Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Commercial Raw Foods

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
Has anyone here researched commercial raw dog foods? I know people who might be interested in that route. Most commercial raw food I've seen has a lot of carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables, alfalfa hay, etc). Cost is a consideration, but not primary (they'd be feeding a roughly 10 pound dog). Thanks for any good leads!

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Raw dog food diets are controversial. But the popularity of the diets which emphasize raw meat, bones, fruits, and vegetables is rising.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

I've been kind of lazy lately, been feeding commercial diet a little more. Small breed frozen blocks are about 3/4 ounce each, defrost and he loves it. It's convenient, and about $30 a month for the 10 pound dog.

I still feed whole foods but he seems to love fruit so I give him some when I have it. No negatives although he's getting a little pudgy again.

Commercial diets are available without fruit or additives, but one needs to research. Some meal in a bag only contains liver as an organ, and it's not enough - seeing those more and more as well. Buyer beware.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Also keep in mind, commercial raw isn't necessarily really "raw". Most, and maybe all commercial raw companies still process their foods with heat. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I've been kind of lazy lately, been feeding commercial diet a little more. Small breed frozen blocks are about 3/4 ounce each, defrost and he loves it. It's convenient, and about $30 a month for the 10 pound dog.

I still feed whole foods but he seems to love fruit so I give him some when I have it. No negatives although he's getting a little pudgy again.

Commercial diets are available without fruit or additives, but one needs to research. Some meal in a bag only contains liver as an organ, and it's not enough - seeing those more and more as well. Buyer beware.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Fruits (and veggies) both have sugars and starch, which contributes to weight gain.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

jagger, what brand/s have you been using? I looked at Stella and Chewy's and Instinct (by Nature's Variety), which have higher meat content, but goodness it looked like over $100 a month to feed a little dog?? Maybe I wasn't looking at that right. 

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

jagger, what brand/s have you been using? I looked at Stella and Chewy's and Instinct (by Nature's Variety), which have higher meat content, but goodness it looked like over $100 a month to feed a little dog?? Maybe I wasn't looking at that right. 

Complete K9, it's made locally.

• TRDmom likes this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Fruits (and veggies) both have sugars and starch, which contributes to weight gain.

I realize that. This little guy is a stomach on 4 legs, sniffs out food everywhere we go. He's been on restricted park access for a couple of weeks now due to being rolled by a couple of overzealous dogs. Still gets a slight limp if I push him too hard, but he's getting better. He's not getting the same amount of exercise, we're gone from 10+ km's a day to 1 or 2 tops but he goes stir crazy if he doesn't get off leash.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
My little one likes to steal bananas off the counter. She tends to like tropical fruits. Do dogs need fruit and vegetables? Most likely not, but organic produce is probably safer than most commercial dog treats.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO