Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

4 Week Old Puppy- Sos

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Well day 2 of being home and he's having trouble keeping anything down since he's so mucousy. He seems to regurgitate whatever I give him :( The vet gave him a shot for nausea about an hour ago, so that should have just kicked in. Hopefully this will keep him from vomiting or else he will have to be hospitalized for the second time... My wallet is dead

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Poor thing! I hope he gets well soon!

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

He's very interested in drinking goats milk (he goes CRAZY over this stuff- very funny to watch) and water- even tried suckling Mya  :startle: I think it's safe to say that she doesn't know the first thing about being a mom, the look on her face was PRICELESS  :lol: Tried feeding him soft food yesterday and he spit it up, just tried again 15 minutes ago. Now time to see if he will keep food down, fingers crossed!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Maybe you should try some raw chicken on the pup, single protein. Maybe there's something in the current food that's not playing nice with his system.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

He's very interested in drinking goats milk (he goes CRAZY over this stuff- very funny to watch) and water- even tried suckling Mya  :startle: I think it's safe to say that she doesn't know the first thing about being a mom, the look on her face was PRICELESS  :lol: Tried feeding him soft food yesterday and he spit it up, just tried again 15 minutes ago. Now time to see if he will keep food down, fingers crossed!

What kind of soft food is he eating at the moment?

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

He is on Blue Buffalo canned puppy food and esbilac goats milk replacer. He kept food down ALL day yesterday and today!! And has nice big poops :) They're kind of soft, but with the food he's on, that's to be expected. Now to just figure out how to get him to stop howling all night :( I got maybe an hour of sleep last night

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

He is on Blue Buffalo canned puppy food and esbilac goats milk replacer. He kept food down ALL day yesterday and today!! And has nice big poops :) They're kind of soft, but with the food he's on, that's to be expected. Now to just figure out how to get him to stop howling all night :( I got maybe an hour of sleep last night

That's some good news anyway, hopefully he's on the path to healthy again.

Whats the sleeping arrangements for him to be up howling all night?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I would smash some chicken necks now and get off the Blue and milk replacer. The bone in the chicken will firm up poops. 

Almost all of the puppies I have ever had have howled and barked and carried on at night. Are you using a crate of any kind? I have used an extra blanket and covererd the whole crate except for the door opening. That makes it dark and den like, and seems to sooth puppies. Other than that I just leave them be at night, and eventually they get the routine and are used to their new home and all the crying will stop. But the blanket over the crate seems to make a big difference.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

He was in a large crate in our living room to sleep in, we moved him next to our bed last night. I think he's howling because he's hungry, as last night when we moved him into our room he went crazy trying to suckle my arm... Very strange considering he ate a ton yesterday. He seems to be asking for a meal every hour. I researched that puppies this age should be just fine being fed every 4 hours  :phew:  I think we just have a little porker who is trying to recover from losing weight from the parvo. So i'm going to try feeding him 2x at night for a week or two, and after that i'm definitely leaving him alone all night, crying or not. Everything is staying down (and coming out) perfectly. He has even filled out behind his ribs :)

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
Sounds like he's on the road to health. Feeding him before bed may not be a bad idea, we still give our pup something to tie him over.

I wonder if giving the pup a raw bone with some meat on it would keep him busy for a while? It would have to be a bone that he can't eat or swallow, just something to work on.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

He was in a large crate in our living room to sleep in, we moved him next to our bed last night. I think he's howling because he's hungry, as last night when we moved him into our room he went crazy trying to suckle my arm... Very strange considering he ate a ton yesterday. He seems to be asking for a meal every hour. I researched that puppies this age should be just fine being fed every 4 hours  :phew:  I think we just have a little porker who is trying to recover from losing weight from the parvo. So i'm going to try feeding him 2x at night for a week or two, and after that i'm definitely leaving him alone all night, crying or not. Everything is staying down (and coming out) perfectly. He has even filled out behind his ribs :)

Rodeo was suckling on us as well, she was so young. Between  keeping her crate covered with a blanket at night, and smashing chicken necks in the beginning, she settled down fine real quick.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

The bone might not be a bad idea- he's VERY mouthy haha! and he slept better last night- just fed him a bigger meal before bed. Still have to get up 4 hours later, but that's a huge improvement when compared to every hour  :thumbsu:

• naturalfeddogs and jagger like this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

So how's the pup doing?

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Oh, he's adorable! And I'm so glad to hear he's recovering. 

When Buck came home, I was amazed at how loud an 8 week old puppy can bellow when it's got a set of baby hound lungs. Buck was the most stubborn puppy I ever had and I did suffer with him in the bedroom for a while before we moved his crate to the spare room. We immediately kept Iorveth away from us from the first night. His crate was kept in the living room and we used the blanket trick. He's just a better dog all around (I'm a little biased because he's my heart dog), but he really settled down much more quickly than Buck did. 

I think keeping them in another room in the beginning is best because they don't have the sounds of other people and animals shifting around in their sleep to wake them up. Buck would wake up and start bawling every time my husband or I turned over in bed or our Collie got up to get more comfortable. Once they are housebroken we do let our dogs sleep loose in the bedroom with us.

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

He's doing great- he's gained over a pound since being home for almost 2 weeks. Still howls all night  :sleep:  Last night I really just gave up and let him howl and howl- he eventually quoted down after like 45 minutes. I've cut out the 5am feeding and moved it to around 8 am. His last meal of the night is around 12-1 am when we go to bed, and I need to start sleeping a whole night through, so he needs to get used to not eating until we wake up. He cried at 5 am this morning but then went back to sleep for a bit until I woke up at 8. I think he will probably do that for a couple days until he understands he is on our schedule now (he's 6 weeks old now, time to stop being bratty, lol!) 

He still had no bladder control since he's so young, and i'm tired of cleaning up messes every 5 minutes, so he's in an x-pen while I'm doing homework/cleaning etc. He's still out for a majority of the day obviously. But I was letting him wander around my general area before, because he would just howl in the x-pen... I'm not tolerating that anymore and I'm toughing out listening to him complain now until he learns that being quiet is what I want.

I haven't owned a puppy in quite a few years. I'm remembering now just how irritating they can be at times  :lol:  He's lucky he's cute!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

He still had no bladder control since he's so young, and i'm tired of cleaning up messes every 5 minutes, so he's in an x-pen while I'm doing homework/cleaning etc. He's still out for a majority of the day obviously. But I was letting him wander around my general area before, because he would just howl in the x-pen... I'm not tolerating that anymore and I'm toughing out listening to him complain now until he learns that being quiet is what I want.

I haven't owned a puppy in quite a few years. I'm remembering now just how irritating they can be at times  :lol:  He's lucky he's cute!

I did that when we had puppies. I bought a tarp (our house was ALL carpet except for our tiny kitchen and our tiny bathroom) and an x-pen and set the pen up with the tarp underneath it. Buck, of course, insisted on howling the whole time at first, but it really helped with teaching him "off" since he required constant correcting as he tried to climb out. Iorveth was more tolerant of it, but he didn't like being in there either. It really did seriously help me get stuff done while not keeping them in a crate or letting them pee in the house while we were working on housebreaking. 

I put the bed, the little airline crate, a bowl of water, and some toys in there with them so they had everything they needed while I got an hour or two of things done around the house. It saved my carpet and my sanity. Iorveth was a nightmare for the first two weeks at home (he was the puppy who NEVER napped). Total hellion. Buck needed a break too. He was around 1.5 years old when we brought Iorveth home and, while he loves Iorveth, he handled Iorveth's constant hell raising about as well as I did!

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
He's getting SO big!!!
Here's a timeline picture; top left is the day we got him (3 weeks old), the left middle is roughly 4-5 weeks old, the bottom left is about 5-6 weeks old, and the right picture is at 7 weeks old

2ir3jb4.jpg

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Everyone is getting along amazingly! Almost had to re-home the cat because he was getting unbelievably nasty with Keno- he would claw him and tackle him from a full run and clamp onto his face :( but now they're a lot better and run around and play together (although I still have to keep an eye on them- the cat will get bad every now and then)

I have to say... I was worried about my other dog being mean with a new puppy, not the cat! It was the opposite of what I thought was going to happen, since Mya has taken the puppy amazingly well

143n6s2.jpg

meghan&mya

meghan&mya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Little fatty jumped in the shipping box when I opened it- he must've been able to smell the food and he was trying to dig his way into the food bag lol! We bought him a huge bag of puppy food- the vet said no raw until he's at least a year since he was so sick at such a young age- she's worried about it possibly messing up his growth a bit since he got so skinny and it took us a few weeks to get him to where he should be.

k3sqgx.jpg

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Getting so big and so cute!!!  :)

However, I disagree with the vet's advice completely. Since you have the bag of food you have now, I would go ahead and feed it, but then go on and put him on raw after that. A vet will advise against raw at every chance they get. Wait a year, and the vet will still say "not yet", and you will be missing out on whole, real food nutrients his body will use more effeciantly than kibble. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO