Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Laying Hens

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Sadie & Bowser

Sadie & Bowser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCanada
I got laying hens from my local farmer for a good price. The hens are old so the meat is tough and the bones felt really hard and I'm nervous to feed them. Apparently they make really nice stock so it won't upset me if I can't feed them, just womdering if anyone else has any experience with this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Oh Yea. We fed some of our old hens to the dogs several years ago. They are just fine to feed. Probably better than what you buy in a store that are raised commercial.

Sadie & Bowser

Sadie & Bowser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCanada
Ok thank you! I tried feeding them my terrier ate it no problem (she will eat anything) but my shepherd as usual turned his nose up to it. We even got some beautiful duck breasts from a friend who hunts and I had to give it to him solid frozen for him to eat it. Wouldn't touch it thawed. Any advice on picky eaters?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Just what you are doing. Try feeding stuff frozen or partially frozen. That seems to work for a lot of dogs who are picky, especially if it's a texture thing. 

Also, you can use "tough love". Put down the meal and leave it for just long enough to eat. Ten or fifteen minutes. If it's not eaten, take it up and offer it again at the next meal. A healthy dog will always eat. Sometimes it could take a couple of days, but they will cave and eat. Sometimes one of mine will have a day here and there when they just don't want to eat. So, once everyone else is done eating, I take it up and they get it the next day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO