Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Does Anybody Feed Mackerel

- - - - - fish mackerel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Metgirl21

Metgirl21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCedar park, tx
Does anybody feed this, what about sodium content? Just trying to find some info before I buy a whole case !

Thanks

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I feed fish oil capsules with mackerel oil, not the fish. Be sure you feed wild caught, not farmed. If it's farmed it won't have the omega3 benefit, which is the whole point of feeding fish.

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Sometimes ! if your dog was low sodium it is the most critical dietary consideration for dogs experiencing heart conditions such as congestive heart failure.  If the High sodium intake may cause your dog to have an increased thirst accompanied with higher intake of water. A veterinarian may restrict you from feeding your dog with high sodium content diet when your dog suffers from kidney disease, liver disease or a heart failure.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

I use to feed Mackerel. But not canned. I got the fresh fish from an Asian market...wild caught. But the last time I fed it, they decided it wasn't their cuppa after all. lol. I steer clear of canned typically because of the high sodium. And feed sardine/anchovy oil and fresh sardines, though I've been out of those for some time. I need to go shopping. But I wonder if they'll turn their noses up at that like they did with the mackerel. Anyhow, my first choice would be fresh sardines. (wild caught)

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
One more issue with canned is the BPA in the lining. Both pet and human food cans have it, unfortunately. BPA is a chemical disruptor and can have negative long-term health consequences.
  • Poodlebeguiled likes this

Metgirl21

Metgirl21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCedar park, tx
I went with the Wild caught smelt!
  • naturalfeddogs and TRDmom like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member