Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pork Organs

Best Answer Spy Car , 19 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

Let's put it this way, a typical daily amount of PMR food for a dog your size is going to be about 5 oz. With PMR 10% of the diet should be organs (half of that being liver).

So if fed on a daily basis that's 0.5 oz of organs. And usually, people build up their dogs to PMR levels to avoid upsets (on either end).

Personally, I like feeding organs daily. Liver one day and "other" (kidney, spleen, pancreas, thymus, etc) the next. So for your dog the eventual daily target size would be equivalent to cutting that kidney into 6 equal pieces. But at the beginning, I'd go much smaller than that.

Some people feed organs less frequently which means bigger portions in organ meals to stay at 10%. More risk of upset IMO.

Go slow.

Bill

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Joydle

Joydle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I found some pork kidneys, livers, and hearts at my local Asian market and gave my 15lb Cavoodle half of one of the kidneys last night.  

She played with it for 30 minutes and only ended up eating half of it, then she threw up what she had eaten later in the evening.  

Should I halve the amount I gave her, or quarter it for the next time I offer it?  

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome first of all! I'm not sure how much you gave, but giving half of the amount may be a good idea if it came back later. 

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Half a whole pork kidney is alot in one sitting for a 15 pound dog.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

So I guess it was really half of a whole kidney? If it was half of a WHOLE kidney, then that is way too much. Also, how long has she been on raw? I would just give a tiny amount at first. Like, a teaspoon amount, and slowly build from there. But even still, you won't ever need to give as much as it sounds like you did at once. It can be broken up into several small amounts throughout the week. 

Joydle

Joydle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

It was 3oz and she probably ate half of that.  She's been eating raw for about 2 months now and has done great on chicken hearts/gizzards.

So bring the pork organs waaaaaay down.  Okay.  Good to know, thank you!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

Organs are rich, and it doesn't take much. Some dogs can only handle a very small amount at a time, and you will learn what is an ok amount for your dog, and how often, too.  

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
✓  Best Answer

Let's put it this way, a typical daily amount of PMR food for a dog your size is going to be about 5 oz. With PMR 10% of the diet should be organs (half of that being liver).

So if fed on a daily basis that's 0.5 oz of organs. And usually, people build up their dogs to PMR levels to avoid upsets (on either end).

Personally, I like feeding organs daily. Liver one day and "other" (kidney, spleen, pancreas, thymus, etc) the next. So for your dog the eventual daily target size would be equivalent to cutting that kidney into 6 equal pieces. But at the beginning, I'd go much smaller than that.

Some people feed organs less frequently which means bigger portions in organ meals to stay at 10%. More risk of upset IMO.

Go slow.

Bill

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Found it hard to get a balance of organ meats into a small dog. Do like I do, put all the organs through a blender and fill one ounce silicon ice cube trays - then freeze. Hard plastic trays don't work well.

Jagger hates individual organ meats, but went absolutely nuts for these frozen blocks. One a day, fed them as late night treats.

• naturalfeddogs and Spy Car like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO