Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Lamb Necks For Tiny Dogs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

I came across two packages of lamb necks marked down so I bought them. As I was taking them out of the pack and cutting off some of the meat, I noticed how dense and strong these bones are. Do any of you feed lamb neck bones to tiny dogs with tiny teeth? I am a little worried about breaking teeth or even swallowing a piece that's too sharp or hard. Mostly I feed chicken bones because they're soft enough for my wee ones to crush. If I chicken out on these bones, I can cut off more meat and just feed meat and chicken bones I guess. But it's hard to get all the good meat off these bones....too many twists and turns in them. What has been your experience? I'm sure I'm annoying. I asked about hard rabbit bones once but they're smaller and these things are reeeeeeeelly hard and too large anyhow for the little dogs. But I was thinking they could maybe gnaw on them for a little while, then I can trade them for something really tasty and take them away. (?)

Thanks in advance.

• ThomasEl likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have never fed lamb neck bones, but considering the size of your dogs if you are worried, just do what you have planned. Cut off the meat and feed that. You can try using it as a sort of "rec" bone and see how it goes. If it just seems too hard, take it away. Trial and error sometimes is how you learn what works and what doesn't.

• ThomasEl and Poodlebeguiled like this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

The farm I visit has offered me lamb necks before. I'm not sure how I feel about them for my pups. I think Harley might be able to crunch through it, or at least recognize when she can't and walk away. I wouldn't give it to Zeus, as the less able he is to chew something, the more he tries to gulp it. (no matter the size). You can try it if you feel alright with it, but there's nothing wrong with shaving off the meat. I did that to some lamb shanks and they were still just as happy ^_^

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

It is risky I think for these tiny dogs. Their teeth are tiny. Their mouths are tiny and some bones seem really dense and hard. So, I've come to the conclusion that I will cut off the meat and give them a chicken bone, like I do with a lot of things. Thanks for the feed back. I'm still just a little insecure sometimes about what I'm doing. I appreciate it. 

• naturalfeddogs and zeusthedapple like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

If you aren't comfortable with it, you aren't comfortable. You feel its too much, and you are probably right. Follow your gut and feed what you know is appropriate for your size dogs. Nothing insecure about it!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Our pin will cut through pretty much anything, and I haven't worried so far about feeding different bones. If you aren't comfortable, don't do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO