Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting Over From Scratch...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Had a long talk with the vet yesterday, she's got a lot of horse sense.

The last couple of days, the dog has been reverse sneezing quite a bit, eyes are tearing up. It's an allergy, gave him some plain old reactine and and it cleared up nicely.

Anyhow, while we were going through all the trials and such with him, there was a big thing missing - the thyroid wasn't being treated. Now that his T4 levels are good, we still have issues and I have to accept the fact that it's an allergy or a reaction to something. The thyroid being out of whack will cause his immune system to be overactive.

So it appears we have environmental - could be dust (we live in a dust bowl), dust mites etc but it really matters not how clean a place is, can't get rid of them. But something is going on internally creating the scratching.

Throw me some ideas of what else to try.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I'm thinking of trying Longevity, from http://springtimeinc.com for one of mine, Copper who has environmental allergies as well. 

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Reactine had some effect over the last couple of weeks, switched to claritin today for a trial, see if there's any difference. The itching has subsided some, but he seems to be vomiting every few days.

Have to wonder if he's in any pain for some reason, he'll actively seek out the corner of a blanket and suck on it.

Started him on milk thistle today for his liver. Here's hoping.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

I so wish dogs could talk and just tell us in words what is going on. That would be so much easier!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

I really wish they could tell us what's wrong, been a long haul with this poor bugger but having a decent vet with an open mind really helps. His synthroid dose is upped to .125 as a trial - his levels were pretty good on the last test but still some wiggle room.

Claritin seems to be working better for him than reactin, itching is way down and hopes are high that it stays that way. As much as I hate pushing pills down his throat...

Milk thistle in liquid format? He hates it. Don't blame him, tastes like antiseptic or iodine or something. He takes off running when that bottle comes out, need to find something better.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Should update. Since switching to Claritin, and upping the dose of synthroid, he seems to be getting better. Not as many bouts of diarrhea, and much of what he's getting now is due to people sneaking treats to him. Soon going to have to put a sign on his back when running the parks.

His coat is back in near full, still a few small patches on his ears and tail but nothing serious.

Never did get the milkthistle into him, the liquid is disgusting and the pills are too large. Going to crush the pills and add them to the next batch of organ ice cubes.

• Caniches likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

Sounds like things are maybe getting better for you finally! You have been through it.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO