Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Question On How Much I Should Feed My Pup.

Best Answer Spy Car , 06 June 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hi guys mya is 8 months old Siberian husky she weights 42lbs I feed her about 1lb daily including bones organs and meat. today i came across a calculator that had me put in her age and weight and it said I should be feeding her 4.5% of her weight which is 1.89lbs and right now shes getting 2.50%of her weight. I've noticed her acting a little hungry so I've added 6oz to her daily intake. Should i add more or let her tell me?

There is no perfect formula, and one should feed "by condition," meaning if they look too thin feed more, getting thick feed less. That said, most people doing PMR feed in the 2 to 3% of body weight range. At 2.5% you are dead center of typical. At 8 months growth is going to plateau, so less food is typically required.

I'm a strong proponent of keeping dogs lean. Raw fed dogs typically run lean as the diet maximizes burning the fuel for energy, rather than laying on weight.

I'd be careful not to have the dog gain unnecessary weight. That extra-weight is hard on joints. 

Bill

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi guys mya is 8 months old Siberian husky she weights 42lbs I feed her about 1lb daily including bones organs and meat. today i came across a calculator that had me put in her age and weight and it said I should be feeding her 4.5% of her weight which is 1.89lbs and right now shes getting 2.50%of her weight. I've noticed her acting a little hungry so I've added 6oz to her daily intake. Should i add more or let her tell me?
  • betterl1 likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
✓  Best Answer

There is no perfect formula, and one should feed "by condition," meaning if they look too thin feed more, getting thick feed less. That said, most people doing PMR feed in the 2 to 3% of body weight range. At 2.5% you are dead center of typical. At 8 months growth is going to plateau, so less food is typically required.

I'm a strong proponent of keeping dogs lean. Raw fed dogs typically run lean as the diet maximizes burning the fuel for energy, rather than laying on weight.

I'd be careful not to have the dog gain unnecessary weight. That extra-weight is hard on joints. 

Bill

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you for the reply and she's definitely on the leaner side I've kept up the regiment I've been going on for about a month now and she has gained maybe a pound she's been at 42 for awhile now. I just started bumping it up about a week ago I'll just wait to see if I need to cut back or add more. And and off topic question, I value your opinion do you feed you dog once or twice a day?

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Your dog is about at the age where I moved to one feeding, given post daily exercise and post cool down.

It is well-established that hard running dogs do better when not run on full bellies. When feeding kibble this imperative gets muddled by other concerns. A dog that wolves down a huge meal of kibble can bloat. A dog run on an early meal can bloat. A dog fed carbs as the primary energy source can fade, etc.

However, raw-feeding removes all the side-issues. Because a raw fed dog is burning fat as the primary energy source (with proteins being secondary) the availability of glycogen to the muscles is almost unlimited. This has been scientifically demonstrated in numerous sled-dog studies. So a dog fed an evening PRM meal will be able to sustain maximum exertion without the negative effects of either running while full of food (which is demonstrated to hurt performance and is a bloat risk) and does not have the risk of energy "fade" that carb-fed dogs experience.

The multiple feeding a day thing is one of those human constructs that it is easy to fall into, but the matter is pretty-well researched and it backs the experiences of mushers and hunters. When fed high-protein high fat-diets it is better to feed once a day (evening meals). Kibbles complicate the matter, as they introduce conflicting issues related specifically to the high carbohydrate rations.

My advise with a Husky (which are a little hard to judge by eye) is to get used to palpating the dog's rib cage. You will be able to feel how much of a fat layer (if any) is between the skin and the ribs. As I said, my strong preference is to keep the dogs lean, especially at this age. My Vizsla, a breed that tends to run lean in any case, went through the slightly gawky stage at 8 months. I endured a few comments from owners of obese Labs about him being skinny. No one is laughing now.

The other measure to take (beyond feeling the ribs) is to look down from over-head to see if your dog has a "tuck" or waist. When dogs are getting too girthy the tuck starts disappearing.

Running a dog like a husky on the lean-side will advance long-term health. It might require you to absorb some comments from owners of obese dogs, but.....

Bill

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you for the info, when do you feed you dog or dogs? And are you a one meal feeder as well?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I feed one meal a day, but I will give a mid morning snack of chicken feet or beef trachea too, if I have any.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
That's what I was thinking of doing here soon. When do you feed the meal around noon? Do they get anything after that?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Mine eat around seven or even eight in the evening, with the exception of a snack. I geed them at that time because they are settled down for the day, and usually in the house for the night. They are super active, and do a lot of running and playing, in and out of the house all day. I like for them to be settled down before and after eating. Also, none of them are big on eating early anyway. Usually they will turn down meals, and sometimes even snacks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO