Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

4 Week Old Puppy- Sos

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Just picked up a 4 week old puppy from chicago who's mother stopped feeding. I have Ultra 24 milk replacer and puppy food, but how much should I be feeding and how often? He's 5 lbs. The man who I got him from was feeding him 4 times a day. I know at the 4 week stage they should be getting weaned off the milk onto the food, I just want to make sure I'm not under/over feeding him :( I've never cared for a puppy this young

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Have you tried to feed him any raw? One of mine I ended up with when she was around that age, maybe even a little younger. I used chicken necks, smashed with a hammer so they were easy for her to be able to learn with, and as she got bigger, her teeth were all the way in, I backed off the hammering. I never gave any form of milk.

I fed her every bit of four times a day at that point as well. I fed her as long as she was still eating, and once she slowed I took it up and gave it to her at her next feeding.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
The milk and raw are good at this age. Many mothers do start weaning pups around 4-6 weeks. How big is the pup? Do you know the breed or mix it is? I'm not sure about the brand of milk you have, but I'm sure there are decent directions on it. Like naturalfeddogs said, try chicken necks that are smashed a bit first. Cubes of breast are puppy-friendly too. Puppies can be transitioned pretty quickly, but due to stress/weakened immune system, introduce one protein maybe every 2-3 days. Shoot for four meals per day. Good luck!

ETA: I see the pup is 5lbs at 4 weeks. That's a fairly good size. Should be able to handle most chicken fine. Still smash bones until the little teeth can handle them. :)

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
He unfortunately got diagnosed with parvo- the not eating was from that :( he's at the vet right now recovering and is doing very well. He will hopefully be home today or tomorrow, once he starts eating. Will be starting him on raw very soon depending on what the vet says (since he's so young). I'm 100% positive I saved his boy. The vet said that if he hasn't made it to the vet the day after I bought him, he would likely be dead (especially since all the puppies are sold- can't get the seller to answer my calls...) as the seller/potential buyers probably wouldn't bring him to the vet, let alone treat him for parvo, as the treatment is INCREDIBLY expensive... Our bill is at $3,636 after only 4 days and he never even got all that sick besides one bout of bloody diahrrea

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
He is a champagne red nose pitbull- 4 lbs 2 days after we got him, after he started getting diahrrea and vomiting. He was 5lbs the day we got him. Dad was roughly 35-40 lbs

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
He's skin and bones now since he's been fighting both the parvo and he had roundworms. He will bounce back quickly bough since he's so young. Jut lots of TLC to come

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
2a2stg.jpg

14ugd1k.png

24ow1n6.jpg

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

He unfortunately got diagnosed with parvo- the not eating was from that :( he's at the vet right now recovering and is doing very well. He will hopefully be home today or tomorrow, once he starts eating. Will be starting him on raw very soon depending on what the vet says (since he's so young). I'm 100% positive I saved his boy. The vet said that if he hasn't made it to the vet the day after I bought him, he would likely be dead (especially since all the puppies are sold- can't get the seller to answer my calls...) as the seller/potential buyers probably wouldn't bring him to the vet, let alone treat him for parvo, as the treatment is INCREDIBLY expensive... Our bill is at $3,636 after only 4 days and he never even got all that sick besides one bout of bloody diahrrea

Unless your vet is a holistic one, they are going to likely say no to raw. As far as his age, he's fine to be on it. Lots of litters are weaned on raw when they are bred by raw feeding breeders, so four weeks isn't too young. One of mine was closer to three weeks when I got her (unknowingly), and I put her on raw as soon as she got home. Just do go slow with yours, considering just recovering from parvo. His immune system is going to need to be built back, since it's not 100% right now.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

He's SOOOO cute!!!! I just saw your pictures!!

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Yeah he's so absolutely precious and adorable. He's such a feisty pup too- the vet said he "got his voice" yesterday and was "attempting" to growl and bark at the vet techs when they walked past him lol! I'm going to have my hands full when he's older!!!! (I see him being a great raw candidate, though ;)
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I think his feistiness is why he recovered so quickly from the parvo- vet said she's never seen such a mild case. Which is good because I was a nervous wreck once he got diagnosed- last night after the vet said he's going to be okay and is doing great was the first night I actually slept the night through :(

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Just don't be surprised if the vet thinks raw is a bad thing....

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Oh I know. I've gotten word of a holistic vet in the next town over, I plan on bringing Mya there to establish a relationship with a raw friendly vet. The vet we are at now seems very open minded so I'll at least bring it up and see what happens. She's phenomenal too, so I'd be really disappointed if we couldn't stick with her if she isn't open minded to a raw fed pup family

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

First of all, good on you for taking on this pup. Second of all - OMG - why did you have to post those pictures?!? Nothing cuter than a pit puppy.

Can't offer any advice on raw feeding something so small.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

HE'S HOME!!!!!!! (and currently passed out on my chest) poor guy wouldn't stop wagging his tail and licking me when I picked him up  ^_^ He does have a mild URI from the parvo suppressing his immune system. Now i'm overly paranoid that it's something bad :(

1eb5tv.jpg

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Awwww, so sweet! What did the vet say about the URI?

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
He said its to be expected- he's super phlemy though and when we coughs a lot he spits up his food. So may be bringing him in tomorrow for a check up just to be sure he's okay, I don't want him getting dehydrated again. Poor guy can't catch a break

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Rough start in life, but it really seems like he's found the right human. Speaks volumes about you.

I'm getting puppy fever, just look at those little blue eyes and fluffy coat, major soft spot for pitties here.

Have you started on a raw diet or are you giving him time to heal?

• Iorveth likes this

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Due to his super young age and the fact that he's still pretty sick I think I'm going to hold off. Once he's vaccinated I think we will transition him onto raw :) he's sleeping on my stomach right now. He is seriously the most precious little creature I've ever seen. He's a fighter, so I know he will make a full rebound from this!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Due to his super young age and the fact that he's still pretty sick I think I'm going to hold off. Once he's vaccinated I think we will transition him onto raw :) he's sleeping on my stomach right now. He is seriously the most precious little creature I've ever seen. He's a fighter, so I know he will make a full rebound from this!

probably a good choice to let the poor thing heal up before introducing anything new. We learned that the hard way with our pup. Keep us posted :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO