Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Help Starting Out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

hrholzschuh

hrholzschuh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a 100lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that has been on raw for two weeks.  He has been eating chicken thighs and chicken leg quarters.  He has done great on it, no diarrhea or anything.  I am ready to introduce a new meat.  I think I am going to add turkey and then beef but my main obstacle now that I have gotten started, is figuring out which parts are best and which are off limits.  I know weight bearing beef bones are off limits but what about beef necks and beef tails?  If I use beef trimmings, do I need to feed with a chicken back or something with more bone?  I have read beef hearts, livers, and tongues are good but that you should wait to introduce organs and muscle meats.

As far as turkey goes, I have read some articles that say some turkey parts like wings and legs are too brittle.  Is this the case?  Turkey necks would be good right?  

If you guys could give me some suggestions on what parts you feed, I would really appreciate it! 

• ThomasEl likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

I pretty much feed tongue to tail on most animals. With larger prey animals (roughly those over 100 pounds. ie. cattle, deer), I tend to avoid large, dense bones. Some dogs know to just gnaw on those, others get too zealous and could break a tooth. A "know thy dog" situation. 

Something of a bigger issue to me is avoiding meat that has been enhanced with a lot of sodium or something special to season it (meant to appeal to human consumers).

Turkey would be a good next meat to introduce. I primarily feed turkey necks because of cost (I can order a 30# case for $30 at the grocery store). Wings are pretty boney. Drumsticks are OK, but dense for some dogs. I have fed whole turkeys before without issue (broken down, but all the parts).

I've not had the opportunity to feed beef neck (no where to get it), but I have fed oxtail.

I've fed whole rabbit, (young) goat, deer, duck, and chicken. I've fed beef muscle meat (pretty much all "meat" is muscle), tongue, liver, tripe and tail. I primarily offer turkey necks, though I've used the whole animal on occasion. Lamb is usually a steak and tripe. Mice (for the cat) and quail have also been fed. There's probably more I'm forgetting, but I hope this helps. The bulk of my "rotation" now is beef, rabbit and poultry (duck, chicken, quail), though deer and fish have been thrown in there.

Below is some general raw feeding advice:

PMR ratios are 80% muscle meat/10% bone/10% organ. You may need to adjust these ratios slightly as each dog’s needs differ to some degree. Some people feed “balance over time” (i.e. over the course of a week), whereas others balance out the correct ratio for each meal.

At least three meats in the rotation--but more is better. Red meats are also supposed to be more nutritious. Start with one protein (whatever is readily available) and add another when you feel your dog is ready (e.g. every other day or week).

Make sure to give liver at around 5% of diet (either feed weekly or daily). This can be from any species. You may offer small amounts (e.g. bite-sized pieces) from the start and gradually build your dog up to the recommend amount.

Chicken feet (and duck, if you can find them) are a good source of glucosamine and chondroitin (for joint health).

For conventionally raised meat (like you get at the grocery store), offer some salmon oil or oily fish (e.g. mackerel) to the diet for omega-3 fatty acid to help balance the omega-6. Too much omega-6 in the diet can cause inflammation, hence the need to balance it. Grass-fed meat animals have a better omega-3/omega-6 ratio which shouldn't require supplementation.

Further Reading:

Work Wonders by Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olson, PhD

Canine Nutrigenomics by Dr. Jean Dodds

I wish you guys all the best! Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Turkey is fine next, and for a dog your size he may be able to handle some beef ribs, or necks. I don't feed any beef bones at all due to just too dense for my dogs. 

I also do t give Turkey wings or necks to mine, not because of too brittle, just too dense. They are much denser than chicken but your dogs can likely handle them just fine. I do however give turkey necks. They are much softer. 

As far as organs, if your dog is handling all the proteins well maybe halfway through, you could introduce them in a very small amount to begin with. Organs are very rich. I always give them with something bone in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO