Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Well, Monty Is A So Far So Good.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Over the last 4 months, Monty is slowly evolving into my dog, been a fun ride to say the least. He's gotten chubby over the winter so it's diet time. Won't be long running it off in the spring but... Taken to adding defrosted veg (corn, beans, carrots etc) and some type of fruit to his diet mainly as filler and cutting back the meat. Oddly enough, he loves all fruit and veg. We're getting more warm days now which allows run time off leash in the parks, so we can both work our guts off :)

Socially he's sound, great with dogs as long as they are good with him. Very calm, very confident. Great around children, big bonus coming from a family with kids - and generally fine being picked up and cuddled by any strangers.

He's full raw, stomach on 4 legs really. If I'm in the kitchen, he's kicking his food bowl around looking for eats. Think he's getting tired of eating bone in chicken, so I think I'll start grinding it. He's taken to hiding whole chicken, found out the hard way when I started pulling raw chicken wings out of my couch and closet. Ewww.

Bugger won't touch raw wild meats, tried him on moose, deer and rabbit, turned up his nose every time, wouldn't even taste it.

Not a big fan of raw fish but loves canned sardines in water, so that's another good protein. Tried him on mackeral, did a weird dance around it but wouldn't eat it.

Tried him on lamb, turned up his nose.

Loves the beef and pork but I'm running out of options for rotations - but a big bonus, he'll eat the organ meats raw, loves raw liver.

Beef and pork wouldn't be enough - I need some more options. Mainly bone options.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I would keep trying the lamb, and do ribs. He's being very picky and sort of training you. Try lamb again, and keep offering at each meal until he eats. If he's healthy, he'll eat when he gets hungry. They do have their preferences just like we do, and some things I don't push the issue on, but others I do. If he will start eating some lamb in the rotation, you would be ok considering he's eating organs well. Beef, pork, lamb and chicken(which I wouldn't grind), and organs would be fine.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Being "devils advocate" -- why wouldn't beef and pork be enough? Especially if he's eating organs. You did say there was some fish he likes, so you've got three sources there. Have you tried turkey or quail?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts

Even with organs, its best to have at least four proteins in the rotation. The more the better, but if lamb were added that would be three good red meats, then chicken. That would be fine. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
I'm not sure the scientific basis for needing at least four different meats to be rotated in a dog's diet. Nutrition research I've read indicates amounts of protein/fat/vitamins/minerals needed, but usually don't dictate how those needs are to be met.

I am part of a raw feeding mailing list-- nearly everyone has a different way of feeding their dog (even ways that I wouldn't feed my own), but the dogs are healthy (vet information is exchanged in the group as well). The goal is to meet nutritional needs, not offer a varied diet. Why? It is possible to feed 20+ different "proteins" and still not meet nutritional needs if you're not offering parts of the animals necessary to meet nutritional requirements (eg. No bones or organs). Yes, it is a good idea to provide variety-- I'm sure the dogs enjoy it--but the main objective is meeting nutritional requirements.

Theoretical question (for everyone):
If nutritional needs are met by one animal, eg. goat, then why is it necessary to rotate through multiple kinds?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts

If goat alone is all you want to feed, then try. But I prefer all the protein varieties I can get, to stay balanced and not become deficiant in a nutrient somewhere over time. Different proteins have different nutrients. But if someone is ok with just one protein.... 

We went through a tough financial patch last year for some time, and our dogs ate majority chicken, some,pork and beef liver. I could tell a difference in coat, activity level and even weight. Once we got back to being able to add beef, venison, pork, lamb, some duck, heart,and turkey, it all changed. Skin and coat, activity levels came back, weight came back nice where it should be. Variety does make a difference.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Ended up throwing out the lamb I bought, he wouldn't touch it and I don't like it. Not cheap around here.

Never thought about duck, maybe i'll give that a try. Going to have to take a run to the asian market, see what they have.

He does get pork ribs, loves them, just had to cut back due to his weight gain. Seem like pork is getting fattier every time I buy it, last pack was more like bone in bacon, gross.

I generally mix in a little vitamin powder when I feed sardines. This was the result with canned mackerel in water, weird dance but he wouldn't eat it.

• TRDmom likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Cute! It looks like he's enjoying the aroma :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO