Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Newbie"researching Pmr"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

My advice is DO NOT up the percentage of bone. Too many downsides.

Do strip the skin (for now) as dogs need to get used to a high fat diet. There are all sorts of changes that need to take place from pancreatic enzymes to mitochondrial changes at the cellular level.

Fat is vital for raw fed dogs/ It is the best energy source. But ease it in. Allow the body to adjust slowly. This addresses the root of the issue. Adding more bone causes more intestinal distress and doesn't get to the real issue.

Also make sure the chicken isn't "enhanced"  (injected with sodium). It should not be above 75 mgs.

Don't feed backs without a lot of boneless meat to compensate.

Bill

Hi, so my boy has been on chicken quarters for a week, I removed skin and added some chicken feet and his stool became a lot more firm. Then i gave him chicken gizzards, and chicken feet for his next meal, Now his poo is liquid again. HELP! Sorry idk what im doing wrong. Unless he really is allergic to chicken like his blood test says. Thank you for all ur help!!!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Back off the gizzards for now, and go back to the chicken just like you were feeding. There is no rush for the organs just yet. Let poops stay firm on chicken for a solid week, then move on to the next protein. But just chicken for now. Its easy to move too fast too soon. 

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Back off the gizzards for now, and go back to the chicken just like you were feeding. There is no rush for the organs just yet. Let poops stay firm on chicken for a solid week, then move on to the next protein. But just chicken for now. Its easy to move too fast too soon. 

ohhhh ok. So just the 1 chicken quarter no skin is enough nutrients for him for now? He lost some weight and his rib cage is showing a lot more.... Thank u!!!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

One for now is fine. You will slowly add the fat back on as poops stay firm. You won't be feeding chicken but a week or maybe two at the most before moving on to the next protein, so you are fine. This is the beauty of prey model- being able to know just when a problem shows up, and just back up a step, slow down and correct.

Losing a little weight is normal in the beginning. It will gain back when you start feeding more red meats. 

• Kananigurl564 likes this

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

One for now is fine. You will slowly add the fat back on as poops stay firm. You won't be feeding chicken but a week or maybe two at the most before moving on to the next protein, so you are fine. This is the beauty of prey model- being able to know just when a problem shows up, and just back up a step, slow down and correct.

Losing a little weight is normal in the beginning. It will gain back when you start feeding more red meats. 

Trial and error lol! Thank you so much for ur fast response and HELP. I really appropriate it. Will be back for questions again soon..LOL! Sorry!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Sometimes trial and error is how you figure out what you dog can and can't handle. All dogs are different!

Don't be sorry for asking questions! It's part of how you are going to learn!

• TRDmom and Kananigurl564 like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Sorry. He is 60lbs

And no I didn't take off the skin. I will try that. I'm going to one of our asian markets soon to look for chicken backs. THANK U!!!

At the Asian market, I would be more interested in finding items like duck, quail and frog. They may also have a selection of fish to choose from.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Hi, so my boy has been on chicken quarters for a week, I removed skin and added some chicken feet and his stool became a lot more firm. Then i gave him chicken gizzards, and chicken feet for his next meal, Now his poo is liquid again. HELP! Sorry idk what im doing wrong. Unless he really is allergic to chicken like his blood test says. Thank you for all ur help!!!!

I would not make big changes, like going from meals of quarters to meals of gizzards and feet. If you want to fed a gizzard add one (or a half of one) to a meal of quarters. Same with chicken liver, except in even smaller pieces. For now I'd just get the digestion really stable. Sounds like you have a very sensitive dog, so go slow and add things incrementally.

Bill

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Sometimes trial and error is how you figure out what you dog can and can't handle. All dogs are different!

Don't be sorry for asking questions! It's part of how you are going to learn!

Thank you! I jus dont want him to be in any pain. So after this next week of Chicken, if he still has soft stool... Is it safe to say he may be allergic to chicken?

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

At the Asian market, I would be more interested in finding items like duck, quail and frog. They may also have a selection of fish to choose from.

Thank u! I know they have Frog, I'm pretty sure no quail. Probably duck but not sure on that either.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Thank you! I jus dont want him to be in any pain. So after this next week of Chicken, if he still has soft stool... Is it safe to say he may be allergic to chicken?

I would say it could in that case be more of an intolerance rather than true allergy. I would give it at least two weeks of chicken, and as long as you aren't over feeding, and it still persists, then try moving on to turkey. But give chicken some more time.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
How soft is "soft"? Does it hold a shape? Is it liquid diarrhoea? Chicken can cause soft and/or yellowish stool (and be considered normal). Personally, I'd rather stool be somewhat soft than hard. I'm sure your dog wouldn't want to drop a pile of rocks. Constipation isn't fun.

As Bill said, kibble-fed dogs have to adjust to the meat-based diet on a cellular level. There are changes going on inside the body we can't see. Some dogs appear fine, others display outward symptoms.

Since you are concerned, I'd stick with just chicken quarters for a few more days and see how that goes. Allergic reaction would likely cause severe symptoms like watery diarrhoea, vomiting (entire stomach contents and bile), itching, lethargy, and refusal to eat. If his stool is only soft, but maintaining some shape, I *personally* wouldn't be too concerned (with one of my own).

Good luck!
  • Spy Car and Kananigurl564 like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
Also, your dog may need more than one chicken quarter per day. One of my dogs needed more calories in the hot months, even if he wasn't very active. You might want to add another quarter (in a separate meal) every other day. Or a couple chicken necks per day, if you can find them.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I agree with staying with chicken for a few more days as well. It's true the soft poops could just be the way they are going to be with chicken. None of mine ever had, but I know some are just that way on it. Once transitioned through all of the proteins, if you want you could just stay away from chicken, if it keeps on and bothers you. There are lots of other proteins out there to feed. It could be just a little bit of an intolerance, but not a huge deal. 

If you want to increase the amount of chicken fed each day and poops are staying soft, you can break it up into two meals. One in the am, one in the pm. One of ours, Shadow can eat two quarters at a time in a meal and he's fine. But any more is too much and it will be cannon butt every time for him. So, if we have any extras left over, I will break it up into two meals. He's never had a problem since doing that. So, it's just something to think about in the midst of deciding what may be too much. That way, maybe it will help keep poops from going from soft to explosive if you need to add another quarter in the meal. 

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi, its kind liquidy and then sometime soft firm... but yes yellowish... He seems totally fine, jus got skinny since starting. Thank u!!!

How soft is "soft"? Does it hold a shape? Is it liquid diarrhoea? Chicken can cause soft and/or yellowish stool (and be considered normal). Personally, I'd rather stool be somewhat soft than hard. I'm sure your dog wouldn't want to drop a pile of rocks. Constipation isn't fun.

As Bill said, kibble-fed dogs have to adjust to the meat-based diet on a cellular level. There are changes going on inside the body we can't see. Some dogs appear fine, others display outward symptoms.

Since you are concerned, I'd stick with just chicken quarters for a few more days and see how that goes. Allergic reaction would likely cause severe symptoms like watery diarrhoea, vomiting (entire stomach contents and bile), itching, lethargy, and refusal to eat. If his stool is only soft, but maintaining some shape, I *personally* wouldn't be too concerned (with one of my own).

Good luck!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

The yellow color just comes from the chicken. You may have a chicken intolerance. Give it about a week, if there's no change move on to the next protein. 

If you want, you can try to add a drumstick to each meal to increase bone. If no change, then just move on to the next protein.

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I agree with staying with chicken for a few more days as well. It's true the soft poops could just be the way they are going to be with chicken. None of mine ever had, but I know some are just that way on it. Once transitioned through all of the proteins, if you want you could just stay away from chicken, if it keeps on and bothers you. There are lots of other proteins out there to feed. It could be just a little bit of an intolerance, but not a huge deal. 

If you want to increase the amount of chicken fed each day and poops are staying soft, you can break it up into two meals. One in the am, one in the pm. One of ours, Shadow can eat two quarters at a time in a meal and he's fine. But any more is too much and it will be cannon butt every time for him. So, if we have any extras left over, I will break it up into two meals. He's never had a problem since doing that. So, it's just something to think about in the midst of deciding what may be too much. That way, maybe it will help keep poops from going from soft to explosive if you need to add another quarter in the meal. 

Ive been added a couple chicken feet to his meals... And it seems to be helping, but his poop is not consistant yet. But I will try the 2 Skinless Chicken quarters from today and see how that goes, he still seems hungry after the 1, so giving him 2 may help. Thank u all!!!

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Ive been added a couple chicken feet to his meals... And it seems to be helping, but his poop is not consistant yet. But I will try the 2 Skinless Chicken quarters from today and see how that goes, he still seems hungry after the 1, so giving him 2 may help. Thank u all!!!

what type of Turkey can I give him when I switch it? I could only find Ground Turkey here, Turkey tails... Thats it. Well and a WHOLE turkey lol!

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

what type of Turkey can I give him when I switch it? I could only find Ground Turkey here, Turkey tails... Thats it. Well and a WHOLE turkey lol!

Personally, I would add a new protein to a chicken base and not switch, so long as your dog is tolerating the chicken well.

Turkey in my neck of the woods is an almost impossible choice. It is almost all ground or "enhanced" with too much sodium. I almost never feed Turkey, and don't believe in any magical progressions. I'd make the next protein something you can get easily and economically, be it beef, pork, lamb, or poultry.

Just go slow introducing the new food. I'd get chicken 100% stable first (that means working up to full fat/skin) prior to proceeding.

Bill

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Personally, I would add a new protein to a chicken base and not switch, so long as your dog is tolerating the chicken well.

Turkey in my neck of the woods is an almost impossible choice. It is almost all ground or "enhanced" with too much sodium. I almost never feed Turkey, and don't believe in any magical progressions. I'd make the next protein something you can get easily and economically, be it beef, pork, lamb, or poultry.

Just go slow introducing the new food. I'd get chicken 100% stable first (that means working up to full fat/skin) prior to proceeding.

Bill

Wow. So before I can start feeding, organs etc... He has to be having the full on firm stool? I will try pork first since beef is a little more harsh on them... What kind of Pork cuts should i be using? Should I be adding some kind of supplements? I dont want him to be deprived of nutrients for too long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO