Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Do I Need To Cut Back On Pingu's Food?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

My cat Pingu is about 5 months old and 7 lbs and has been on raw since I got him in July. He eats mostly whole adult mice and whole chicks with some franken-prey meals in between.

He eats a lot, basically however much he wants since he is a kitten, but he does have a tiny bit of a tummy roll. Is a bit of fat when they are kittens normal? Should I start cutting back on his food? 

When looked at from above he does not look fat, in fact he has a slight waist. Pingu's body seems to be perfect except for his tummy pooch. Should that even be a reason to cut back on food? Is it just a kitten thing?

I could start feeding him by percentages but I have read to feed kittens about 5-10 percent of their current body weight and that is a pretty broad spectrum. Pingu already gets about 7-10 ounces a day, which is roughly around 8% of his current weight.

I don't know if I am worrying for nothing, but his tummy pooch is almost a small handful. Everything else is perfect though.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I call it the jungle pouch.

It's fairly normal but I think that's only the case because most cats are overweight.

I would cut back on his meals a bit- maybe go to 5% per day.

Can you also increase his exercise?

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Is he neutered? A lot of male dogs develop a pouch after getting neutered -- my LeRoux is the longest/thinnest/most muscular cat you will ever meet, but he still has a little pouch (we call it a "pochette" haha).

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Yes he was neutered through the shelter at around 3 months (their terms). I think my cat must be similar to yours, because everything besides his pooch is very slender. He even has a slight waist when looked at from a above. That is why I still don't know if I should even cut back, everything else is so slender I would hate for him to lose weight anywhere other than his belly.

He does get quite a bit of exercise though. He plays all the time with my two dogs, and when we go outside (which is several times a day) he comes outside with us and runs around. Night "tag" with the dogs has become quite a routine since the weather has cooled down a bit.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Yeah this is what my cat looks like

554956_10153182060465657_1925233419_n.jp

It's a bad photo, but yeah. There's NO way he's overweight lol I can feel his ribs slightly and you can tell that he's very slender :) He just has a paunch from being neutered. You can see in the first frame that his tummy tucks in nicely, but then he has some skin that hangs.

I know some breeds of cats also have that paunch to help them elongate their bodies more so that they can sprint/jump longer distances, like the Egyptian Mau.

Here's also a cat body score chart to give you an idea:

Body-Condition-Score-Chart-dog-and-cat1.\

According to the chart, my cat would be between 3 and 5.

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

I think my cat would be like a 4.5 

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members