Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Dog Not Eating Beef

Best Answer TRDmom , 16 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

If push came to shove, you could try dehydrating or cooking the patty to get him to eat it. I wouldn't buy the beef patties again if that's his reaction to them. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

slothritis

slothritis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hey all! So I started my dog on "reel raw" and he absolutely loves it! I've been feeding him mainly chicken and turkey for the past few weeks. Today I fed him beef, and he didn't even touch it. With the chicken and turkey, he inhaled them. But the beef patty, he ate a piece and spit it out. I was wondering if this is something to be worried about, should I keep trying to feed him the beef? He has had beef before, in both kibble and home cooked ways, But not raw.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
How does the meat smell? Does it appear fresh? Is the texture different than the other meats he's had? You might try another day and see if it goes any better. I've heard of Reel Raw, but haven't used them. I've pretty much used whole pieces or coarsely ground (on occasion). I'd try another form of beef if the patty form isn't liked. If Reel Raw doesn't have whole pieces, try a steak (chuck is usually not too expensive) from the grocery store. Beef heart is another cheaper option.

slothritis

slothritis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

How does the meat smell? Does it appear fresh? Is the texture different than the other meats he's had? You might try another day and see if it goes any better. I've heard of Reel Raw, but haven't used them. I've pretty much used whole pieces or coarsely ground (on occasion). I'd try another form of beef if the patty form isn't liked. If Reel Raw doesn't have whole pieces, try a steak (chuck is usually not too expensive) from the grocery store. Beef heart is another cheaper option.

Yesterday, I tried to feed him again. He ate a lil more than the first time, but still didn't finish it. But as far as texture and all that, it seems its like a hamburger patty. He does eat the beef raw meaty bone, but like i said, not the patty.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,274 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Try some actual beef, maybe. It may be something about the reel raw beef used. Reel raw is commercial, right?

slothritis

slothritis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Try some actual beef, maybe. It may be something about the reel raw beef used. Reel raw is commercial, right?

It's direct from a farm. I have tried regular beef from markets and stuff and he's eaten them.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
✓  Best Answer
If push came to shove, you could try dehydrating or cooking the patty to get him to eat it. I wouldn't buy the beef patties again if that's his reaction to them.

slothritis

slothritis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

If push came to shove, you could try dehydrating or cooking the patty to get him to eat it. I wouldn't buy the beef patties again if that's his reaction to them.

He actually ate it last evening! I guess maybe he was just used too getting chicken and turkey and weirded out by beef? I dunno, but I'm glad he ate it.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,274 posts

I'm glad he ate it. Maybe it just wasn't what he expected.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I'm glad to hear he ate it. One thought is texture. My Xolo has a HUGE issue with the texture of certain things. He HATES thawed liver. If you give it to him, He'll wrinkle up his whole snout, spit it out, and look at you like you just tried to poison him. Throw that same piece in the freezer until it's frozen solid and it becomes the best thing in the world. He has all kinds of weird quirks. He's my little weirdo.

Even "normal" dogs can be surprised by textures. My Smooth Collie liked trachea. He did not live to eat like my current two do, but he did enjoy food very much. I was working with him a little bit one day several years ago and tossing him chunks of his dinner. It was a boneless meal with a mix of things. Ground meats, chunks of whole meats, etc. I had a chunk of trachea in there two from some whole animal I had gotten and I will never forget the look on his face when I tossed him the trachea. His face scrunched up and he spit it out so fast. Once he realized what it was, he was happy to eat it, but I think it was the texture that took him by surprise.

Anyhow, my point is that it might just have taken him some time to adjust to it.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,274 posts

Iorveth, you really do need to come around here more often. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO