Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Husky Seems Put Off By Her Food

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

If frozen is the way she eats it, then at each boneless meal give it frozen. That may be the trick.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Im really hoping should I go ahead and feed her tonight or fast her today?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

If night is normally when you feed, then I would go ahead as normal, and try to feed frozen boneless. 

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Yes I feed her around 6pm, you think I should put it all in her bowl or hold on the bone till I see what she does with the boneless.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Cause she used to eat all the boneless first when I first started then ate the bone she did that every meal now she eats the bone first and will hardly if hardly touch the boneless now It just looked like she's so confused on what it is or turned off by it.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Yep, hold off on the bone until she eats the boneless. 

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
If she doesn't eat the boneless shouting give her the bone or hold off till tomorrow? I would think that's giving in into her stubbornness.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Hold off. If you give in and give her the bone she wants, she will continue this pattern. If she doesn't eat the boneless, take it up and offer it again at the next meal time. Assuming a dog is otherwise healthy they won't starve themselves. She'll eventually give in before you. She's just figured out that if SHE holds out, she will get what she wants. Its her way of playing you, so to speak.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Okay sounds good to me I'll update tonight I appreciate everything so far.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Just fed her any nothing just put 6oz of boneless meat in her bowl picked up a piece which she thought was a bone then dropped it and went back to the bowl walked away came up to me gave me the look lol and layed down. Should I start to worry obviously she's hungry I know it's day two of this but she needs to eat boneless meat she has in the past why stop now? So confused love!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Two days isn't a big deal for a dog. I have heard of them going for nearly a week or so before giving in and eating. I wouldn't give in at all. She needs to eat boneless, and she will eventually. Remember, you are offering food, she is the one making the choice to not eat it.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Okay do you have any opinions on why she isn't eating is when she used to devour her food about a month ago. about 2 weeks ago I've noticed her not having much interest. I know huskies are stubborn breed but other than that?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

As long as she's eating other foods like the bone in ones, but just not boneless, my guess is just pickiness. If she gets to where she isn't eating anything, then a vrt visit may be in order. But I say pickiness. Mine do it occasionally too, and by the next day is usually enough and they decide they better eat. 

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
That's what I'm thinking cause she still hops up to anything else but her food which tells me she hungry I just hope we have a good meal today

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi guys sorry for such the late update phone cracked and had no access to Internet. Mya has been eating her meals every night still being picky here and there but I'm taking notes realizing what she likes and doesn't like. As for treats throughout the day what do you guys do? I've been cutting back so she eats her meals I think that was a big part my parents giving her food mistaking her begging for being hungry.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Yea right now no treats. Get her back on a schedule of set meals, and once she gets back to normal, and is eating as she should again, maybe introduce some snacks. I use chicken feet, and sometimes chicken hearts when and if I give treats. I'm not real big on giving them, because none of mine really want snacks or meals outside of regular scheduled meals.

Zachherer

Zachherer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
When you say they don't want snacks normally does that mean they don't beg when you open chips or something etc if you know what I mean. Do they beg for the food they don't eat so to speak.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
I generally don't do treats unless we're training or they have to endure something (i.e. nail trimming). Of course, most dogs will beg for food regardless of whether they're even hungry. I think that is a survival instinct. If wild canines pass up food, they have no guarantee of another meal.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

When you say they don't want snacks normally does that mean they don't beg when you open chips or something etc if you know what I mean. Do they beg for the food they don't eat so to speak.

They don't beg, and if I offer it they usually just look at it and walk away. But then their scheduled feeding time is a whole different deal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO