Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Feeding Rabbit With Fur

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ajsteph87

ajsteph87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I recently saw a video of a dog eating a rabbit whole with the fur & all. Is it ok to feed your dog rabbit with the fur still in tact? My dog is too small to consume the whole rabbit at once, so I would chop it in half, but I am wondering if leaving on the fur will upset his digestive tract? I wanted to ask some advice before doing so. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :thumbsu:

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I've never fed them with fur on, but if they were to catch it themselves that's how they would eat it. And they likely would pull a lot of it off and spit most out. They may just poop some hairy poops. just be sure its flea free. Is it wild rabbit or domestic? You may want to freeze it for a couple weeks or so first if wild, considering all guts are likely going to be eaten. 

I have fed whole chickens, and the dogs pluck them themselves. It looked like a feather pillow exploded in the yard...They spit out all the feathers so hair may be the same.

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Good day ! I think I'm going to make the switch from kibble to raw foods with our dogs. I've read differing points of view on how to feed a rabbit to a dog, and I just want to know how some of you may do it (or, if you sell rabbits to other people as pet food, how they do it). Some folks say they just give the dog a whole rabbit, with head, fur, guts, everything. I would want to skin them, so I can process the pelts. I don't know how much they should be getting in raw food a day. I have two german shepherds, 90lbs and 70lbs. My other concern is that the dogs are white... how do you get blood stains off of a dog? I don't want people thinking my dogs just murdered the entire family when they come over.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

In the rare occasions that I have fed rabbit, it has been skinned and gutted. I did feed the head too.. But mine don't much care for rabbit. They seem to like wild better than domestic, but even still I don't worry about feeding it anymore. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO