Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Newbie"researching Pmr"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

His poop after eating dinner last night was runny, but when it dries its crusty. Idk if that matters. But there are times that its dark brown and mucus like...  

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

boneless

It may have been not enough bone in the feet alone. You can try bone in breasts. It sounds like are just needing to balance the bone/boneless a little more.

• Kananigurl564 likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

His poop after eating dinner last night was runny, but when it dries its crusty. Idk if that matters. But there are times that its dark brown and mucus like...  

How runny is "runny"? And by crusty, do you mean white? If so, that's normal after bone in a meal. 

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

A chicken quarter, 3 chicken feet, and some boneless breast meat should be plenty of bone (I'd suspect way over 10% depending on how much boneless breast meat was included).

Do check the sodium content (as Jenny suggested earlier).

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

I'm on my phone, which can be difficult to navigate, and somehow I missed the quarter being in the meal as well. Could have been too much at one sitting, maybe split it up into two meals. A quarter at one, then try the breast with the feet as bone for the next meal. That may help.

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I'm on my phone, which can be difficult to navigate, and somehow I missed the quarter being in the meal as well. Could have been too much at one sitting, maybe split it up into two meals. A quarter at one, then try the breast with the feet as bone for the next meal. That may help.

okay I see... thank u guys!!! Today I'm gonna try and buy some beef hearts, if they have it. Thank u!!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

We used to feed lots of beef heart because we could get it from the commissary for less than $1/lb. If it's trimmed for human consumption, it won't have that nice cap of fat on it and it will be really lean so, if you plan to feed it continuously, you'll have to find fat from somewhere else to make up for the leanness of the beef heart. The fat you're trimming from things and saving up right now will be a good thing to add to those beef heart meals. 

I don't know if you've done this, but you could ask the meat section of your grocery store if they will do special orders. Our grocery store keeps a 30 lb case of turkey necks for us in the freezer. When we pick one up, they just go ahead and order another since we go in every couple of weeks for it. I can't even remember the last time we had to request it. We have made friends with the meat department. :)

Our bone in meals are pretty much always turkey necks because it's cheap and we have regular access to it. We feed mostly red meats for the boneless and we do a decent amount of ground since, again, it's affordable and it's what we have easy access to. Our guys have clean teeth and strong jaws/head muscles/necks from their frozen turkey necks so I never feel like they're missing out with ground. 

We also feed canned sardines when we can't get our hands on whole mackerel. If you can find the tins with no salt, that's the one you want. It's just the fish in water. They aren't as easy to find as the ones with hot sauce and olive oil or whatever, but they are out there. We stock up on whole mackerel when crab season rolls around. We use turkey necks, but a lot of people like using mackerel for bait for crab pots.

• naturalfeddogs, Spy Car and Kananigurl564 like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

We used to feed lots of beef heart because we could get it from the commissary for less than $1/lb. If it's trimmed for human consumption, it won't have that nice cap of fat on it and it will be really lean so, if you plan to feed it continuously, you'll have to find fat from somewhere else to make up for the leanness of the beef heart. The fat you're trimming from things and saving up right now will be a good thing to add to those beef heart meals. 

I don't know if you've done this, but you could ask the meat section of your grocery store if they will do special orders. Our grocery store keeps a 30 lb case of turkey necks for us in the freezer. When we pick one up, they just go ahead and order another since we go in every couple of weeks for it. I can't even remember the last time we had to request it. We have made friends with the meat department. :)

Our bone in meals are pretty much always turkey necks because it's cheap and we have regular access to it. We feed mostly red meats for the boneless and we do a decent amount of ground since, again, it's affordable and it's what we have easy access to. Our guys have clean teeth and strong jaws/head muscles/necks from their frozen turkey necks so I never feel like they're missing out with ground. 

We also feed canned sardines when we can't get our hands on whole mackerel. If you can find the tins with no salt, that's the one you want. It's just the fish in water. They aren't as easy to find as the ones with hot sauce and olive oil or whatever, but they are out there. We stock up on whole mackerel when crab season rolls around. We use turkey necks, but a lot of people like using mackerel for bait for crab pots.

We also have a store that orders cases of turkey necks, chicken feet and chicken hearts for us as well.  Turkey necks (and thighs) are the only bone in turkey I feel comfortable feeding to our dogs, since other turkey bones are a little too dense for them. 

• Iorveth and Kananigurl564 like this

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Thank u for all ur help! I;m skipping Turkey, becuz all I can get it ground Turkey here. He's actually doing well with the beef hearts, as for the fat on it... can I assume its white? The cut I got was dark red in color. He's doing well with it added to his meals... after a couple days his stool is firm now. I actually found some green tripe in 1oz. pattys from a place call RAW DOG HAWAII, there a company that makes all raw dog blends. 

• naturalfeddogs and TRDmom like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

Yes, the white at the top is fat. 

Kananigurl564

Kananigurl564

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Yes, the white at the top is fat. 

Thanks. The cut I bought must have not had any fat, because there was no white on the top.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Thanks. The cut I bought must have not had any fat, because there was no white on the top.

Supermarket beef heart is generally trimmed of all fat vs a whole heart that has a nice fat cap. As Iorveth and I both mentioned up thread, if trimmed beef heart is a substantial part of the diet you will probably want to supplement with additional fat in the medium term. But at the transition point, the lean meat might help as your dog is getting used to metabolizing fat.

Introduce slowly along with bone-in chicken pieces.

Bill

• Iorveth and Kananigurl564 like this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

We also have a store that orders cases of turkey necks, chicken feet and chicken hearts for us as well.  Turkey necks (and thighs) are the only bone in turkey I feel comfortable feeding to our dogs, since other turkey bones are a little too dense for them. 

We keep meaning to ask, but I'm pretty sure they would order other stuff for us too. I think this was the place that can and will order a hog's head. I haven't done any heads because I have nowhere to keep one from an animal that size until I was ready to feed it. I need to see if they'll order some beef heart or something for us. Or chicken feet. Iorveth's never had one and Buck's a garbage can and loves everything but kidneys. I just keep forgetting!

Thank u for all ur help! I;m skipping Turkey, becuz all I can get it ground Turkey here. He's actually doing well with the beef hearts, as for the fat on it... can I assume its white? The cut I got was dark red in color. He's doing well with it added to his meals... after a couple days his stool is firm now. I actually found some green tripe in 1oz. pattys from a place call RAW DOG HAWAII, there a company that makes all raw dog blends. 

I only mentioned turkey again because that's what we order in bulk. The place we order from is just our local grocery store. Nothing fancy. You might be able to find one of your local stores who can order you bulk stuff. They're willing to go the extra mile for us in other matters too because we're those loyal customers they want to keep, you know? It's been pretty awesome. Once you figure out what proteins work best for him, you could order your staple meats in bulk if you find a store that will do that for you.

Yes, the fat on the hearts is very white. If you are buying heart meant for human consumption, it will have very little fat on it, if any at all. We used to feed tons of it and would still if our source still carried it. I'm glad to hear his poop's firming up! Having a dog with the runs is never fun. It happens to all of them just like it happens to people, but having the diet figured out goes a long way in making those bouts of the runs few and far between.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
If you haven't already, try contacting the beef and goat farms. Ask if they have anything that they don't use (eg excess fat, tripe, reproductive organs, head). I imagine they utilize all they can, but you don't know until you ask.

Here's a lead...

Joanna DeRego
Double D Ranch
PO Box 103
Laupahoehoe, HI 96764
808–937–3211
heartofpalmhawaii@live.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO