Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Raw And Extracted Teeth

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted on here! :D

Maximus is getting his bottom right canine extracted in a couple of weeks. Long story short, it broke over a year ago and we finally have the funds and time to get it removed. Does anyone have any experience with feeding raw and missing teeth? I guess what I'm specifically concerned about is when he gets bone-in meals...I know he doesn't chew with his front teeth but should I err on the cautious side and grind his bones for the recovery period? I don't really want to get a grinder, but the question did pop up since the recovery period can and will take weeks.

PS: He doesn't get 'big' bones. The only bone-in cuts he gets are turkey/duck necks, duck wings, pork spareribs, and chicken legs. He doesn't like the extra work involved with bigger cuts.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I know some dogs who have several teeth missing and do just fine. He may change his chewing style, so to speak, but he will still be able to eat the bones he has always eaten. In fact, a member here, Iorveth has one with lots of missing teeth, and he does just fine. He just changed the way he chews to adapt to it.

• Iorveth likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

He should be fine. My boxer had terrible teeth when I got her, so most of her molars and pre-molars were removed. She had a way of eating almost any food (and handled it just fine).

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I see my boy has been mentioned. He has a good number of teeth for a Xolo, but we do call him "Toothless" like the dragon from How To Train Your Dragon and "Gummy" like Pinkie Pie's toothless pet alligator on My Little Pony. 

Maximus will likely change the way he picks at things and the way he chews to compensate for it, so I do advise you keep a close eye on his teeth to see if any tartar buildup occurs on the side with the missing tooth, but otherwise, he probably won't even notice he's missing a tooth. If tartar buildup occurs anywhere for either of my boys, I just give them something complicated like a goat neck that makes them use all of their teeth. Even adult Xolos can lose teeth throughout their life and Iorveth is a fairly unusual case because he still has all four canines. Raw feeding doesn't seem to be a hot topic in the Xolo community and so many Xolo owners feed at least partial raw so there are lots of raw fed Xolos out there with missing canines that eat just fine. Iorveth never had baby canines at all and there was no struggling to eat.

This is what Iorveth's mouth looks like: 

http://preymodelraw....kkid-dog-teeth/

He is missing quite a good number of teeth, but they adapt and learn how to chew just fine. He eats everything Buck eats. Little crunchy treats are really the only thing that give him trouble because he has to get them right on those carnassial in the back to chew them, but it hardly slows him down at all. 

For Maximus's recovery period, I suppose you could feed him ground meat with some bone meal or egg shells mixed in to avoid irritating the wound. I think that's really the only thing I'd do and the mouth heals pretty quickly, I think. I'm not a vet, obviously, so I don't know what a raw feeding vet would think about that, but I wouldn't be terribly worried.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO