Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Do As I Say, Not As I Do!

Best Answer Poodlebeguiled , 11 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

I solved the mystery! I was cutting up some raw green tripe and Viola`! I remembered. There it is, plain as day, attached to the tripe. Spleen! lol. It's so dark and I had forgotten all about the spleen as one of the organ meets I feed that is not liver. It comes with the tripe because it's just naturally, anatomically right there...attached. 

I balance their meals each meal rather than over time. So, they get a little piece of organ meat in their meal every day, alternating between beef liver and some other organ meat, which gets varied fairly randomly. I order tripe from Hare Today, Gone tomorrow. It is shipped from PA and only during cooler months because I'm on the west coast and it's too far to ship without a very expensive upgrade to a faster shipping. Anyhow, I get a couple big bags to last me. I give them a few chunks of tripe in most meals along with whatever other meat they're getting. If you order something from one of those kind of places, you could get other organ meats. I find most of what I need at Asian markets in the next city over. They have all kinds of weird stuff, some quite disgusting. But hey, I'm not too squeamish thank goodness. haha. 

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

Hi everyone! I am so sorry I haven't been on board for ages. So many things happening. I lost my little Jose` my Chihuahua mix mid March. He was 15 and had developed some neurological symptoms which were rapidly taking a toll on the quality of his life until I had to send him off to Rainbow Bridge.  :(  The vet thought it might have been lymph cancer that had gone to his brain. But no tests because it was apparent that there would be no practical recourse. So, I was glad he did have a good, long life and felt it was his time.

So, moving along, I have a question. First of all, never ever forget to label something you can't recognize. (hence, the title of this thread) lol I have beef liver, kidney, pork liver, lung in my freezer. On the bottom is a pull out basket type drawer that I keep all my main stash of things in...where I go for the source of my little packages that I fix up in baggies and then those go in freezer bags.  It was time to replenish some organ meat. I was getting low on beef liver and kidney or one of the other organs besides liver. So, I pull out this bag that is obviously an organ meat of some kind but there's nothing written on it. It's the darkest colored organ meat I've ever seen. I held it up to the small packages that I have left of beef liver and this is darker. The same with the kidney. This big bag is something so dark, it's almost black. Lots of blood I guess in it. Now, I have gotten lamb kidney (I think) but don't know for sure what this one is. It is not lung because my bag of lung IS marked. Why oh why did I trust my memory or think I'd know what it was so didn't have to label it? What was I thinking? I label everything else. 

So my question is, what is it likely to be? It's not good if I feed only liver or only another organ. Should I just throw everything out and start over...go buy more? It's not that expensive, come to think of it. 

I'll forgive you if you're mad at me for not being around and then coming to ask a question. I've just gotten busy with life I guess and chopping up meat. That keeps me very busy. Not sure if I can keep this up forever. My back is killing me from standing on my feet so long.  :rolleyes:

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Don't worry about not. Ring around for a while....you are the first to be here in many months! No one has been here forever.

I wouldn't throw it out. If you aren't sure re freeze it for now and give it later.

• Poodlebeguiled likes this

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Oh, thank you for your quick reply. Gosh, that's too bad that things have been so quiet here. I hope some more people join or return. It's just one of those kind of forums I guess where there aren't a lot of discussions because there aren't a lot of topics other than feeding that people come here for. It might be nice if it were more of a diverse kind of chat thing. Oh well. Thanks for your reply. I'll try to determine this somehow for a little while. I wouldn't want to go too long without giving liver or feeding only liver and not the other kinds of organ. Oy! lol. Hope all is well with you and your dogs.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I only feed beef liver as my only organ, because it's all I have to choose from around here. How often do you feed organ? I personally feed it weekly, and know some who feed it monthly.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
✓  Best Answer

I solved the mystery! I was cutting up some raw green tripe and Viola`! I remembered. There it is, plain as day, attached to the tripe. Spleen! lol. It's so dark and I had forgotten all about the spleen as one of the organ meets I feed that is not liver. It comes with the tripe because it's just naturally, anatomically right there...attached. 

I balance their meals each meal rather than over time. So, they get a little piece of organ meat in their meal every day, alternating between beef liver and some other organ meat, which gets varied fairly randomly. I order tripe from Hare Today, Gone tomorrow. It is shipped from PA and only during cooler months because I'm on the west coast and it's too far to ship without a very expensive upgrade to a faster shipping. Anyhow, I get a couple big bags to last me. I give them a few chunks of tripe in most meals along with whatever other meat they're getting. If you order something from one of those kind of places, you could get other organ meats. I find most of what I need at Asian markets in the next city over. They have all kinds of weird stuff, some quite disgusting. But hey, I'm not too squeamish thank goodness. haha. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Good! So glad you figured out what it was. 

I wish I could find an Asian market somewhere around me, but I have yet to find one, but the search will continue!

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Yes, it would be nice, though I haven't been to one for a while. Mostly I find things like steaks and chicken at an outlet store...Grocery Outlet (don't know if you have one) or even regular grocery stores when something is about to expire...I look at dates and if I remember, come back the day before or the very morning it's to expire and they mark the stuff wayyyy down. Not that it costs much to feed and 4 and 7 lb dog but anyhow...Or you can order stuff from an online farm/store like that one. But the stuff is kind of pricey.

Well, thanks! I'm glad I figured it out. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

We have a Sam's, and I get lamb chops and pork belly there, and beef cheek at Walmart. Other than that, the rest is just whatever I can find.

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Organ meats are part of the natural diet of wild canines and felines, and fresh unprocessed organ meats provide superior nourishment included in dry pet food in the form of rendered protein of the pet.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Organ meats are part of the natural diet of wild canines and felines, and fresh unprocessed organ meats provide superior nourishment included in dry pet food in the form of rendered protein of the pet.

If you are talking about organ being included in kibble, it's likely not, and if it is it's cooked to death and useless. That's why nutrients have to be artificially added back in kibble. 

If if you are talking about adding raw organ to a kibble meal, that doesn't always work well for all dogs. Mixing the raw and kibble...

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
I'm bad about not labeling. Its usually easy enough to tell what's what (especially if you're eyeing muscle meat vs organs). Liver has a distinct smell that other parts don't seem to give off... So it helps to use all of your senses. LOL I also seldom feed frozen foods since we feed the cat too (thawed is easier for them to digest). You can better see what you're dealing with when its thawed out.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Oh TRDmom, I don't feed it frozen. I take big piece of organ (like the whole package or half) from my stash (bottom drawer of freezer) once in a while and spend some time cutting it up while it's still semi-frozen (easier to cut) and I package it into little freezer baggies...put it back in the freezer before it thaws for future meals. Anyhow, this mix up will be avoided in the future because I will for sure label stuff better. haha. With the muscle meat it wouldn't really matter. There's the variety and it's not an exact science. But with the organ meat, I like to feed liver and other various organs alternately. 

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Yep, you hit the nail on the head.  ;)  :P

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
Poodlebeguiled, what containers do you store your meat in? I can't use the cardboard boxes (if buying) or don't have packaging (if slaughtering), so everything gets packed in freezer bags. I've been thinking of trying freezer containers, but most are small for human sized meals rather than large pieces of meat. I'm having trouble finding the right size for us.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Trdmom...I put enough for both dogs, one meal in a regular baggie. I fix several of these while the meat is still mostly frozen. (cutting is easier that way. Or if I buy it fresh, not frozen, I cut it up in small pieces (tiny dogs) or freeze the whole thing and deal with it later, depending on how much time I have then. I take several of these baggies with one meal's worth/2 dogs and put those in a freezer zip lock bag. That way I don't use so many freezer bags, which are more expensive. But the little one meal size baggies are all set to go. I put all these things in plastic bins, separating muscle meat from bones and organ meat. I do those things the same way...enough for one meal with the bones and 2-3 meals with the organ because that's a tiny amount. (I balance each meal) For the organ meat I use those little snack sized baggies. So, in the late afternoon (4:30) when they're finished eating, I go to the freezer and pick out what I want for the next night. And it goes in the fridge to thaw slowly. That's my little ritual. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
Thanks for sharing. I'd like to cut back on the amount of freezer bags we use. Each dog gets a meal in a gallon sized freezer bag. The quart size is generally too small. The freezer bags always seem to rip easy too... I did buy a few freezer safe containers to see how that works for us.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Well, with larger dogs, it may require a completely different strategy. Those large sized freezer bags must add up. Containers would be pricey too, if you store a lot of stuff. I suppose one could do only enough for a week or two. The way I have it, there are a LOT of meals in the freezer...like to try to get the work done and have it last for a long time. lol. Actually, I'm getting a little tired of this chore. I may wind up putting them back on a commercial food one of these days...not for a while yet...have a lot of stuff in the freezer still. I do give them Orijen...a small amount for their breakfast or for treats. They like it! They like the kibble with a little water on it better than canned. But then they get their raw at dinnertime. Anyhow, they do pretty well but their digestion varies a lot. One day it's nearly too hard, another day they have the squirts. Another day it's just right. I bend over looking at it, studying the consistency and wonder what the neighbors are thinking. It's always been difficult for me to keep their bowels really consistent and that's not good. And it's not on account of the kibble because I have only recently started giving them that because they seem to need a little something in the morning and I don't want to deal with the raw twice in a day. I just don't have the time. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
I'd prefer being able to wash and reuse the food storage containers. The freezer bags tend to fall apart, regardless of brand (at the seams, zipper, etc). The chest freezer is full for now, so I'll have to wait a bit before trying the new containers out.

I actually like the meal prep. If I order a case of something, I thaw then portion and bag. With larger whole animals, its easy enough to butcher them in meal sized pieces (i prefer larger pieces so the dogs have something to work on). The cat usually has his meal trimmed from one of the dogs' meals rather than getting his own meals packed up.

I feel for you about the GI fluctuations. We're in the opposite boat though. Kibble (grain-free, low carb...), even in small quantities, caused the need to "go" right after eating (they literally couldn't wait a minute), stools were runny yet they strained to get it out, and they were constantly thirsty which equated to constant urinating. It was like having two dogs that weren't house-trained. That was enough to get my husband to ditch kibble (he wanted to try it for a short period of time while he was going to be the main caregiver). Do what you got to do to get some sanity! ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO