Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Husky Seems Put Off By Her Food

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi guys back again with this she seems put off by her food not interested anymore last night she only ate a turkey neck that weighed about 6oz she went back to her bowl and turned around so I picked it up and she hasn't gotten anything since. I just tried feeding her 10 minutes ago and she didn't even touch it. So I picked it up again for the time being but she has to be hungry doesn't she or is she really being that stubborn, this morning she was talking up a storm definitely looks like wanted to eat is this her telling me she wants to eat on her time? She hasn't had a problem till about a month ago I've noticed this she usually ate around 5pm I've tried adding a bit of coconut oil to switch it up on her instead of the salmon oil didn't work not to sure what to do I have a good amount of protein in rotation turkey chicken lamb beef fish pork. Sorry for rambling thanks in advance.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Is she doing this with all proteins? You seem to have a good number of proteins. They can take their stubborn streaks, all of mine do on occasion. How many days has she gone without eating? Has she always been that way with turkey?

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Yes with all proteins, she just looks at the bowl and walks away. Last night she ate a turkey neck weighing about 6-7oz and that was it today she just didn't eat anything so about a day and a half. And she's always loved her food im not sure what's up to be honest she used to do back flips at meal time now she won't even get up at times when she hears me getting her food in order.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
She has her bowl down for about 15 minutes now and she went for the chicken drumstick, kinda weird that she's went for the bones the last few time she usually waits for those till the end. Yesterday she at the neck then didn't touch anything else so I guess I'll see what happens soon. I'll fill ya in.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

Sounds like she's being picky to me. As long as she is otherwise healthy, she will eat eventually. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Is she intact? I'm wondering if she might have something hormonal going on. Bitches that are in heat or pregnant (including "false pregnancies," where their hormones are telling them they're pregnant when they're really not) may be moody/picky and exhibit traits they normally don't. While neutered dogs usually don't get as hormonal, I have heard of *rare* cases of neutered bitches still having mood fluxes like intact ones.

Sounds like she could be picky... you know her better than we do. I hope you guys get this figured out.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Yeah she's definitely stubborn. She used to do back flips at meal time now it's just whatever to her. She'll eat whatever I give to her as rmb but the past few days she won't eat any boneless meat I'll leave it down for 15 and it'll still be there so I'll pick it up and she won't get anything from me. Should I switch up her eating times I usually feed her around 6pm after our day is done should I do it early so she goes about her day on a full stomach?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

If that's the time she has always eaten in the past, and she's used to that I would stick with it. She will eat eventually, so I would keep on as usual. If you do decide to change up feeding times, just be sure she has time to digest for around 45 minutes to an hour before and after eating without getting all wound up, if that makes sense. I personally feed mine later in the evening when I know they are inside, and settling down. It just seems to help keep from disrupting the digestive system.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Yeah she's definitely stubborn. She used to do back flips at meal time now it's just whatever to her. She'll eat whatever I give to her as rmb but the past few days she won't eat any boneless meat I'll leave it down for 15 and it'll still be there so I'll pick it up and she won't get anything from me. Should I switch up her eating times I usually feed her around 6pm after our day is done should I do it early so she goes about her day on a full stomach?

Ideally dogs shouldn't go around on a full stomach. A raw diet provides plenty of available energy so a late evening meal is not a problem for supplying the dog with energy.

Bill
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
That's what I was thinking should I just continue the tough love approach I just got home from work and she definitely is hungry so I'm hoping for the best. Also I'm not sure if it's anything but she has been spending a lot of time with my girlfriends pit and he's a male not neutered my girl is but could that have something to do with it she does seem a little bit sad whenever I do come home sad that he isn't here. Just a random thought.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

Is your girlfriend giving her anything to eat when she's with her? Snacks or anything? That would affect her appetite possibility.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
No she's not and my parents may have been giving her some pb in her Kong but I told them to cut that out I just fed her again 10 minutes ago and she ate the chicken drumstick but not any of the boneless meat. She'll just walk away from it..

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

Offer something boneless each day until she eats it. She will eventually. All healthy dogs will always eat at some point. They won't starve themselves. Boneless is the biggest part of a raw diet, so she needs to learn to eat it too. I know its not ideal, but what about starting her on boneless with some ground, then slowly start adding in boneless chunks as she starts eating the groung well? Maybe that could be an introduction to boneless for her.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Very weird predicament. We're it my dog (who would eat his bowl were it not stainless steel) I'd assume something was off.

But doesn't sound like that's the case?

Have you tried feeding the boneless meats either frozen or semi-frozen to change the texture? Given the dog will eat a "harder" bone-in meal, I would try offering frozen if you haven't already.

Head-scratcher.

Bill

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Just fed her again ate same thing ate the chicken drumstick and walked away from the boneless. @natural a month ago she was eating just fine all types of meats that's why I'm confused. @spycar I fed them thawed at first when she was younger now I keep them frozen semi froze so she would slow down cause she would eat so fast. That's why I'm a little worried she used to destroy her meal. Also I fed her around my girlfriends dog today to see if she'd get defense over it at all and see didn't even case he was getting close or that I fed it to him she just seems so put off by it.. Could it be the salmon oil im using I've used it before with her it's kronch salmon oil any ideas how to tell if it's bad but it doesn't make sense why she'll eat the chicken drumstick and not the boneless. And also last night after she didn't eat I seared her food real fast the boneless part and she ate it real fast. Just really stumped and not sure if I should be worried I mean she is eating but it's no way he full diet

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Searing (very lightly) would have been my next suggestion. I'd certainly try not putting the salmon oil on the food. Dog's noses are so powerful.

Bill

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Okay I will try those steps tomorrow should I proceed the tough love route no snacks to dinner?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

I would continue the tough love route, yes. Stop the salmon oil as well like Bill suggested. Maybe continue to sear for a couple more days or so, and then slowly back off of it and feed it less and less seared at each meal until she's eating it raw. 

• Spy Car likes this

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Okay will do I'll be feeding her soon here. I'll keep yall updated .

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Fed her again only ate the chicken drumstick I gave her the bonless meat frozen earlier in the day as a treat and she ate it so she ate her full meal technically just didn't eat the bonless meat that was in her bowl at dinner time today which was 3oz. I'm so confused on why she won't eat it at dinner time but will gladly take it and eat it as a snack I'm off tomorrow so she won't be getting anything till dinner and I'll be making sure of that but besides that is this something I should start to worry about I mean shes still eat and active I just am worrying now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO