Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Safe To Feed?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I recently bought 40lbs of Vital Farms (by Backyard Birds) chicken drumsticks through Texas Tripe. This batch was one of the worst smelling I have ever purchased and I've been purchasing this product from TT for nearly 2 years now. 

It was very bloody as if this batch of chickens weren't drained properly and nearly all the drummies look bruised. I trimmed off some freezer burned skin/fat and some looked rancid (grey color). Finally, the smell...I know Vital Farms/BYB uses a vinegar/water solution to clean their chickens after butchering instead of the traditional chlorine bath. This batch smells like ammonia or something that was fermented. Closest thing I can describe it as is as if you mixed vinegar, water and fish sauce together and left it out in the hot sun for a few days.

Based on this info, should I ask Texas Tripe for a refund? Or would it be OK to feed? 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

It is probably ok to feed, but if you have any doubts, contact them and see what they say. I know I have left chicken outside to thaw all day in the summer before, and the smell will about knock you down. Chicken seems to sour very quickly, even refridgerated. But that smell seems to make mine like it more. But if you don't feel right about what you have, certainly let them know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO