Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Panosteitis On A Raw Diet?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ff4christ95

ff4christ95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello fellow forum friends,

I have a six month old german shepherd that is starting to limp while he walks. He has been on a raw diet since we rescued him, which was about six weeks old. I notice him limping intermittently on his front legs but mostly on his back legs. While doing some research, I have read that a high protein/ high fat diet will trigger the panosteitis. My shepherd will randomly yelp while he tries to get up from a lying position. He doesn't yelp or show any signs of discomfort/pain when you touch his legs or joints. He is also playing normally and eating normally. Do you think the raw diet is a contributing factor for this condition? Have any of you ever experienced this before? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

John

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

It is a genetic condition that effects certain large breeds (and GSDs especially).

There isn't a shred of scientific evidence that I;m aware of that supports the nothin that a high protein/high fat diet is contributory. 

Fast growth is discouraged, but that is generally due to too many calories. Carbohydrates are empty calories.

Bill

ff4christ95

ff4christ95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks Bill for your response. Just trying to figure out what might be going on with my puppy

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Raw diets aren't real high in protein, because of the water content of the meat, unlike cooked dried out kibble. I'm not sure how the fat in raw would stack up against kibble, considering the fat in raw is actually used effeciantly(I cant spell that) in the body. 

Like Bill said, it's genetic, and growing fast could contribute. Feeding raw(and this is from my experience over the years), dogs seem to grow slower. Still to full genetic size, but just slower which is good for breeds that can can have growth issues. Even everyone I know with giant breeds like Danes, have never had any growth problems. So, hopefully raw will work in your favor on this.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Thanks Bill for your response. Just trying to figure out what might be going on with my puppy

My understanding is it is best to keep the GSD pup very lean. Good practice in any case. And have a vet work with you on pain relief.

Do keep a check on the PRM ratios, especially for bone and meat. 10% bone will keep you right on target for Calcium/Phosphorus at 1.2:1 ratios. I'd be scrupulous about getting this right, and not feeding excessive Calcium.

The good news is the pup will outgrow it, the bad news is that it is painful jin the interim. 

All the best,

Bill

ff4christ95

ff4christ95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Thanks Bill and Jenny for your response. 

Bill, I will definitely reduce the bone content. Right now I give him 2 leg quarters daily and either half a chicken breast, pork, or meat for his meal. I feed him twice daily. Now, I will give him one leg quarter every other day and the rest will be boneless meat. Hopefully this will slow his growth a little and have his pain go away. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

John

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Thanks Bill and Jenny for your response. 

Bill, I will definitely reduce the bone content. Right now I give him 2 leg quarters daily and either half a chicken breast, pork, or meat for his meal. I feed him twice daily. Now, I will give him one leg quarter every other day and the rest will be boneless meat. Hopefully this will slow his growth a little and have his pain go away. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

John

John, you might consider splitting the quarters (drumstick/thigh) so you give some bone every day if stool firmness (or lack thereof) is an issue. 

10% bone does keep you in the right CA:K ratios, and over-calcification does seem to be a concern with this condition. I'd keep the pup lean myself. Showing some rib. 

I hope it goes well. I hope you will update us.

Bill

ff4christ95

ff4christ95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Update: Our puppy is doing better. He is not limping as much as before and he is not yelping while getting up or sitting down. I followed what Bill said and cut down on his bone content ( gave a drumstick one day and leg meat the next). I also gave him Cosequin, Comfort and ache pills, vitamin C, and Yucca drops. Seems like cutting down on his food in combination with the supplements are helping. He is acting like a puppy again. Thanks for your help and suggestions

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO