. I'm not a behaviorist or trainer but I would work to stop it. You don't want a blockage because of it. Maybe someone else will be able to give some ideas as to what to do.

• Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

My thinking is the same as Jenny's above.

I'd expect this was a behavioral issue that started under stress and became a habit, not a nutritional issue.

As to ensuring nutritional needs are met, are you feeding 10% organs (half of that liver) as part of the diet? I'd not see organs mentioned.

Bill

happyrescues

happyrescues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the responses... that was my thought also, with all the construction and disruption.  He has been to a trainer before for the basics - maybe I'll get hold of her and go that direction.  In regards to organ meat, I do supply the dogs with liver, kidneys and gizzards, but probably not as much as I should - most likely around 5%.  I'm trying to get them to eat more of it, but they don't like it raw.  So I initially cooked it, which defeats the purpose.  But now I'm adding raw liver and kidney to cooked burger, which seems to work for the moment.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Have you tried organs frozen? Could it be a texture thing? 

Or still give the smaller amounts at a time, and split it up several times during the week. That way, its small amounts at a time, but still getting some more over a stretched out period of time. If that makes sense?

• Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Have you tried organs frozen? Could it be a texture thing? 

Or still give the smaller amounts at a time, and split it up several times during the week. That way, its small amounts at a time, but still getting some more over a stretched out period of time. If that makes sense?

+1. Try frozen. I feed organs daily, alternating liver one day, another organ the next. Makes it hard to forget.

Bill

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I don't know where you are at with these issues, but I also agree with Jenny and Bill about the stress becoming habit and the frozen organs. One of mine will not eat any liver thawed, but freeze it solid and he would eat it until he burst.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO