Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Meal Prep

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Where I'm living now, it seems like meal prep will be the best option for me. But I don't know which containers to buy to save the most of my money and get the most out of it. I'd be making meals for two dogs and I'd have to feed twice a day. I don't know how to go about this. Any suggestions?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

You may just have to use some trial and error to see what works for you. Try some cheap zip lock type plastic freezer containers, and you can try freezer bags and just see how it goes.

• zeusthedapple likes this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Yeah, I might do. Idk I think for how I prep everything now and my schedule, it's probably just going to be easiest for me to just ziploc up individual proteins and make meals in the moment. I guess I just want to achieve the bowl prep (lol idk y)

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts

You will figure out what what works for you as go along.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

What  I do is have bins in my freezer for the various parts of my dogs' raw diet: Specialty meats means anything but chicken. I named some but that isn't limited to those things. In between the bins are a few inches of space where I put tiny plastic containers of ground up bone for Jose` and there are a few containers of pureed vegetables. I've all but stopped using the veggies but sometimes I give them a half tsp or so. They fit just right there. And on a shelf in the door are freezer bags of all the organ meats divided into a couple meal's worth for all three little dogs. (that is not pictured)

2bc9ffe5-1f55-4072-97c7-7dbb51997d38_zps

03bc3055-7b0f-4e3d-b3c0-79b62364d516_zps

Down in the bottom section of the freezer I have all the big roasts or packages of things I haven't cut up or portioned into bags yet...sort of my back-up

21bf9112-d9bb-495c-8be1-b70b898e1de3_zps

So, what I do is put in a meal's worth for my three dogs of the various muscle meats in an el cheapo sandwich baggie. I put 3 or 4 (whatever will fit) of those baggies into a more expensive zip lock quart sized freezer bag. I do the same with the bones. I then put them in the bins as shown. I take out a baggie of each thing that I need for the next meal. (one meal a day, plus a little snack in the morning...sometimes an egg or a little tiny bit of yogurt) After fixing up their bowls for dinner, their main meal, I look and see what is needed for tomorrow's dinner so I can get it out of the freezer to start thawing in fridge. I put all the baggies I need into an 8x8 cake pan and store that in the fridge. Sometimes I've miscalculated and have a little left over tripe or muscle meat so I still need some more of something but can use the day old stuff too. They get tripe with every meal so that's always needed. 

Anyhow, the baggies take up less space than containers. I label the freezer bags with the date and what it is. Anyhow, this seems to work for me.

• naturalfeddogs and zeusthedapple like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts

The bags do take up less space, but to me containers seem more organized.

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

The bags do take up less space, but to me containers seem more organized.

Well, yes...you can probably stack them more tidily. The bags don't stack but they line up fairly well. And I try to keep the beef together and behind that something else and so on. But they often get mixed up a little so I have to sort of rifle through a tad, as if it were a file cabinet. But there's not that much in there so it's not too big a deal. But I see your point about containers having their pros. But also, we're talking about tiny dogs vs bigger dogs. I can see with large dogs, baggies might not be as workable as they are with the little ones. And I can see why containers would hold more and be stacked and so forth in a more organized fashion. 

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I double bag. Putting a "potion" inside a snack sized ziplock (except quarters, which go in a sandwich sized bag) and the batch goes in a gallon sized zip lock.

Meals are assembled from different "portions" with bone and organ as close to 10% of the daily meal as possible.

Bill

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I actually really appreciate understanding how each of you organize the meats. Fascinating, and I think it helps.

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I think it would great to put the meat, including a little tripe, a little bone (in my case) and organ into a baggie...the whole meal already portioned out, put in the freezer and it would ready to feed with no additional portioning needed. It would be easier for a "baby sitter" to feed too! As it is, I use pre-made raw for that. I could just grab a bag, pour the contents into a bowl and give to the dog. But I suspect what would happen is I'd put it in their bowls and discover there's a little too much of something or a little too little. lol. As it is, I grab some meat, estimating enough for 3 dogs, one meal...and sometimes, once I put it in their bowls, I see there is a tad left over, which I use the next day, in combination with a new meat. Usually, if it's off, it's too much, not too little. One time it was too little and I stirred up a couple raw eggs and put it on top of their meals. Or I can open a can of sardines in a pinch. So, for my slightly inaccurate measuring method, it works better to keep the components separate and put them together on the last minute. I look, I might take out a little piece from one's bowl and put it in the bigger dog's bowl or see that one is getting ripped off and sneak some from the other dog's bowl and put it in that guy's bowl. lol.  It takes about 10 minutes give or take to prepare their meal for the night. So, like I said, this is what I've been doing and it seems to work for my circumstance. But everyone finds certain ways better for their individual circumstance or not... and adapts a method that will work best for them. Trial and error helps too, to get to the right fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO