Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Newbie"researching Pmr"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi, New here. I have a 1 year old Male American Staffordshire Terrier, He has the worst allergies. He has Food and Environmental allergies. He's allergic to Chicken, Turkey, etc... I wanna know what I can start him off on. Also, we live in Hawaii where not a lot of variety of meats are found here. Any help possible would be much appreciated!!! We had the allergy Blood test done, thats how we found of the food and environmental allergies he had. He also gets hives, ear infections. And not to mention he is allergic to flies, roaches, fleas. Pour guy! HELP! Thank u!!!!

• OctavioMype likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! I assume you are feeding kibble at the moment? If so, there is a difference between cooked proteins and raw. It's possible that in raw form those may not be an issue. You could try him and see on raw chicken if you want, I would go with chicken quarters at first if you do. I would also remove skin and fat at first, and look at the sodium content as well. At least 75 mg or less if you can find it. If after a couple of weeks or so, and there is no improvement you could skip turkey and just move on to pork. Some dogs have some issues with pork, but I haven't ever had one to be, so I recommend trying it, if the chicken doesn't go well. 

I guess I have been lucky, in that I haven't ever had a dog with any protein issues to worry about! 

• Kananigurl564 likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

What meats are available to you that he is not allergic to? Start with one of them. No point in worrying about transitioning through meats he can't eat or you can't find. Good luck! :)

ETA: Do try to get at least three different types of meat/protein. You may even be able to raise some, Japanese quail and/or rabbits, and just buy/hunt red meats.

• Spy Car and Kananigurl564 like this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

First of all, read up on the RAST and ELISA tests, they can generate alot of false positives. I have a hard time believing a dog can be that allergic unless there's something underlying causing it.

What are you currently feeding for kibble? 

Raw feeding would be a good place to start - but bear in mind that it may not be the magic bullet you want. Definitely find a protein that is not on the current list of allergies and try to start there.

Considering everything - and all the different vets - we've been through with this pup in the last few years... If I were to ever get another dog, I'd have complete blood tests done inclusive of T4, T3 and TSH just to have a baseline moving forward.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

At least you will be able to control the food (protein source). When tested commercial kibbles invariably contain proteins that differ from the labeling information (which is almost never accurate).

Bill

• naturalfeddogs and Kananigurl564 like this

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Welcome! I assume you are feeding kibble at the moment? If so, there is a difference between cooked proteins and raw. It's possible that in raw form those may not be an issue. You could try him and see on raw chicken if you want, I would go with chicken quarters at first if you do. I would also remove skin and fat at first, and look at the sodium content as well. At least 75 mg or less if you can find it. If after a couple of weeks or so, and there is no improvement you could skip turkey and just move on to pork. Some dogs have some issues with pork, but I haven't ever had one to be, so I recommend trying it, if the chicken doesn't go well. 

I guess I have been lucky, in that I haven't ever had a dog with any protein issues to worry about! 

Thank you! Hi, Yes he is on Kibble. He was on Kirkland brand Turkey. And after the allergies started, I found Canidae at Petco. That was the only dog food I could find locally without the ingredients he was allergic too. And still after months of being on that food, he's still getting ear infections, and skin issues. Not nearly as bad as to getting hives now days. I will definitely try the chicken first, its the most easy thing I can get here. Does it matter if its organic or not? And is Costco beef ok? Sorry, I'm not sure exactly if I should be buying his meats from a grocery store, or someplace like a Asian market we have here.  Thank u! Sorry for babbling.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

First of all, read up on the RAST and ELISA tests, they can generate alot of false positives. I have a hard time believing a dog can be that allergic unless there's something underlying causing it.

What are you currently feeding for kibble? 

Raw feeding would be a good place to start - but bear in mind that it may not be the magic bullet you want. Definitely find a protein that is not on the current list of allergies and try to start there.

Considering everything - and all the different vets - we've been through with this pup in the last few years... If I were to ever get another dog, I'd have complete blood tests done inclusive of T4, T3 and TSH just to have a baseline moving forward.

Hello, Yes he is on Kibble. Canidae from Petco. Thank you, Ive heard if the dog is under stress that it can affect the blood tests. I'm not looking for a magic bullet, jus really wanna help him and willing to put in the work to help my dog. We can't afford bringing our dog to the vet every month just for them to bill us for every little test. I feel where your coming from with wanting blood test with your next pup. I'm gonna adopt on our next one lol! Thanks for your feed back!!!!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Thank you! Hi, Yes he is on Kibble. He was on Kirkland brand Turkey. And after the allergies started, I found Canidae at Petco. That was the only dog food I could find locally without the ingredients he was allergic too. And still after months of being on that food, he's still getting ear infections, and skin issues. Not nearly as bad as to getting hives now days. I will definitely try the chicken first, its the most easy thing I can get here. Does it matter if its organic or not? And is Costco beef ok? Sorry, I'm not sure exactly if I should be buying his meats from a grocery store, or someplace like a Asian market we have here.  Thank u! Sorry for babbling.

If he's still having ear infections, it could still be some other ingredient, maybe yeast that's causing it. It doesn't matter if it's organic, that's not going to change the nutrition of the chicken. My guess, is that being organic means they were fed a diet of free range pasture, and food that had no pesticides used growing and making the ingredients. I haven't ever fed organic to us or the dogs, because they are so much more expensive. 

Grocery store meats are fine, that's what I buy. I stock up on the sale meats that are at their experation dates. Asian markets are a great place to shop, because sometimes you can find some different, odd stuff there. I wish we had some of those close by, but we don't.

If ever you get the chance to get any fresh scraps from butchers, get them. I don't know what kind of hunting seasons you have there, but let hunters know that you want any leftover scraps from deer, or maybe even duck too. 

• Caniches and Kananigurl564 like this

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

If he's still having ear infections, it could still be some other ingredient, maybe yeast that's causing it. It doesn't matter if it's organic, that's not going to change the nutrition of the chicken. My guess, is that being organic means they were fed a diet of free range pasture, and food that had no pesticides used growing and making the ingredients. I haven't ever fed organic to us or the dogs, because they are so much more expensive. 

Grocery store meats are fine, that's what I buy. I stock up on the sale meats that are at their experation dates. Asian markets are a great place to shop, because sometimes you can find some different, odd stuff there. I wish we had some of those close by, but we don't.

If ever you get the chance to get any fresh scraps from butchers, get them. I don't know what kind of hunting seasons you have there, but let hunters know that you want any leftover scraps from deer, or maybe even duck too. 

Thank u! On Oahu we don't have any hunting, sadly no duck or deer. I will check if the asian market has duck. Sometimes if you get lucky, someone goes to the other islands, which does have deer. Mahalo!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Thank u! On Oahu we don't have any hunting, sadly no duck or deer. I will check if the asian market has duck. Sometimes if you get lucky, someone goes to the other islands, which does have deer. Mahalo!

The price you pay to live in paradise! LOL!

• Iorveth and Kananigurl564 like this

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Yes very true lol! 

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

HI, sorry to bother you again. I could only find chicken legs with thighs attached. Would this be ok to start with instead of chicken backs?

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

HI, sorry to bother you again. I could only find chicken legs with thighs attached. Would this be ok to start with instead of chicken backs?

Those are fine

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Much better in fact. Backs are far too boney and best avoided unless balanced by A LOT of boneless meat.

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Those are quarters, and yes they are fine. I have used them as starters plenty. 

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Thanks everyone!!! Wish me luck! Starting my Boy out today! 

• naturalfeddogs, Spy Car and BoxerMum like this

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi, Sorry to bother you. Im not sure if I'm doing something wrong. So from this Mon, Ive been giving my boy 1 chicken quarter a day. Should I be weighing his food to that 2-3% starting now? Or when I start adding other meats and organs? Please help, He's got loos stool still, I'm kinda panicking.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I have never weighed anything. Are you removing skin? If not, try that. Also, look for the lowest sodium level, usually 75 mg or less per serving  is ideal. If after a couple of days and you are still having loose stools youay want to add a drumstick for some more bone. 

I haven't looked back through all the posts, but how big is your dog? I don't remember and my phone is difficult to navigate with.

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I have never weighed anything. Are you removing skin? If not, try that. Also, look for the lowest sodium level, usually 75 mg or less per serving  is ideal. If after a couple of days and you are still having loose stools youay want to add a drumstick for some more bone. 

I haven't looked back through all the posts, but how big is your dog? I don't remember and my phone is difficult to navigate with.

Sorry. He is 60lbs

And no I didn't take off the skin. I will try that. I'm going to one of our asian markets soon to look for chicken backs. THANK U!!!

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Sorry. He is 60lbs

And no I didn't take off the skin. I will try that. I'm going to one of our asian markets soon to look for chicken backs. THANK U!!!

My advice is DO NOT up the percentage of bone. Too many downsides.

Do strip the skin (for now) as dogs need to get used to a high fat diet. There are all sorts of changes that need to take place from pancreatic enzymes to mitochondrial changes at the cellular level.

Fat is vital for raw fed dogs/ It is the best energy source. But ease it in. Allow the body to adjust slowly. This addresses the root of the issue. Adding more bone causes more intestinal distress and doesn't get to the real issue.

Also make sure the chicken isn't "enhanced"  (injected with sodium). It should not be above 75 mgs.

Don't feed backs without a lot of boneless meat to compensate.

Bill

• TRDmom and Kananigurl564 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO