Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

We're Back!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I havent been on here in probably 5 or 6 months...Earlier topics that i have posted were about how much of a struggle it is to pmr for McGee...Well, he still hasnt gotten any better!  Ive grown a thicker skin since last ive been on here.  I stick with the tough love approach.  Ive gotten into the mindset that whatever is in his bowl has to be eaten before I add new food in It because I pay top dollar for his food.  He really doesn't eat much at all he regularly goes 2 or 3 days refusing everything or just barely nibbling his food.  Some days he looks underweight (ribs sticking out, spine sticking out), but I know that raw feeding is the best thing for his health...Yes, we exercise a decent amount - at least 4 miles per day.  Some days i still think about just going back to kibble because he will gobble that up, but I just want him to live the longest and healthiest life possible bc he is everything to me - I could write a book on how much he has helped me emotionally, physically, and spiritually.  I wish he knew how much freaking work i put into his stinking meals!!!!!!!!!  He does LOVE bone broth, i got that cooking now in the crock pot day 3 - turkey, lamb, fish, butcher scraps, pheasant, chicken feet...Anything else i find laying in the back of his 5 foot stand up freezer.  I keep  the crockpot running for about 5 days and add new things to it everyday.  Does anybody else have an incredibly over the top stubborn picky eating dog??!! Opinions on him being kept thin all the time?  Would it be best just to incorporate some kibble into his food at this point?

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I havent been on here in probably 5 or 6 months...Earlier topics that i have posted were about how much of a struggle it is to pmr for McGee...Well, he still hasnt gotten any better!  Ive grown a thicker skin since last ive been on here.  I stick with the tough love approach.  Ive gotten into the mindset that whatever is in his bowl has to be eaten before I add new food in It because I pay top dollar for his food.  He really doesn't eat much at all he regularly goes 2 or 3 days refusing everything or just barely nibbling his food.  Some days he looks underweight (ribs sticking out, spine sticking out), but I know that raw feeding is the best thing for his health...Yes, we exercise a decent amount - at least 4 miles per day.  Some days i still think about just going back to kibble because he will gobble that up, but I just want him to live the longest and healthiest life possible bc he is everything to me - I could write a book on how much he has helped me emotionally, physically, and spiritually.  I wish he knew how much freaking work i put into his stinking meals!!!!!!!!!  He does LOVE bone broth, i got that cooking now in the crock pot day 3 - turkey, lamb, fish, butcher scraps, pheasant, chicken feet...Anything else i find laying in the back of his 5 foot stand up freezer.  I keep  the crockpot running for about 5 days and add new things to it everyday.  Does anybody else have an incredibly over the top stubborn picky eating dog??!! Opinions on him being kept thin all the time?  Would it be best just to incorporate some kibble into his food at this point?

Welcome back. 

Best thing you can do for a gundog IMO is to keep them thin. There is "too thin" (and not sure what you're dealing with) but Vizslas should be lean. If you need to raise both interest and calories, you might look at the fat content of the meals, and work on increasing them.

Saturated raw fat/trim or quality coconut oil can spur the appetite, raise calories, and will supply needed energy.

My V would eat his bowl if it weren't stainless steel. No pickiness issues here. But even he re-doubles the enthusiasm when there is more good fat *like a little added coconut oil) to be had. Raise the percentages incrementally.

Best luck with McGee, and good to see you!

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome back! 

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Welcome back. 

Best thing you can do for a gundog IMO is to keep them thin. There is "too thin" (and not sure what you're dealing with) but Vizslas should be lean. If you need to raise both interest and calories, you might look at the fat content of the meals, and work on increasing them.

Saturated raw fat/trim or quality coconut oil can spur the appetite, raise calories, and will supply needed energy.

My V would eat his bowl if it weren't stainless steel. No pickiness issues here. But even he re-doubles the enthusiasm when there is more good fat *like a little added coconut oil) to be had. Raise the percentages incrementally.

Best luck with McGee, and good to see you!

Bill

Thanks!  Oh yes, we add coconut oil, salmon oil, and a veggie blend that I make from my garden out back (I know that is against pmr, but he likes it and the percentage is so small.).  He is just stinkin picky, my goodness!  Nah, I wouldn't say that he looks malnourished thin.  I just keep telling myself, well, the fewer meals he eats means less shopping and saving more $$ ;) .​​ That boy is killing me!  By the way, we got 3rd place at our very first Rally Novice A trial wahoooo!!!  It was both of our first time being in the ring, I nearly passed out right before walking out there since I have severe anxiety...BUT we got through it!  I was a proud mama, probably signing up for another one in the winter.  He turned some heads there that's for sure.

• Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Thanks!  Oh yes, we add coconut oil, salmon oil, and a veggie blend that I make from my garden out back (I know that is against pmr, but he likes it and the percentage is so small.).  He is just stinkin picky, my goodness!  Nah, I wouldn't say that he looks malnourished thin.  I just keep telling myself, well, the fewer meals he eats means less shopping and saving more $$ ;) .​​ That boy is killing me!  By the way, we got 3rd place at our very first Rally Novice A trial wahoooo!!!  It was both of our first time being in the ring, I nearly passed out right before walking out there since I have severe anxiety...BUT we got through it!  I was a proud mama, probably signing up for another one in the winter.  He turned some heads there that's for sure.

Congratulations on the Rally.

You might see if you can find a source for fresh trimmed beef or pork (or other) trim. Vizslas and WVs should be lean (but well muscled). If McGee is really too thin good fat will provide calories and energy. Does he like fatty cuts? Cheap pork cuts like shoulder and butt tend to be fatty. Your butcher might have trim to sell you.

Don't up the salmon oil too much.

I'm skeptical of the veggies. Not for "ideological" reasons, but the limited evidence seems to point to small amounts of carbohydrates being enough to disrupt optimal fat metabolism and it leads to lactic acid in the muscles (via carb-burning) which cuts stamina. 

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I'm not big on veggies either, due to the lack of being able to digest most of them very well. What little nutrients they do get from any, are also in raw meat/bone/organ in larger amounts,  and are in a  much more available form for the dog to be able to use.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
My sib is very picky too she'll sometimes eat something one night then won't touch it the next she won't touch organs unless there frozen I don't blame her on that one haha. I've learned to rotate what she eats I don't let her get used to her food I switch it up hand feed it to him on some days it's great bonding time aswell. But if he doesn't eat pick it up till next meal with no treats that has worked for me as well. Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO