Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Can I Feed Woodchuck?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So the title says it all. I have a woodchuck roaming around my yard eating everything. Can I trap it and feed it to my dogs?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Is a woodchuck the same as a beaver? I can't remember on that. If so, I know some are food sites sell them. They are farmed I'm sure, but if I was offered any that had been trapped around here, I would geed them. If a woodchuck and beaver aren't the same, then I don't know.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Woodchuck is another term for groundhog. Groundhogs are rodents, like squirrels or guinea pigs, so assuming it hasn't ingested anything poisonous you should be fine feeding it. If the animal looks healthy on inspection after you trap it, it should be OK.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Oh!! Groundhog! Duh! lol! 

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok cool. Time to go buy a trap. I'm up to 4 dogs now so any way I can save some money.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I could be wrong, but in my memory woodchucks/groundhogs were a no-go due to disease risk.

My memory is dim. I could be wrong. But I'd investigate thoroughly before proceeding.

Bill

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

A Google search refreshed my memory. The biggest risk is that a woodchuck/groundhog might carry Baylisascaris procyonis also called Racoon roundworm nematodes.

I was living in a community when a young child ingested Baylisascaris procyonis and it destroyed his brain leaving him profoundly retarded and blind.

It is a very serious parasite. I'm risk averse and would not consider feeding raw woodchuck myself.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO