Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Today Is The Day!

Best Answer naturalfeddogs , 06 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

Poops will be much smaller on raw, due to being able to digest so much of it compared to kibble. Mine all poop about once a day, tiny little turds. If you see excess straining to poop, or the poop is actually coming out of the shoot white, then it's too much bone. But even still, if you want to add some boneless to it and see how she does, you can.

As long as all is going well poop wise, stay on chicken for about a week and a half. After that, you can add some turkey and do the same. Then move on to pork, venison, beef etc... As far as adding organs, I have always waited until closer to the end of the protein introductions, but once you have started red meats you can add a VERY TINY amount of liver. I recommend giving it with bone, because liver is really rich. All of mine are well transitioned to raw, but I still give organs with something bone in. 

I don't use any percentages at all. Those are nothing but guidelines, and all dogs are different. I go by body condition and activity level, and feed accordingly. No dog in the wild is worried about percentages. That is totally made up by man at some point along the way. If it helps you, that's absolutely fine, but don't get hung up on it and let it stress you out. 

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Great point on the sodium Jenny. Do look.

Bill

Ashley K

Ashley K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
So the chicken I had was 90mg of sodium per serving. Is this the causing of the loose stools? Yesterday it seemed like she was straining a little to Poo and all that came out was a runny little drop basically.. Could this mean blockage? Is it the sodium?

Please help! Thank you!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

It is likely the sodium level. Lots of brands of chicken have high levels. Dogs don't tolerate sodium real well, and some are just more sensitive to it than others. If you can't find any lower, I think your best bet would be to move on to turkey necks. 

Ashley K

Ashley K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
Do I just start feeding turkey necks or do I alernate? What else to I add to the meal for more meat or do I need that yet? I feed twice about 6 oz. can you please give me a meal rxample

Thank you!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

For a couple of days, just give turkey necks. Once the poops firm and are looking better, you can add some boneless turkey like breast or thigh. Then stay with that for a good week at least before introducing the next protein.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I must dissent on the advise to feed turkey necks (alone) as the bone is a whopping 60%.

I would find a source lower sodium chicken. A dog straining to poop is almost always dealing with too much bone (so even more bone is not the answer IMO).

Too much sodium can definitely cause the squirts. This caution should be added to the Getting Started Guide when it is revised. 

I'd try a lower-sodium chicken bone-in piece augmented with a little boneless breast meat. Fat reduced at first.

Bill

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Since you have a little one you're feeding, I would offer chicken necks and boneless chicken, like breast. The chicken neck is also a better size for puppies. Do keep an eye on the sodium levels; I've noticed a lot of chicken in the store is enhanced.

Personally, I've never transitioned any of my dogs (or cat). We just went "cold turkey" and they received multiple types of meat the first week. My current pup received chicken necks, lamb tripe, beef tripe, course ground (whole) salmon, beef liver, chicken liver, beef muscle meat, duck eggs, and I'm sure something else that I'm forgetting, in the first week or two that we had her. She has been fine. Same with the cat, though the beef liver did give him a runny stool.

Its my preference to feed "as usual" from the start, but every dog and situation is different. Figure out what works for you.

• naturalfeddogs and Spy Car like this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

+1 on TRD's suggestion of chicken necks and breast. 

I must admit when I saw 4 months I projected a Vizsla sized dog at 4 months, not a 10 pounder. Necks balanced with meat would give finer bone. 

Sorry I missed that. Well spotted TRDMom. 

Good thing to have a community for back-up!

Bill

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

I read somewhere about "plumping" a chicken. That is injecting broth (aka: Sodium, lots of it) into the chicken to plump it up, flavor it and make it juicy. Tyson does this. Foster Farms does not. I don't know about other brands. I have trouble finding certain things from Foster Farms though, such as gizzards and hearts, which I like because they're cheap and nutritious. So I sometimes have to get the ones they probably inject broth into. 

For my little micro dogs, there's hardly a bone I can give that has enough meat on it to make the ratio 10% bone without winding up over feeding them. So, they always have a small bone or half a bone, usually a chicken bone and additional meat chunks, plus organ and a little tripe included in the muscle meat. Many or most kinds of bones just seem too much for their tiny mouths and teeth to crush down on. I'm sure feeding bigger dogs is easier. These tiny Poodles' digestive systems may be like wolves' but their teeth, tiny jaws and teensy mouths sure aren't. lol. 

• naturalfeddogs and Caniches like this

Ashley K

Ashley K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Hi everyone! so i switch over to turkey necks and now added other turkey meat (thighs and breasts) we have solid poops!

is it time to add a new protein and organ meat? should the organ come from turkey?? also, my pup likes to bury bones so if i give her a thigh bone she won't eat it.. what can i do to make her eat all of it?

thanks again!

Ashley K

Ashley K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

is it okay to mix a a bone with a different protein source?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

How long have you been on turkey? Give it at least a good week to week and half first, with solid poops. After that time, you can try to give just a little TINY bit of liver, along with the neck for bone. Calf liver will be the best and probably the easiest liver to find. If poops are still good then, you can go ahead THEN and add some pork. Don't rush through any of it, or you risk cannon butt. Then, you will need to go back a step. You will get through all the proteins, be patient! You sound like you are on a good roll! 

Ashley K

Ashley K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Hi been on turkey for at least a week. and she's been doing good with poops. all i could find recently was turkey liver.. so hopefully she's okay with that. ill add in the liver then next week let her last some pork chops! as long as stool looks good. i also have some chicken heart, when should i add that in??

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

I would add either the heart or the liver for now, but not both, and very tiny amount of either one you go with. Too much at once and you could be asking for digestive issues. Remember, no rush. Move along according to how well your dog handles everything new.

A week is good, and you could move on to pork. However, be careful with chops as they tend to be artificially cut with unusually sharp edges. If you can get some ribs, that would be much safer. You can get packs of smaller ribs, or the large whole racks. Those are the ones I feed mine, but you may want smaller if yours are smaller dogs. Yours are pretty small, right? 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

I'd try beef next, if I were you. Beef heart isn't too expensive. Since you've got a little one, chuck roast or steaks marked down at the store may be an option for you. Smaller dogs have the advantage of having food last longer. :) My 3 month old pup just ate a few pounds of rabbit for her breakfast...

Fish, such as salmon, would be another option to consider. I didn't feed much fish in the past because I didn't have an affordable source and we had plenty of other meats available (e.g. goat, deer, beef).

As for organs, you could give a bite-sized (for your dog) piece multiple times a week and see how that goes. I've always provided the "correct" (a relative term) amounts of meat/bone/organ from the start and not had issues with diarrhea/stomach upset. Sometimes soft stools, but nothing concerning. Each dog is different though. Good luck! :)

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Wanted to add that you are free to mix proteins. For example, you could do rabbit meat, beef liver, and chicken feet in one meal.

To make sure your pup eats all of its food, the easiest way is to feed in a crate. That way they can't bury it. You can refrigerate the left-overs.

Ashley K

Ashley K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
Hi all! My pup is having issues! :( she's struggling to poop and when she does its runny again. Maybe I started giving her too much variety too soon? I also have been giving her a tiny bit of liver and heart with each meal.
Here's what I'm doing:
Meal one- beef or pork meat with turkey necks, chicken heart, turkey liver.

She gets about 8oz a meal since she's still only 4.5 months I try to weigh in about .8oz of the organ meat, the bone maybe 2ish oz the rest meat.

I did notice that's she stopped eating the bone gfrom the turkey neck.

I was going to let her try duck wings to see if they were easy to chew.

Please let me know if there's something o can try to make her feel better.!
Thank you!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Try backing off the heart and liver for a bit. Could be too soon for those just yet. Sounds like it could be too much meat and too little bone, if she stopped eating the bone from the necks.Too much rich meats at once can cause runny stools, and even the thicker "soft serve" type that can cause straining to poop, as can too much bone. But, try something like the duck wings and see how it goes. If poops get better, you can slowly add some boneless back in.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Make sure she's getting bone. I would feed her boney piece first to make sure she's eating it. After that is finished, then offer something boneless. How many meals are you feeding per day? At this age, she should be getting about three meals. They don't all have to be the same size. For example: two chicken necks in the morning, a couple chicken hearts in the afternoon, and one chicken liver and chicken heart before bed.

Since you're having stool issues, try chicken one day, turkey the next, and beef on another. I also wouldn't be feeding pork right now. I've not fed it, but I've seen many people have issues with it -- especially in the beginning. If things firm up (make sure she's eating her bones and don't over-feed organs), then you can try pork again. Good luck!!

Ashley K

Ashley K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
I found out that she ate quite a bit of some left over kibble from our other dog which I'm thinking could have had an affect on her Poo.. I think they are already starting to firm. She's okay with pork but I was alternating the red meat which could have been too much.

Should I stick to one main protein a day? When should I back organ? Should I maybe give her a little each day?
Does it need to be liver or can I feed her kidney one day then liver the next?

She is really into duck breast Nd the duck wings.

But I've only been feeding her once in the morning and once at night since I usually work through the middle of the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO