Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Sunny

Sunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, I hope some of you still check out the cat portion of this forum! Anyway, my dad's cat is sick. The vets think it's either irritable bowel syndrome or cancer. I know that a raw diet wouldn't help cancer, but do you think it would help his ibs? At this point we're willing to try anything!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

It's possible it could, because it may be some sort of added ingredient in the kibble causing problems. Cats though, can be difficult to get to eat raw. The older they are, the harder it is to get them to eat it. But its certainly worth a try. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

How old is the cat? What food is he eating now? I feed my cat a raw diet. He was started as a kitten, so he took to it right away. As naturalfeddogs said, older cats may take longer to transition. If he is on a dry food, step one would be to try a wet food. We have Sheba canned cat food as backup in case there's an emergency and someone else has to feed him (or I'm sick as a dog and my husband has to run everything!).

Sunny

Sunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
He's six and eats kibble. He's currently also getting a bit of cooked hamburger and loves stealing pepperoni and sausage off pizza, so I'm hoping it won't take him too long to start eating raw.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Just start offering some raw and see what he does. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

My cat goes crazy for whole fish, mice and baby rabbits. I did have to help him at first by removing the head and legs to reveal the "goodness" inside. He also gets beef, poultry and other things that the dog gets (just in smaller portions). Chicken necks and hearts are a good size for cats.

I do kennel the cat when he eats (in a large dog kennel), otherwise the food would be all over the house. Sometimes he likes to play with the food first; other times he gets distracted by something and forgets he has food.

If you're having issues, let us know. There are some trouble-shooting tips we can share. :)

Here are some links I found helpful:

http://rawfedcats.or...cticalguide.htm

http://www.catinfo.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO