Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Problems With Liver- Sos!

Best Answer TRDmom , 04 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

How much does she weigh? How much exactly is the 2.5 percent you've been giving? For example, a 20 pound dog should receive 0.14lbs (2.24 ounces) of liver PER WEEK. That amount can be broken up into multiple days or given once a week--whatever works for her.

I think you were doing ok with offering a daily chunk. You know, some sources (veterinarian raw diet advocates) suggest only giving liver once every two weeks. Not that I do that, but its an example of how not everyone does raw feeding the same way. Don't stress. :)

ETA:

I saw in another post that she's getting a quarter pound of food per day. Is that correct? The amount of liver, PER DAY, would be 0.20 ounces. PER WEEK, that is only a total of 1.4 ounces. Do you have a little kitchen scale (that weighs in pounds/ounces/grams)? That will be your best friend! You can find them rather inexpensively at places like Walmart.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Hello everyone!

I started Mya on the raw diet in the end of February. She has successfully transitioned onto chicken, turkey and beef. I started to try and introduce beef liver as a daily item, at 5% of her diet. Before legitimately introducing the liver, I would periodically give her a chunk without any problems. Now that she is getting 2.5% a day of the beef liver to get her introduced, she has had non stop diarrhea. I have started feeding her more bone, but her poops are mucousy and look very dark colored. The bone stopped getting digested as well and is showing up as pieces in her poops, a problem I haven't seen at all with her before (there usually aren't any bone pieces)

What should I do? I know liver is an essential part of their diet and she's been on the raw diet for about 4.5 months so I'm worrying about her getting deficient in nutrients. Could she be allergic to liver? I only noticed this type of diarrhea when I tried her on pork, of which I no longer feed because she had explosive diarrhea. Help would be much appreciated as I'm feeling very inexperienced and I almost feel inclined to go back to kibble as I'm so worried about not feeding her correctly  :(  

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

That is way too much liver at once. They don't necessarily have to have it all at every meal. I only give it weekly, because it works better for me.

Stop the liver for now, your dog will he fine. Give something easy to handle and with bone, like chicken quarters or turkey necks for the next couple of days. Things should clear up, it just sounds like too much all at once. Once all is good again, if you want to give organ daily, then start back with very tiny pieces, and slowly increase some. 

• Caniches likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
✓  Best Answer

How much does she weigh? How much exactly is the 2.5 percent you've been giving? For example, a 20 pound dog should receive 0.14lbs (2.24 ounces) of liver PER WEEK. That amount can be broken up into multiple days or given once a week--whatever works for her.

I think you were doing ok with offering a daily chunk. You know, some sources (veterinarian raw diet advocates) suggest only giving liver once every two weeks. Not that I do that, but its an example of how not everyone does raw feeding the same way. Don't stress. :)

ETA:

I saw in another post that she's getting a quarter pound of food per day. Is that correct? The amount of liver, PER DAY, would be 0.20 ounces. PER WEEK, that is only a total of 1.4 ounces. Do you have a little kitchen scale (that weighs in pounds/ounces/grams)? That will be your best friend! You can find them rather inexpensively at places like Walmart.

• Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
I'm with TRDMom in thinking that with such a small dog you'd be well advised to weigh out the organ portions. 0.2 oz is only 5.5 grams. That is a tiny piece. Is it possible you are over-estimating?

Personally I feed liver every-other day (at 10%) and a different organ on the off days.

I'd cut out the liver until stools are firm, not increase bone, and then re-introduce with small amounts graduated up slowly (with weighed portions). Go slowly. Think about rotating organs daily.

Best wishes,

Bill

Caniches

Caniches

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Looks like everyone has this covered. How's she doing now?

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Hopefully all is well I feed liver and
secreting organs every meal to control these types of issues.little more tedious when it comes to weighing out the food but she rarely has stool problems.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
took her off the liver, her stool hardened up the next day. Should I try just introducing green tripe to get her used to something other than meat? I have a huge tub of ground green tripe from my pet carnivore. I'll retry the liver a little farther down the road

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
I saw this link breaking down meat and offal (organs) and thought it might be of help. Try to introduce a variety of items. https://k91fancy.wor...-some-tutoring/

Meat:
Muscle
Heart
Lungs
Tongue
Tripe (green tripe, not white/bleached)
Trachea
Gizzard

Offal:
Liver
Kidney
Spleen